The 2008 Bears, what to expect.

ASHKUM BEAR

Who would have thought that a Kyle Orton led Bear team with many missing key defensive players would of whooped the first place Green Bay Packers? The Bears got to examine Orton, Wolfe, Williams, McBride, Toeiana and Kennedy. What they learned IMO is that Orton can go into 2008 competing for the #1 spot but most likely claiming the #2. The Bears should sign Grossman and release Griese and spend a first day draft pick on a QB. Running back in 2008 will not see much change as long a Cedric Benson can come back 100% healthy. Adrian Peterson deserves a shot at being the featured back coming into next camp but if anything we need to spit the carries and give Wolfe a series or two. Theres no sense to bring in a FA or draft a RB unless Benson's injury is more serious. Wide receiver and Oline will be the biggest renovation projects this offseason. Berrian needs to be resigned, but not at a cost as a top 10 receiver. Moose, Bradley, Davis can all leave and a FA and a draftee should be brought in. The Oline can cut Miller, Brown, and Metcalf and sign a top FA and draft two prospects. On the defensive side of the ball, the Bears will most likely let Briggs walk which may not be as bad as we think. Briggs hasn't been playing like a probowler this season and with him missing the Packer game, we seen Jamar Williams fill in pretty nicely. Michael Okwo will also get a chance to compete for the WLB also, but Williams looks like the man to fill the job. McBride has played nice enough to make Manning Jr expendable and Corey Graham's growing into a playmaker on ST. The DE position will be interesting this offseason as Alex Brown and Ogunleye have played better than usual. Anderson and Bazuin will need to have a big offseason/training camp to see a move here. At DT the Bears will cut Walker before his 5 million bonus kicks in and go into the offseason with Harris, Dvorecek, Adams, and Toeiana, Garay, and Kennedy. Safety will need to be addressed as Archuletta will be cut and Brown will give it one more run, but shouldn't be counted on. Our S projetion for next year will be Brown, Manning, Payne, Mcgowan and a draftee competing. The Bears defense doesn't need much attention as the offense. The Bears should put most of their attention bringing in offensive players this offseason and most likely a new OC.

2008 DRAFT projection.

1-10 Ryan Clady OT Boise St.

2-40 Jaison Williams WR Oregon

3-73 Heath Benedict G Newberry

3-85 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii

4-106 Caleb Cambell SS Army

5-140 Jeremy Leman LB, Illinois

6-172 Maurice Purify WR, Nebraska

7-206 Kevin Mitchell SS, Illinois

2008 Free Agents

WR- Bryant Johnson at 6-3 Johnson will be a big target who runs great routes with good hands.

OG-Alan Faneca- He is the best at run blocking, and the Bears were last in the NFL. Faneca still has prime years left.

PROJECTED STARTERS

LT-Ryan Clady LG-Alan Faneca C-Olin Kreutz RG-Heath Benedict RT-John Tait

QB-Rex Grossman, RB-Cedric Benson, WR-Benard Berrian, WR-Bryan Johnson, WR-Devin Hester, TE-Greg Olsen.

DE-Adewale Ogunleye DT-Tommie Harris, DT-Dusty Dvorecek, DE-Alex Brown

WLB-Jamar Williams MLB-Brian Urlacher SLB-Hunter Hillenmeyer

CB-Charles Tillman, SS-Mike Brown, FS, Daniel Manning, CB-Nathan Vasher (nickel-McBride)

PROJECTED STARTERS

QB-Rex Grossman, RB-Cedric Benson, WR-Benard Berrian, WR-Bryan Johnson, WR-Devin Hester, TE-Greg Olsen.

Agree on much of what you wrote Ashkum, but I have a feeling some team is going to offer Rex some $ and he'll jup at the opportunity to relieve himself of the microscopic scrutiny and vast ridicule he's had here. Don'¡t get me wrong, if we could sing him with an incentive-laden deal I think it would be to the team's benefit.

Also, I don't see two rookies starting on the Oline. We'll bring in some more vets via FA and maybe start a G or RT rookie, but not two at the same time, and not a LT.

The Bears should put most of their attention bringing in offensive players this offseason and most likely a new OC.

