How bad is Beekman?

nfoligno

Just read that St Clair is set to start at LG this week. I have no problem benching Metcalf who has been awful. I mean, he has been worse than a one armed Brown. But is Beekman so bad that we need to start an OT at OG?

W/ only two games remaining, it is obviously development and evaluation time, hense why Orton is playing. Either Beekman is so bad that our staff doesn't believe he is worth the development time or they simply have no clue when it comes to developing players in meaningless games.

Just read that St Clair is set to start at LG this week. I have no problem benching Metcalf who has been awful. I mean, he has been worse than a one armed Brown. But is Beekman so bad that we need to start an OT at OG?

W/ only two games remaining, it is obviously development and evaluation time, hense why Orton is playing. Either Beekman is so bad that our staff doesn't believe he is worth the development time or they simply have no clue when it comes to developing players in meaningless games.

No, it is "we are playing the best players to win" time. This coaching staff is ridiculous.

The editor of Bear Report said that Beekman is the smallest-looking 310# guard he's ever seen, that he hasn't shown the strength to hold his ground, nor the quickness to pull. If those observations are correct, he isn't going to touch the field unless he shows some big time improvement. Angelo blew it with that pick....

Beekman sits with Bears playing to win

December 21, 2007

By GENE CHAMBERLAIN the courier news

LAKE FOREST -- Lovie Smith's friend and former Tampa Bay coaching colleague Herman Edwards made famous the phrase "Hel-lo ... you play to win the game," during a tirade about finding significance in meaningless late-season games.

Smith is following that same plan with the Bears out of the playoff chase, and it's never been more evident than at starting left guard.

"Right now we're playing the guys that we think give us the best opportunity to win," Smith said.

Despite the benching of Terrence Metcalf and the Bears being out of playoff contention, rookie guard Josh Beekman won't play Sunday against the Packers.

Joseph P. Meier / The Daily Southtown

The Bears benched Terrence Metcalf against the Minnesota Vikings, and rather than start fourth-round draft pick Josh Beekman to get a better idea of his skills, they moved veteran backup tackle John St. Clair to the position.

Beekman still has not played guard in a regular-season game and has been active on game day only once.

"As far as him getting into the rotation, he hasn't been in it right now and I don't know what's going to happen as far as that's concerned," Smith said.

On Sunday, St. Clair will start again against the Green Bay Packers at Soldier Field.

"I was a little surprised, but at the same time I guess they know my history and know the fact that I can be versatile," St. Clair said.

St. Clair has played every line position at some point in his career. The 6-foot-5-inch, 315-pounder caught a touchdown pass as a short-yardage tight end this year. He played some guard three years ago in Miami but has basically been a tackle for the Bears.

"It's easier," he said of guard, "but I'll tell you what, guards run a lot. I didn't realize how much guards really run until I got back in practice last week, pulling and running after linebackers and things like that.

"So guard is not an easy job by any means."

St. Clair called it an adjustment.

"Everything happens quicker," he said. "You're in shorter space. Everything is hands-on as opposed to tackle, where you're out there on an island."

The benching of Metcalf in itself indicates a possible failed personnel decision. In March of 2006, they handed Metcalf a six-year contract extension worth $12.5 million with a $3.5 million signing bonus in hopes he could be the eventual answer when Ruben Brown, 35, retires.

Beekman provided another possible answer at guard, but isn't questioning why he hasn't received a turn.

"Honestly it hasn't popped into my head," the former Boston College player said. "The only people who really have asked are you guys, the media.

"I understand the question. For me, I know that coach Lovie Smith has set the tone that we want to finish as strong as we possibly can for the fourth quarter of the season. Now that we have Green Bay ahead of us, everybody, in my mind, is into putting the best five O-linemen out to beat Green Bay. Other than that, I'm a rookie. I'm trying to do what's best for the team and hopefully help the team win and if that's being a guy who helps the starting five get better, then I did my job. That's what I am most passionate about."

Beekman doesn't think of his rookie year as a virtual practice squad member a complete waste.

"Actually I have learned a great deal," he said. "Coming into this level, everybody you play is going to be good. Playing with this O-line, especially, learning from Olin Kreutz, learning from Ruben Brown, learning from Robert Garza, you learn the focus that you need to be a champion."

Brown's season-ending shoulder injury created the situation that led to Metcalf playing, but he fared poorly in a season when consistency has been lacking across the O-line.

The starting left guard in the Bears' offense has to be one of the more athletic linemen, able to pull and block on the team's power-0 play and other runs. There's no denying St. Clair's athletic ability.

