WR Room and Tyke Tolbert

adam

Of all the position groups, this one has to be one of the most disappointing ones. Outside of Moore's god given talent, has any other player from this group done anything positive this year? Like for me, they have all been net negatives, Claypool, Mooney, Velus, and Scott. St. Brown has barely played this year so I don't even count him and his lack of availability is a negative.

There was the Claypool stuff that started from the day he arrived until he left. Zero accountability both on and off the field. Then there is Velus Jones, who never developed into anything near his draft status, he basically drops passes or fumbles returns. 

Tyler Scott was a later draft pick, but still, only 14 receptions in 14 games, and he had that bad fumble and some bad drops the last few games? These are professionals wearing sticky gloves and they are dropping passes that hit their hands. Has anyone ever tried these gloves? It is actually hard to drop a ball that hits your hands. 

Then there is Mooney, in a contract year, getting the CB2 or CB3 assigned to him, he has more drops this year than his previous 3 years combined. I thought he had this awesome connection with Fields on and off the field. Where did that go? Look at his production pre Getsy and with Getsy? He had 81-1055 in 2021. In 22+23 so far he has 69-902 with 3 games left for a 2-year total. That is barely WR3 production. With his lack of effort in the run game, even on a scramble drill, he lets the DB beat him to the ball, then the effort on the hail mary? Come on man. Something is going on.

To me this is all impacted by coaching, so clearly Tolbert is doing a terrible job right?

13 minutes ago, adam said:

Of all the position groups, this one has to be one of the most disappointing ones. Outside of Moore's god given talent, has any other player from this group done anything positive this year? Like for me, they have all been net negatives, Claypool, Mooney, Velus, and Scott. St. Brown has barely played this year so I don't even count him and his lack of availability is a negative.

There was the Claypool stuff that started from the day he arrived until he left. Zero accountability both on and off the field. Then there is Velus Jones, who never developed into anything near his draft status, he basically drops passes or fumbles returns. 

Tyler Scott was a later draft pick, but still, only 14 receptions in 14 games, and he had that bad fumble and some bad drops the last few games? These are professionals wearing sticky gloves and they are dropping passes that hit their hands. Has anyone ever tried these gloves? It is actually hard to drop a ball that hits your hands. 

Then there is Mooney, in a contract year, getting the CB2 or CB3 assigned to him, he has more drops this year than his previous 3 years combined. I thought he had this awesome connection with Fields on and off the field. Where did that go? Look at his production pre Getsy and with Getsy? He had 81-1055 in 2021. In 22+23 so far he has 69-902 with 3 games left for a 2-year total. That is barely WR3 production. With his lack of effort in the run game, even on a scramble drill, he lets the DB beat him to the ball, then the effort on the hail mary? Come on man. Something is going on.

To me this is all impacted by coaching, so clearly Tolbert is doing a terrible job right?

More reason to try to get MHJ. If you add him the rest of the room doesnt matter. DJ, MHJ, Scott, fill in the blanks. 

6 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

More reason to try to get MHJ. If you add him the rest of the room doesnt matter. DJ, MHJ, Scott, fill in the blanks. 

For sure, they need one of the top 2 or 3 guys. They probably need to pick up another vet in place of Mooney via FA to upgrade the room. Moore + Rook + FA is a much better top 3 than what they have right now.

Mooney is a big disappointment but , if Fields stays , I tink think he may come back on a cheap deal. We can't ignore his 1000 yards season like he's not capable of being a good WR. He has a history with Fields. Was it you that brought up his injury? It definitely is either still a problem or made him worse.

I start with firing the OC and WR coach.   There are clear scheme issues and while I personally lean towards the benefit of the doubt for coaches and players there are just too many poor details in the play calls and play execution.  

Then I bring in more talent.   

Bears drafted Tyler Scott in the 4th round, who has 14 receptions for 141 yards on the season.

Puka Nacua was drafted in the 5th, is about to break the rookie record for receptions and yards in a season. He needs 11 receptions and 147 yards in his last two games to break both records. He had 9 receptions for 164 yards last night. More yards than Scott has all season. 

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I start with firing the OC and WR coach.   There are clear scheme issues and while I personally lean towards the benefit of the doubt for coaches and players there are just too many poor details in the play calls and play execution.  

Then I bring in more talent.   

I agree, both need to go, very underwhelming, and I agree on the talent. For me, Scott has underperformed and will be right behind Velus off the team. Honestly, I would expect some competition next year for a roster spot. Just because he is a 4th round pick, shouldn't make him a roster lock. He is playing at or below a replacement player level. 

Leggette is supposed to fly up the draft board after the combine ala Aj brown or DJ Metcalf.  He's already up 50 slots into the top of the second round.  In the games I watched SC, He's super fast and big with decent jump ball skills.  Back shoulders and hi points should keep him paid.

Yac God is like Deebo without the physicality. I only watched on of his games unfortunately. His jump cuts and twitch is off the charts at his size.  It will all depend on his combine speed.