2008 DRAFT projection.

2008 Free Agents

WR- Bryant Johnson at 6-3 Johnson will be a big target who runs great routes with good hands.

OG-Alan Faneca- He is the best at run blocking, and the Bears were last in the NFL. Faneca still has prime years left.

PROJECTED STARTERS

CB-Charles Tillman, SS-Mike Brown, FS, Daniel Manning, CB-Nathan Vasher (nickel-McBride)

I like a lot of your thinking here, Ashkum! Here are my tweaks to your plan:

FA: add in WR Drew Carter (Let Berrian walk)

LT Max Starks--everyone likes Faneca--why not Starks? He's young and huge! (Make plans to not get the stud OL in the draft--if he's there, take him! In a few years, Tait will be looking to leave.)

Though he's not Mr. Popularity, Garza will be back and should start at RG unless beat out in TC. I say this for continuity-sake and like being the world's tallest midget, he wasn't the worst o-line player this year. Maintaining the continuity on the o-line as much as possible is key to having good play out of the group.

S-Gibril Wilson He'd be a lower-tier FA. At his young age, he'd be good value and could take over for Brown if he makes a return to his Autumnal home on IR.

Draft--I like the QB from Oregon, Dennis Dixon. Has both mobility and a strong arm. He'll have time to develop behind Rex and Orton. Give him that and watch him become a star.

Bottom line, we both see that this mess can be repaired quite quickly if JA is willing to cut his dead weight and focus on the real problem and not get too enticed be the bright, shiny, defense objects out there in FA and the draft. And for God's sake, no more "He can return punts and kickoffs" as reasons to justify the pick. Get a guy who can play his position.

I kind of want to draft a RB in the first especially if we draft as high as 14. This is a deep OT class I believe we can still get value in the second round and bringing in Faneca fixes this line. Resign Berrian, let Briggs go. I dont think we should sign a veteran WR its time for the younger guys like Bradley and Davis to step up, Moose has to go. Signing a safety like Gibril Wilson is also something we should try as well. Resign Grossman to a small deal. This is the most important offseason of JA's tenure he really needs to show what hes made of.

Rd 1 RB Jonathan Stewart

Rd 2 OT (Tony Hills, Barry Richardson, Micheal Oher)

Rd 3a QB Joe Flacco Delware if you dont know about him check him out

Rd 3b WR (Marcus Monk,Jordan Nelson, a big Possesion WR)

Rd 4 S BPA

Rd 5 CB BPA

Rd 6 G BPA

Rd 7 BPA

Offense:

LT Tait, LG Faneca, C Kruetz, RG Beekman/Garza, RT Tony Hills

Back ups T St. Clair, Oakley, and rookie

QB Grossman, RB Jonathan Stewart, FB Mckie, WR Berrian, WR Open Comp, TE Desmond Clark

Back ups QB Orton, Joe Flacco, RB Benson, Peterson, Wolfe, TE Gilmore, Olsen, WR Davis, Bradley, Hester, Monk,

Defense:

LE Ogun, DT Dusty, Harris, RE Anderson

Back ups DE Bazuin, Idonijie, DT Adams, Toeiana, Garay

LB Jamar, Urlacher, Hillemeyer

Back ups Ayenbadejo, Okwo, McGlover, (Roach seems like a special teams beast as well)

CB Tillman, Vasher, SS Brown, FS Gibril Wilson

Back ups McBride, Graham, Rookie, Payne, Manning, McGowan, Rookie

I would love to see this happen, i dont really see him slipping this far though. Ive watched every illini game this season and this kids gonna be a stud, at the very least i see him being as good as hunter...if he can make the transition from mlb to outside smoothly i can see him taking jamars starting spot within a year....like his website says, hes the best linebacker youve never heard of, though i think after the USC game when he beasts his stocks gonna rise a ton.

This is the most important offseason of JA's tenure he really needs to show what hes made of.

No quote could ever be more accurate than this!

