Arm Length, offensive/defensive lineman, and Poles.

killakrzydav

I'm thinking, without looking up individual arm lengths, that Poles favors longer armed prospects and wanted to have a discussion or thoughts on how he's choosing his prospects. Last year, we had a OT and several DL come through his draft process and I wanted to predict which Line prospects are Poles dudes.

This year, the only OC prospects, that I can tell you off the top of my head with longer that 33" arms is PSU's center.  JCP has average length and the other top two C prospects have below average length.

Who recalls the arm length on Poles line targets? IIRC, we brought Wright in for a visit correct. Did we draft anybody that we didn't visit?

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

I'm thinking, without looking up individual arm lengths, that Poles favors longer armed prospects and wanted to have a discussion or thoughts on how he's choosing his prospects. Last year, we had a OT and several DL come through his draft process and I wanted to predict which Line prospects are Poles dudes.

This year, the only OC prospects, that I can tell you off the top of my head with longer that 33" arms is PSU's center.  JCP has average length and the other top two C prospects have below average length.

Who recalls the arm length on Poles line targets? IIRC, we brought Wright in for a visit correct. Did we draft anybody that we didn't visit?

I think he looks at athletic types with high RAS scores, length matters. I think he likes speed but they are just  part of the process.  I think one of the main reasons he drafted Jones waa his speed. Where he took him in the draft, he reached for a WR and grabbed a speed guy. Braxton Jones is the perfect example of guys he drafts especially later in drafts , athletic, long arms just didn't have the top competition presence. 

6 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Here are DE RAS scores.  The highest are at the bottom. 

Does this remove Dallas Turner and elevate Jared Verse in Poles eyes? 

Screenshot_20240326_200545_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't think it's absolute but just part of the decision making.  

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I don't think it's absolute but just part of the decision making.  

One part, yes. 

I figured I would drop some nuggets to help compile a list of targets at WR, DE, DT, OT.  My biggest surprise was seeing where a top rated DE like Turner scored. I think we can get a good prospect later in the draft or round 2.  

WRs all seem to hit that 9.9 mark, so you almost have to judge off other metrics.

RAS is overrated as a metric IMO and even as the creator admitted it was never intended to become what it is today.  But it is a nice summary and I like to use it as a quick reference for some basic athletic traits to see if it backs up the play on the field.  Just as often players have a high RAS but aren't good football players.  Dominique Robinson has a 9.73 RAS and still can't find the QB.  

The two physical traits I think Poles has been the most clear about is OT and DE having long arms.  I think that's also a physical trait he likes in DTs but I'm not sure it's as big a deal for IOL, maybe more of a nice to have.     

• 2 weeks later...

I think Poles definitely takes high RAS score guys, but they also have to be football players.

In the past we've had GMs that fall in love with physical skills that werent football players.

Hester is an example. He's a hall of fame returner, but he couldnt play WR or DB to save his life.

I think Fields and Daniels are like this too - great athletes, but not natural football players at their positions.

So I think Poles grades guys three ways: RAS, football playmaking and Bear culture. When he finds guys that are all three, he's got a winning pick.

Other GMs have tried to take guys who had high scores in one area but not the other, and it usually doesnt work out. The idea that you can coach a guy into being an NFL player is less true than these coaches and GMs around the league often think it is. You gotta start with a football player, and of course they need talent and character too.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Poles definitely takes high RAS score guys, but they also have to be football players.

In the past we've had GMs that fall in love with physical skills that werent football players.

Hester is an example. He's a hall of fame returner, but he couldnt play WR or DB to save his life.

I think Fields and Daniels are like this too - great athletes, but not natural football players at their positions.

So I think Poles grades guys three ways: RAS, football playmaking and Bear culture. When he finds guys that are all three, he's got a winning pick.

Other GMs have tried to take guys who had high scores in one area but not the other, and it usually doesnt work out. The idea that you can coach a guy into being an NFL player is less true than these coaches and GMs around the league often think it is. You gotta start with a football player, and of course they need talent and character too.

Agree with most of that but will throw in, player development matters  Poles played the game so I think he takes everything in to account.

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Agree with most of that but will throw in, player development matters  Poles played the game so I think he takes everything in to account.

no doubt you gotta develop them - for example Dexter was in no way NFL ready when he started last year with that slow get off, but they coached him up.

But my point was, that he was always a football player, and not just an athlete. The opposite example would be a player with great get off who wasnt strong and didnt win battles. Trying to coach that up would be much more difficult, and weve seen it fail many times in the NFL.

Velus Jones is an example of an athlete who isnt a player.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

no doubt you gotta develop them - for example Dexter was in no way NFL ready when he started last year with that slow get off, but they coached him up.

But my point was, that he was always a football player, and not just an athlete. The opposite example would be a player with great get off who wasnt strong and didnt win battles. Trying to coach that up would be much more difficult, and weve seen it fail many times in the NFL.

Velus Jones is an example of an athlete who isnt a player.

I am more a fan of players like Jack Sanborn  rather than V Jones types. 

Sanborn isn't your athlete but loves football and is productive. Being athletic does give you a higher ceiling to shoot for but they just don't always develop. 

Example: Dominic Robinson. 

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I am more a fan of players like Jack Sanborn  rather than V Jones types. 

Sanborn isn't your athlete but loves football and is productive. Being athletic does give you a higher ceiling to shoot for but they just don't always develop. 

Example: Dominic Robinson. 

yeah thats what Im saying - that Poles doesnt just draft for RAS scores, although he does seem to like that kind of player, but they are also productive players.

I love "Rudys" like Sanborn, but I prefer high character high motor athletes who are also intense football players like Sandborn. So Im greedy, I want both :)