"Anytime you can play left tackle and move in in the same season and play guard that's saying a lot about your athletic ability," Smith said.

"The editor of Bear Report said that Beekman is the smallest-looking 310# guard he's ever seen, that he hasn't shown the strength to hold his ground, nor the quickness to pull. If those observations are correct, he isn't going to touch the field unless he shows some big time improvement. Angelo blew it with that pick...."

There is no way to know at this time if Angelo blew that pick. We won't know for at least another yr if the pick was wasted. I would love to see him get on the field (just like Hass) but evidently the staff wants to evaluate some other players (i.e. St. Clair at guard). Maybe the thought is they don't want to throw another brand new player in the mix and make it even more difficult for Orton.

This season we have had the chance to evaluate several young players:

- McBride: Appears he can be the nickel back next yr

- Graham: Looks like a special teams stud.

- Olsen: Has shown the talent but has dropped several passes. Must clean this up.

- Toeaini: After 1 game he looks promising

- Williams: We know he can play special teams very well but has just looked average on defense.

- Roach: Just 1 game (special teams action - 2 tackles)

- Gettis: Played several games on special teams. Did not stick out.

- Wolfe: Needs more reps; has potential as a 3rd down back.

- McGowan: Has looked much better since he took over the starting role for Arch.

- Metcalf: Looked horrible - time to let him go.

- Payne: Not enough snaps to judge.

- Hester (on offense): Has shown signs but is still very raw.

Peace :bears

Now, Im not COMPLETELY opposed to playing Orton to see what he can do, but if you want to continue the BS of saying we are playing the guys who put us in the best situation to win than its a lie. I wish they would have the stones to say they are just evaluating talent.

Agreed. Kind of a combination of both. Have to evaluate talent and do the best they can to win.

Agreed. Kind of a combination of both. Have to evaluate talent and do the best they can to win.

Just another example of Lovie with his head in the ground. Why all the crap? No one believes what he's saying and we all know they're evaluating, so, yes, why not Beekman? And Hass?

I said it way back at the beginning of the season that with the poor oline play it was obvious something (or somebody) had to change. The fact nobody was doing anything meant we had coaches willing to go down with their buddies (won't pull the vets) or really bad depth. After finding out the coaches let Ruben Brown play with one arm for half the season and allowed Miller to continue his record setting pace (penalties) shows it was a little of both.

I'm still pissed about the comments from Hiestand when he said the fans know nothing about Oline play. Last time I checked the job was to block the guy on the other side and it's not hard to figure out who can't do that when you watch replays on the DVR. We have game film too! It's pretty obvious his group is one of the worst in the NFL and I'm not sure what statistic he'd pull out of his backside to prove otherwise. He needs to be the first to go and he can take Metcalf with him.

I think the problem is with so many changes taking place on the line you take a major risk throwing a guy who really isn't familiar with any of these guys out on the field, especially when you are trying to evaluate the play of a young QB, Kyle Orton.

Plus, Beekman is a 4th round pick and you don't necessarily a 4th round pick to be capable of starting during the first season. Personally speaking, I'd hope that the Bears have seen some growth out of him to the point that he can begin battling for a job or at least be a capable backup over an exteded period starting next season.

If after next season the Bears still wouldn't be comfortable putting him out on the field, he should probably be released (and I could make a case that you could think that starting next season).

I said it way back at the beginning of the season that with the poor oline play it was obvious something (or somebody) had to change. The fact nobody was doing anything meant we had coaches willing to go down with their buddies (won't pull the vets) or really bad depth. After finding out the coaches let Ruben Brown play with one arm for half the season and allowed Miller to continue his record setting pace (penalties) shows it was a little of both.

I'm still pissed about the comments from Hiestand when he said the fans know nothing about Oline play. Last time I checked the job was to block the guy on the other side and it's not hard to figure out who can't do that when you watch replays on the DVR. We have game film too! It's pretty obvious his group is one of the worst in the NFL and I'm not sure what statistic he'd pull out of his backside to prove otherwise. He needs to be the first to go and he can take Metcalf with him.

Their is absolutely no way that an offensive line coach could spin this season's performance by the line as anything but horrid. Between all of the missed blocks, the piss poor job blocking screens (that have cost the Bears some big plays) and the ridiculous amount of penalties the Bears truly have no excuse.

The oline coach should be on the first plan out of Chicago, along with Ron Turner as soon as the season ends. In fact, the oline coach should definitely be long gone before Turner (although this may be overly harsh considering the prior couple years the oline had been quite productive).