On the Joe Flacco point, he doesn't seem to be as mobile as I would like. I'm not looking for a Vince Young (notice I didn't mention the dog murdering SOB's name) or Donovan McNabb, just a guy who can create space and opportunities with his feet. Even at age 38, Brett Favre does a very good job of buying himself a few seconds more and running for first downs when necessary. If you have a candidate who can throw all the requisite passes accurately, with something on them, and can break away to allow his playmakers get open, I'm interested in the guy. If he is weak armed, a statue, inaccurate, or just plain stupid, let someone else draft him.

I would love to see this happen, i dont really see him slipping this far though. Ive watched every illini game this season and this kids gonna be a stud, at the very least i see him being as good as hunter...if he can make the transition from mlb to outside smoothly i can see him taking jamars starting spot within a year....like his website says, hes the best linebacker youve never heard of, though i think after the USC game when he beasts his stocks gonna rise a ton.

Well, he does run like a 4.8 40 so I can see it happening... but I see some 3-4 team swipping him up in the 3rd-4th round... Leman doesn't really fit in with our D.

No quote could ever be more accurate than this!

On the Joe Flacco point, he doesn't seem to be as mobile as I would like. I'm not looking for a Vince Young (notice I didn't mention the dog murdering SOB's name) or Donovan McNabb, just a guy who can create space and opportunities with his feet. Even at age 38, Brett Favre does a very good job of buying himself a few seconds more and running for first downs when necessary. If you have a candidate who can throw all the requisite passes accurately, with something on them, and can break away to allow his playmakers get open, I'm interested in the guy. If he is weak armed, a statue, inaccurate, or just plain stupid, let someone else draft him.

Flacco is no speed demon or anything but he knows when to tuck it and run... I have this before, he is like a poor-man's Ben Rothlesberger.

Who would have thought that a Kyle Orton led Bear team with many missing key defensive players would of whooped the first place Green Bay Packers? The Bears got to examine Orton, Wolfe, Williams, McBride, Toeiana and Kennedy. What they learned IMO is that Orton can go into 2008 competing for the #1 spot but most likely claiming the #2. The Bears should sign Grossman and release Griese and spend a first day draft pick on a QB. Running back in 2008 will not see much change as long a Cedric Benson can come back 100% healthy. Adrian Peterson deserves a shot at being the featured back coming into next camp but if anything we need to spit the carries and give Wolfe a series or two. Theres no sense to bring in a FA or draft a RB unless Benson's injury is more serious. Wide receiver and Oline will be the biggest renovation projects this offseason. Berrian needs to be resigned, but not at a cost as a top 10 receiver. Moose, Bradley, Davis can all leave and a FA and a draftee should be brought in. The Oline can cut Miller, Brown, and Metcalf and sign a top FA and draft two prospects. On the defensive side of the ball, the Bears will most likely let Briggs walk which may not be as bad as we think. Briggs hasn't been playing like a probowler this season and with him missing the Packer game, we seen Jamar Williams fill in pretty nicely. Michael Okwo will also get a chance to compete for the WLB also, but Williams looks like the man to fill the job. McBride has played nice enough to make Manning Jr expendable and Corey Graham's growing into a playmaker on ST. The DE position will be interesting this offseason as Alex Brown and Ogunleye have played better than usual. Anderson and Bazuin will need to have a big offseason/training camp to see a move here. At DT the Bears will cut Walker before his 5 million bonus kicks in and go into the offseason with Harris, Dvorecek, Adams, and Toeiana, Garay, and Kennedy. Safety will need to be addressed as Archuletta will be cut and Brown will give it one more run, but shouldn't be counted on. Our S projetion for next year will be Brown, Manning, Payne, Mcgowan and a draftee competing. The Bears defense doesn't need much attention as the offense. The Bears should put most of their attention bringing in offensive players this offseason and most likely a new OC.

