Positional Groups

adam

Just looking at the team pre-draft by position groups, it is hard to see how this team won't be better this year. Here is what I am thinking:

QB - Right now a downgrade with only Bagent and Rypien, but should be an upgrade in the passing game and a dip in the running game production post-draft.
RB - This group basically went from Foreman to Swift, and Roschon in his 2nd year. That is a clear upgrade and should negate any loss to the rushing game from the QB position.
TE - The addition of Everett makes this a clear upgrade. TE3 needs to be a blocking TE.
WR - Adding Allen and subtracting Mooney is like a double positive here. I don't think WR3 is a huge need with all the other targets on offense to feed. How many targets is WR3 going to get after Moore/Allen/Kmet/Everett/Swift? They would be the 6th option.
OL - Bates and Shelton for Whitehair/Patrick is definitely an upgrade. I would still consider upgrades at C, RG, and LT, but all spots serviceable. 

DT - A downgrade from last year with the loss of Jones
DE - A downgrade from last year with the loss of Ngakoue

LB - No Change, still a top tier group
CB - No Change, still a top tier group
S -  Big upgrade with Byard and Owens

So going into the draft, QB1 is the biggest need followed by Edge, then DT. Then C, RG, LT could use upgrades. Then WR3~4/TE3.

So my Need Tiers are:

Tier 1 - QB, Edge
Tier 2 - DT
Tier 3 - C, RG, WR3/4
Tier 4 - LT, TE3

If they can address the Tier 1 and 2 needs, I think the team is really solid going into the season. I am sure they will sign some vet minimum deals to fill out the bottom of the roster which may be able to address some of the lower tier needs.

So if they go Edge or DT at #9, I would be fine with that decision. A trade back and still getting and Edge and DT would be awesome too.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:15 PM, Stinger226 said:

Plus if they add an edge at 9 , Walker can take snaps inside. 

Great point, I forget about his positional flexibility. That would make a ton of sense.