Compensatory picks

50england50

I could be wrong, but I think compensatory picks happen when you lose more and better free agents than you sign.

Poles is setting up a system where we will have lots of young players, and if we do well we wont be able to keep them all. So you trade away GOOD players a year before their big payday for extra draft capital, and if you can't find willing partners for that, then they become free agents and you lose them and get compensatory picks.

Teams that chase winning today who dont have the roster to sustain that are the ones who sign more free agents than they lose - that's been us.

I think starting next year or the year after, we will see this for the Bears. Trading good players away (probably to the chagrin of many members of this board who are overly loyal to current players) and letting free agents walk will get us that increased draft capital in trades and compensatory picks.

Then we will be set up in a system that sustains itself. poles has done really well creating this, especially having the balls to tank the 2022 year which was the only way to get here.

31 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

What does Ryan Poles need to do so the Bears start getting some compensatory picks in 2025 and to regularly receive them in the future. It seems like teams like the 49ers know how to manage the system. What are we doing wrong?

Yeah the Bears have to lose more free agents than they sign, and based on salary range. So Mooney signing helps the Bears, but then is negated by one of the Bears FAs who signs for a similar amount. 

9 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah the Bears have to lose more free agents than they sign, and based on salary range. So Mooney signing helps the Bears, but then is negated by one of the Bears FAs who signs for a similar amount. 

And some guys count and some guys don't. So I know our safety signing doesn't count since he was released (vs. FA).  

21 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

And some guys count and some guys don't. So I know our safety signing doesn't count since he was released (vs. FA).  

Yep, only UFAs count, so Swift (3/24) and Everett (2/12) so far vs Mooney (3/39), Jones (3/30)

Swift - 5th, Everett - 6th
Mooney - 4th, Jones - 5th

Even though the Bears have higher rounds, I believe they would cancel out. We would need the Bears to lose more than they gain.

Here is a good breakdown on the cancellations. Denver is a good example in there, as they gained and lost 3, and all of them cancelled each other out.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Yep, only UFAs count, so Swift (3/24) and Everett (2/12) so far vs Mooney (3/39), Jones (3/30)

Swift - 5th, Everett - 6th
Mooney - 4th, Jones - 5th

Even though the Bears have higher rounds, I believe they would cancel out. We would need the Bears to lose more than they gain.

Here is a good breakdown on the cancellations. Denver is a good example in there, as they gained and lost 3, and all of them cancelled each other out.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart

Is there anyone else who is going to get signed of value that will help Bears as it relates to this?  

4 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Is there anyone else who is going to get signed of value that will help Bears as it relates to this?  

Eddie Jackson won't count, either will Whitehair (if he signs anywhere).

However, guys like Ngakoue, Patrick, Feeney, Green, and Foreman may have a shot if their AAV is over $3M. Guys like St. Brown, Cole, and Taylor may sign somewhere, but it will more than likely be a vet min deal which won't count.