2008 DRAFT projection.

2008 Free Agents

PROJECTED STARTERS

I do like the way you think but I think we need to be more frugal with our cap space. First, I like the idea for QB. All those afraid Grossman will leave because he got blasted by the media need to speand some time in Philly, NY, Miami, Dallas, LA or, truth be told, just about any NFL city nowadays. Who would of thought our media geniuses would turn on Urlacher the way they did? I'm not saying it wasn't justified but they did go after him pretty good. I think the best chance for redemption with Rex is right here. At least he will get a shot and probably more of a shot at starting than anywhere else. But hey, if we need to let him leave and keep Griese, Im fine with that. My BIGGEST ISSUE right now is the o line. I want 2 FA guys and 2 high draft picks dedicated to it. No signing or extensions make ANY sense if we don't fix this o line. Not Berrian, not a RB, Not a QB, nothing. That has got to be JAs first priority.

Back to Berrian. If his deal is cap friendly, then yes, sign him but then we have to accept Briggs is gone. I'm ok with that but do I want to spend top 10 money on Berrian? HELL NO. He is not worth it. He may be the best option we have at a WR becoming a playmaker but if he isn't a consistent playmaker, it's a waste of time and money. He is lazy, he doesn't block downfield, he doesn't finish his routes and his hands are suspect. We can all remember the Davis play where Davis was sure to score if he gets a downfield block from Berrian, who just stood there. A top 10 receiver knows the importance of blocking and taking their man away from the play by running their routes to completion. He gets paid way too much money to have to be told that.

I would like to have another option at RB just in case Benson doesn't show up. I think he's nothing more than a bust but right now, we don't have much of a choice. I would like a get another WR in here as well. I don't know why have to suffer with WRs and QBs every freakin year but it seems we do. I like Davis, I think he's a great spec teams compliment to Hester. I love Hester as w WR but this guy is as dumb as a box of rocks and I worry he's not smart enough to get the offense. He's always out of position and has to be told where to go. They also have to decide what they are going to do with Hesters contract.

On defense, I would like to see one change at least considered and it's been bantered about in the papers, that is moving Urlacher to the outside. I think he gets more action and becomes more of a threat as a pass rusher. Something along the lines of an LT. I'm good with our LBs, even assuming Briggs is gone because I think Williams will develop into a good player.

On the line, we got Tommies deal staring us in the face after next year so we gotta take that into account whatever we do with Briggs, Berrian, Hester and Rex this year. Tommie is gonna require and boatload of money. I think our depth will be good with Tommie, Dusty, Adams, Idonijie and the 2 kids we added, Kennedy and Toeaina. We're set at DE for the time being as well with Wale, Brown Anderson Bauzin and Idonjie helping out. In our backfield, the one piece that's missing is the Safety. That needs to be our first draft pick. A big hitting safety who can cover. We can then make a decision with the other guys we rotate in and out but I am banking on Mike Brown coming back to play a full season. I know, it's a pipedram but if it did happen, we'd be lethal.

Nice post - I agree with everything but -

"On the line, we got Tommies deal staring us in the face after next year so we gotta take that into account whatever we do with Briggs, Berrian, Hester and Rex this year. Tommie is gonna require and boatload of money."

We do have several holes to fill so I don't think there is anyway we address Hester this offseason. Besides, he still has 2 yrs left on his deal. I think Briggs is gone and I believe that Angelo will concentrate on the offensive side of the ball in the offseason.

Further, I agree - get a safety in either round 1 or 2 (take best of OT, S in top 2 rounds).

Peace :bears

Purify is a beast. I got to see him here in Boulder the last game of the season and he was the only thing workin for the Huskers that day. His size and talent from what I have seen this season, I think he will go before the 6th round.

Purify is a beast. I got to see him here in Boulder the last game of the season and he was the only thing workin for the Huskers that day. His size and talent from what I have seen this season, I think he will go before the 6th round.

He's got character concerns and hasn't really ever produced... he can easily last to the 6th, but he has some very good physical tools. Where he gets drafted will depend on his pre-draft interviews with NFL teams.

For our team to look like that on opening day next year we would need a perfect storm of events to fall into place. I really like boosting the o line that much and adding a WR on day 1 of the draft along with going after Johnson though. If they had to make some other changes I think we need to bring in a veteran running back and try to get better depth at safety.

