I'm prepared to get flamed

scs787

Heres just a thought....The Pats dont need there high first round draft pick and with there line backers getting up there in age would they trade us there 1st round pick for Briggs (sign and trade)....before you guys flame out lets say this does happen and we get say the 2nd overall pick and dorsey went first....who do you take???

I don't think it's flamable, but it won't happen. First, sign-and-trades are difficult in the NFL because of cap considerations. Second, there's no reason for a player to do a sign-and-trade, since his current team can't offer him more money than another team. (Make no mistake, Briggs WILL be a fa if the Bears don't sign him. Angelo promised Briggs he would not franchise him again if he played this year. Angelo can't renege on that without losing a ton of credibility with the players, even those his own team, and he seems genuinely concerned about keeping a good relationship with his players -- consider his reluctance to franchise guys in the past.) Third, maybe this is just me, but Briggs doesn't seem to fit a 3-4 very well. He doesn't have ideal size, he's never been much of a blitzer. I'm not saying he'd be a bad player, but he doesn't fit a 3-4 well enough to deserve a first-round pick, much less second overall. So there's zero chance of this happening.

Heres just a thought....The Pats dont need there high first round draft pick and with there line backers getting up there in age would they trade us there 1st round pick for Briggs (sign and trade)....before you guys flame out lets say this does happen and we get say the 2nd overall pick and dorsey went first....who do you take???

No flaming is deserved at all!

Although I just don't see it. Briggs will want to test the market in my opinion.

But if it goes down...I take McFadden.

No flaming is deserved at all!

Although I just don't see it. Briggs will want to test the market in my opinion.

But if it goes down...I take McFadden.

Yes Madlith, I'll get on the take McFadden bandwagon. But you know it ain't gonna happen cause we've got Ced the Stud.

You can say that about them every year. And they still give out a big contract every year. Or two.
That's a fact. Since Snyder bought the team, every year they ask (demand) players to restructure contracts so they can get under the cap. So far they've been getting away with it, but it's just a matter of time.... Take a look at the Raiders and the 49ers to see what happens when it does.

Back to the sign-and-trade: I don't think there's a clause in the NFL CBA addressing it. The NBA says if such a deal goes sour, the contract is voided to protect the trading team from being stuck with a huge contract they never intended to pay the player.

Without such specific terms, the Bears would be fools to get involved in a nonbinding verbal agreement that could damage their cap for years to come. JMO

I don't think the Pats would be interested in such a move, nor do I think it is even possible for the Bears to make such a trade (given the fact that they can't put the franchise or transitional tag on Briggs) but had they been able to I would have gladly accepted such deal. I would have accepted the deal offered by the Redskins and been done with it.

Also, given the quandary, I'd have taken McFadden and than an olineman. The one thing I don't like about a top 3 pick is that I think it is a cap nightmare if you end up missing on that pick. For that reason, along with the fact that I think teams picking that high are almost always better off getting a multidue of picks, I'd like to have the top pick so I could parlay it into multiple first day picks.