Giants Sign Rowand

DABEARSDABOMB

I don't get it, especially if he only got 13M-14M or so per year (just a guess based on what I've read since the signing has went down). I just think this really makes the off-season a disaster. The Sox made some moves acting as a contender but the reality is they started something going one way and now it looks like they are going to end up in no man's land (with a team not good enough to compete and when that happens you are just putting yourself in a situation to always stay mediocre considering this team has a lot of veterans that are going to, if are not already, be on the decline).

Rowand and Roberts would have given the club a pretty damn good lineup. Now they have a meh lineup, a horrid rotation (until Count/Danks/Floyd prove themselves the rotation is bad; I think they are capable of being solid, but they haven't proved squat yet) and an improved bullpen.

Kenny can still make things happen, but I wonder how, because the farm system (under his watch) has turned into the laughing stock of baseball as well. Things are starting to look real real bad.

Even though we would have had to overpay for him, he was just about all thats left out there worth a damn. This offseason sucks...

Kenny Williams has done an awful job since the World Series win. He has taken us from a team that should be a perrenial contender to a team competing with the Royals for the worst team in baseball...what a joke.

Even though we would have had to overpay for him, he was just about all thats left out there worth a damn. This offseason sucks...

Looking at what other CFers are getting, that isn't overpaying and there is a significant chance he would look pretty damn cheap in 2-3 years.

Looking at what other CFers are getting, that isn't overpaying and there is a significant chance he would look pretty damn cheap in 2-3 years.

I am more than happy to go out on a limb and say that whichever team got Rowand was going to find itself being really disappointed when the .270 hitting, .750 or below OPS Rowand of 2003, 2005, and 2006 re-appears.

I swear...Rowand goes out in a contract year and puts up career numbers. How many guys cash in on those and never put up the same numbers again? If Juan Uribe went out and put up a .320 batting average and a .920 OPS next year, would you guys all suddenly forget about the year after year after year after year of mediocrity and disappointment with the bat and want him signed to 5/$65?

I am more than happy to go out on a limb and say that whichever team got Rowand was going to find itself being really disappointed when the .270 hitting, .750 or below OPS Rowand of 2003, 2005, and 2006 re-appears.

I swear...Rowand goes out in a contract year and puts up career numbers. How many guys cash in on those and never put up the same numbers again? If Juan Uribe went out and put up a .320 batting average and a .920 OPS next year, would you guys all suddenly forget about the year after year after year after year of mediocrity and disappointment with the bat and want him signed to 5/$65?

Finally someone who agrees with me. :cheers

Kenny Williams has done an awful job since the World Series win. He has taken us from a team that should be a perrenial contender to a team competing with the Royals for the worst team in baseball...what a joke.

At the time of the trades, I wasnt too opposed to the Thome or Vasquez deals and though we had improved after them. Since then, I havent been a fan of much of anything theyve done.

Uh, Rowand is better than Owens. We didn't need him to hit .300. Hit .270 with his defense would of been fine.

BTW, who the hell cares what he got paid? You're not paying him anything.

I don't know why fans worry about stuff that they can't control.

Get over it about the big money he got. Sheesh.

I would of loved to hear your opinion if we would of signed him. :rolleyes:

Every player the Sox signs is a gamble. Funny, don't sign Hunter, too old at the end of the contract. Rowand will turn to crap. You are probably one of those guys who want to sign Fukudome, because you've never seen him and anyone you have seen will/is crap.

Every player the Sox signs is a gamble. Funny, don't sign Hunter, too old at the end of the contract. Rowand will turn to crap. You are probably one of those guys who want to sign Fukudome, because you've never seen him and anyone you have seen will/is crap.

For that money, no I didn't want Fukudome, and I'll tell you why. Even if Fukudome exactly replicated his numbers from Japan, I don't think he would have been enough to put the White Sox over the top. With the rest of our division, right now I might say the Sox have a 5% chance at the playoffs. If the Sox signed Fukudome and he was everything we hoped for, that maybe jumps to 7% (assuming none of our CF's perform now). We'd still need a lot of things to go right. We need the pitching staff to hold together with 2 kids in it, we need Contreras to find his old form, we need Vazquez and Buehrle to hold their form from last year, we need Fields to keep developing, and we need Thome, Dye, and Quentin to stay healthy. And even if all those things happened, a good run from Cleveland or Detroit could still beat us.

If I thought the Sox were 1 player away, then ok, I'm willing to spend $15-$18 million a year on that gamble. But IMO, the only way the Sox are 1 player away is if everything goes right. But if one or two things go wrong, if Thome goes down for a month or Dye slumps to start the year again or Contreras doesn't find his late 05 form again, then all signing one of these big money guys does is remove our flexibility to sign a key guy when we actually do have a chance.

The fastest way for the Sox to rebuild this thing is going to be to maximize the value of every single guy they have. That may well mean Trading Thome or Konerko this year if they get off to a hot start and a solid deal becomes available. Same with Dye if he can have a 2006 type season where he's fully healthy. But that also means playing as many of the kids as you can because a couple of them finding ways to succeed turns everything around. This includes Fields, Richar, Quentin, Owens, Anderson, Sweeney, Floyd, Danks, etc. Especially on the guys who are viewed skeptically; a good performance from them either in the big leauges or at AAA can boost their value back up to the level where either they can be useful pieces for the Sox or they can be useful trading chips.

Example; right now, no one would give us jack squat of value for Anderson right now. But, if Anderson could have everything go right, get on a hot streak, and put up decent numbers at AAA or even better in the big leagues, then suddenly his value would go back up because he's still so cheap, and he could either be plugged in or traded for another useful chip. Right now Owens has low value because of his age, but if he got on a hot streak and hit .300 and stole 70 bases next year...that's basically the guy we traded Carlos Lee for.

To rebuild the Sox, you have to maximize the value of every piece you have, and signing a FA doesn't do that. Signing a FA can put you over the top if you're close, but unless our kids come through as it is, all signing a FA would do right now is slow the rebuilding process more.

The point is the White Sox say they are going for it all and they've made a ton of moves stating that so at this point these were there only real options left to go for it and without making these moves the Sox had no chance. They may not have been able to make it with the moves, but they wouldn't be clear cut contenders with the Torri Hunter signing either.

Bottom line the Sox made a boatload of moves based on trying to compete and they knew when they got into it they'd have to go all out to even have a chance and in the end they fell short and becuase of that, resigning Mark/Dye will end up looking bad, same with trading Garland for anything but front end prospects (the only plus is that Cabrera is as valuable and you could probably swing him if necessary) and than you have the Linebrink signing which only makes sense if you plan on contending.

I hope I'm wrong, but barring a major upgrade somewhere this team has little chance (unless Danks/Floyd kick ass).