I'm starting to lean to the idea of drafting someone like Jonathan Stewart and try and get an awesome runningback duo, sign Faneca, and draft someone like Chris Williams with our 2nd pick (Chris Williams is very similar to McNeil, IMO). I am also starting to lean to the direction of cutting Griese and bring back Grossman on the cheap (open competition between Grossman and Orton). Resign Berrian (let Briggs go), and perhaps sign someone like Bryant Johnson. Then draft someone in round 3 to develop, and oh yeah, a new OC (someone who will run a similar system but not be totally inept when calling plays)... An offense of (see below) would be sweet:

QB: Grossman | Orton | Flacco

RB: Benson | Stewart | Peterson | Wolfe

FB: McKie

WR: Berrian | Muhammad | Johnson | Hester | Bradley | Draftee

TE: Olsen | Clark | Gilmore/Draftee

LT: Williams | St. Clair

LG: Faneca | St. Clair | Draftee

OC: Kreutz | Beekman/Oakley/Draftee

RG: Garza | Beekman/Oakley/Draftee

RT: Tait | St. Clair

One can dream...

I'm ok with dumping Moose and replacing him with Bryant but if you think Bryant is much better than Berrian you'll be disappointed. If we lose Berrian we'll have no choice but to go after Bryant.

I watched a lot of Oregon football this season and Jonathan Stewart just doesn't impress me that much. He's a good RB but I didn't see him do anything any different than Ced did this year. Once Oregon lost Dixon, Stewart became invisible. No way I'd take him before any Rd 1 or Rd 2 Oline talent.

I watched a lot of Oregon football this season and Jonathan Stewart just doesn't impress me that much. He's a good RB but I didn't see him do anything any different than Ced did this year. Once Oregon lost Dixon, Stewart became invisible. No way I'd take him before any Rd 1 or Rd 2 Oline talent.

If we were to add a RB, why not Rashard Mendenhall from UofI.

I would rather not see a RB this year unless Cedric Benson's injury is a concern. We have plenty of $$ invested in RB right now and the ones we have could be a nice trio IF we had an OC who can call plays to their strengths. We will also not carry 4 RB's on the roster.

Round 1 order of priority: Ryan Clady OT, Kenny Phillips SS, Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Matt Ryan QB, Sam Baker OT.

If we were to add a RB, why not Rashard Mendenhall from UofI.

I would rather not see a RB this year unless Cedric Benson's injury is a concern. We have plenty of $ invested in RB right now and the ones we have could be a nice trio IF we had an OC who can call plays to their strengths. We will also not carry 4 RB's on the roster.

Round 1 order of priority: Ryan Clady OT, Kenny Phillips SS, Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Matt Ryan QB, Sam Baker OT.

I believe the only real way our offense can be successful next season with a mediocre QB is with a good 2 back system... Look at the Jags, they have two of the best power backs in the NFL and they make Gerrard so much better then he really is.

Also, technically, we have 5 RB's right now... the only thing is 3 of them are HB and 2 of them are FB... a lot of teams carry 4 HB's.

If your scenario played out, I think we'd all be happy with the results. I just don't see all of that happening.

Johnson for Moose is awesome. If Berrian comes back, we need a big, possesion-type receiver across from him. If he doesn't, we'll finally see what Bradley can do.

Faneca or Starks, we need a younger/stud Olineman. Don't think both are doable, but one and a lower tier FA would work.

Draft picks were good, position-wise. Only one I'm not sure on is the WR from Oregon. Just don't know much about him. If we get Johnson and keep Berrian, I say go somewhere else, like QB (Second round should have some good QBs, like Ainge (I like him more than most people) or one of the top 3 (Woodson, Ryan, Brohm) if they slip.

Brennan in the 3rd is reasonable though.

Jonathan Stewart "disappeared" because Dixon's backup sucked. There was absolutely no passing game. Of course teams will stack the box.

That's what teams did to us all year long and still folks railed on Ced. I realize Ryan Leaf's little brother sucks as a QB but I also know that Stewart didn't show much burst when he did have holes and ran tentatively in the hole. He wasn't much good fighting for yards after contact either. He did look good with Dixon in when he had huge holes to run through. We already have 3 RBs on the roster who can do that.

My plan

Sign Starks to be the RT. It would take big money, but it takes too long for OTs to develop to draft them in the first round. Robert Gallery was supposed to be all-world, but it has taken him quite awhile to be effective. Keep him at RT and Tait on the left side, as I don't think Tait can play RT anymore.

If you can resign Berrian to anything in the neighborhood of Crayton's deal, then by all means. But I would not give him premiere money, because to me he isn't a premiere receiver. He has major holes in his game, as have been pointed out here, and Moose is a great example of paying an imperfect WR top dollar. If Berrian can't be resigned (or perhaps even if he can, if Moose can be cut to make room), sign one of Hackett/Bryant Johnson/Drew Carter. WR is another position with too high a strikeout rate in the draft, and too long a learning curve. Those positions are ones I'd prefer to fill primarily through free agency. A new QB would be nice, but I'd rather surround Orton or Grossman with weapons than bring in a better QB and have him throw to Moose, Rashied and Hester all day.

Draft Phillips, the safety from Miami, with the first pick. This defense has proven it is dependent on a dominant safety to excel. He fills that role. Bring Brown back, and if he gets hurt again Manning can take over.

I also would NOT sign Michael Turner. For one thing, Adrian Peterson (ours, not Purple Jesus) looked about as good as Turner when he was in limited duty. Who knows what Turner could do in a feature role, he could suck too. Second, every other team seems to be able to find guys in the middle rounds who can come in and be effective. The Bears should be able to do that too (maybe this time they could draft someone bigger than my daughter ).

Those would be my top 3 priorities. But Angelo seems to take whatever position is least needed, and add that, so who knows. He'll probabyl draft a TE and DE with the first 2 picks.

My plan

Sign Starks to be the RT. It would take big money, but it takes too long for OTs to develop to draft them in the first round. Robert Gallery was supposed to be all-world, but it has taken him quite awhile to be effective. Keep him at RT and Tait on the left side, as I don't think Tait can play RT anymore.

So, Tait can't play RT anymore but he can LT? Yeah, ooooooookay... Tait is a natural RT and would make a much better RT then LT at this stage in his career. Our best bet for tackle is via draft, IMO.

If you can resign Berrian to anything in the neighborhood of Crayton's deal, then by all means. But I would not give him premiere money, because to me he isn't a premiere receiver. He has major holes in his game, as have been pointed out here, and Moose is a great example of paying an imperfect WR top dollar. If Berrian can't be resigned (or perhaps even if he can, if Moose can be cut to make room), sign one of Hackett/Bryant Johnson/Drew Carter. WR is another position with too high a strikeout rate in the draft, and too long a learning curve. Those positions are ones I'd prefer to fill primarily through free agency. A new QB would be nice, but I'd rather surround Orton or Grossman with weapons than bring in a better QB and have him throw to Moose, Rashied and Hester all day.

If you honestly expect to see Berrian signed to anything in the range of Crayton, then Berrian is gone... Why does everyone think Berrian is some sort of expandable part? Our offense is bad enough, think about how bad it will be when we take away our best offensive weapon in Berrian. Franchising him will be the smartest option, IMO. While it might be overpaying for the year, we would have another year to judge him and see if he is worth the big bucks.

Draft Phillips, the safety from Miami, with the first pick. This defense has proven it is dependent on a dominant safety to excel. He fills that role. Bring Brown back, and if he gets hurt again Manning can take over.

If we draft Phillips, Brown will definitely not be brought back. Either Phillips would play FS and we'd have Manning and McGowan play SS or we will have Manning play FS and Phillips play SS. Manning was a high second round pick, and he has improved each year, and I am sure that Lovie and Angelo will give him another year at FS and it will be his to lose.

I also would NOT sign Michael Turner. For one thing, Adrian Peterson (ours, not Purple Jesus) looked about as good as Turner when he was in limited duty. Who knows what Turner could do in a feature role, he could suck too. Second, every other team seems to be able to find guys in the middle rounds who can come in and be effective. The Bears should be able to do that too (maybe this time they could draft someone bigger than my daughter ).

I wouldn't sign Turner for two different reasons, Benson still isn't a bust, at least to me, and he will have another year to prove his worth. Also, Turner will get a lot of money. However, we need more competition, and I could see Chris Brown signed. We almost signed this past offseason and we might make a stronger push this upcomming offseason. The only downside to this is, can he stay healthy?

Those would be my top 3 priorities. But Angelo seems to take whatever position is least needed, and add that, so who knows. He'll probabyl draft a TE and DE with the first 2 picks.

JA is a lot better GM then most people give him credit for.

JA has in the past done some dynamite work drafting on the defense and finding stars where other people didn't look. He hasn't yet done that on the offense, and his offensive picks right now have struggled.

It's possible to turn that around pretty quick though if the O-Line was rebuilt. A lot of people forget when evaluating JA's drafts that the last 2 years, he's focused a lot on building up depth on the defense at positions where we had risky guys who we might lose. And when evaluating those drafts, you sort of have to remember that the Bears have used IR as almost a red shirt year...with guys like Bazuin, Okwo, and Dvoracek missing a year to sit and observe. Throw 1 more random injury into there on Dusty and Briggs coming back to block Williams for a year, and a lot of the key picks Angelo has made the last 2 years haven't played yet.

If those guys come out healthy and perform next year, it gives the Bears an awful lot of options and probably puts them right back in the playoffs just from the strength of their D.

So, Tait can't play RT anymore but he can LT? Yeah, ooooooookay... Tait is a natural RT and would make a much better RT then LT at this stage in his career. Our best bet for tackle is via draft, IMO.

Tait has been a serviceable LT, IMO. He does not have the skillset for RT anymore. A left tackle isn't simply a better tackle than a guy who plays RT, they require different skillets. Tait, while hardly a dominant LT, fits better as a LT, albeit not a great one, than a RT. Perhaps you could hide him a little more at RT, but he'll be worse as a RT than as a LT. Just because he played RT in KC (probably had more to do with the presence of Willie Roaf than anything to do with Tait) does not mean he is a "natural" RT.

If you honestly expect to see Berrian signed to anything in the range of Crayton, then Berrian is gone... Why does everyone think Berrian is some sort of expandable part? Our offense is bad enough, think about how bad it will be when we take away our best offensive weapon in Berrian. Franchising him will be the smartest option, IMO. While it might be overpaying for the year, we would have another year to judge him and see if he is worth the big bucks.

The lack of an obvious replacement does not warrant giving Berrian a contract that will handcuff the team in the future. Doing things like that is a great way to make the team mediocre for a long time.

If we draft Phillips, Brown will definitely not be brought back. Either Phillips would play FS and we'd have Manning and McGowan play SS or we will have Manning play FS and Phillips play SS. Manning was a high second round pick, and he has improved each year, and I am sure that Lovie and Angelo will give him another year at FS and it will be his to lose.

Maybe you are seeing something in Manning that I am not.

I wouldn't sign Turner for two different reasons, Benson still isn't a bust, at least to me, and he will have another year to prove his worth. Also, Turner will get a lot of money. However, we need more competition, and I could see Chris Brown signed. We almost signed this past offseason and we might make a stronger push this upcomming offseason. The only downside to this is, can he stay healthy?

Pn what planet is Benson not a bust? He has averaged less than 4 yards a carry, ran a more productive back out of town, and tied up a huge chunk of salary. The team may need to sign a top free agent or spend a high pick on another running back. That, and he can't stay healthy. I can't imagine defending Benson as a non-bust, he defines it.

JA is a good defensive scout. That's about all I give him credit for. He cannot build an offense, ignored the offensive line completely, does not make good first round picks, and tends to resign players who have no business getting extensions (Q Mitchell, Brob, etc). He is a great example of the Peter Principle, and is over his head as a GM.

My plan

Starks is gonna be way too expensive and he doesnt even start for Pit.

There is no way Berrian signs a deal like Craytons deal He is easily the number 1 WR in the FA Class now and he wants number 1 type money not gonna happen but he may be looking for a 5yr/30 mil with 10 guaranteed

I do like the Phillips pick but if we end up in the teens we should trade down I think Michael Turner has more 100 yard games then Peterson who just had his second so i dont think that they are comparable plus Turner's ypc is higher.