Top FA & Draft Prospects for 2008

Pixote

Here are the top FA & Draft prospects known to date for 2008. How do we fill out our needs at this position? We obviously have to make some assumptions as to our actual needs.

I would say OK at center is solid.

I think Tait moves to ORT and is solid there.

We have several options at OG, resign R Brown, I did not like St. Clair at OT but think he might actually be an excellent OG, Garza? ..... One of these 3 would be a good fill at OG

That means we need, IMO, an OG and LOT.

Here are the top FA 2008 listed by one site. How many will actually hit FA is another question...

Ruben Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

An aging veteran, Brown has a lot of experience opening holes for backs and allowing time for passers. He’s a solid guard who holds down his position quite well. If he decides to stick around, he may have a couple of good seasons left. Teams won’t line up to sign him, but there should be a handful that show interest.

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Flozell Adams, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

A veteran left tackle, Adams should hit the market and receive decent interest. A second-round pick in 1998, Adams has developed into one of the league’s better offensive linemen. His size, experience, and performance will lure teams into making a considerable offer for his services. The Cowboys are developing young talent behind him, and depending on how that youth pans out the rest of the season, the team could allow him to leave in favor of saving some money.

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers

With Gross’ contract voiding at season’s end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season.

Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

A quality guard, Lilja is relatively young and has a Super Bowl ring to call his own. The Colts will do well to sign him to an extension, but there’s a chance that Lilja tests the market. In reality, the system that Lilja plays within is a nice fit, and he could easily stay because of it.

Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

A big, experienced guard, Womack could get a decent offer from any team missing out on a top tier target like Faneca. If Womack isn’t the outright starter in Seattle this season, look for him to find work elsewhere with an expanded role guaranteed.

Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Scott is the starting right guard for one of the top offensive line units in the entire NFL, and his ability to help protect Peyton Manning should equate to a nice contract number. Indianapolis has found a way to retain most of their line talent in recent seasons, and it should come as no surprise if Scott is locked into a long-term deal in the near future.

Todd Steussie UFA St. Louis Rams

Steussie has been a solid offensive tackle for several years, but he was placed on injured reserve earlier this season because of a foot injury. He’s approaching forty years of age, but he may still have a good season or two in him. He should receive some attention as a free agent simply because of his experience and the position he plays.

Travelle Wharton UFA Carolina Panthers

A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen

OG P.J. Alexander UFA Atlanta Falcons

OT Nat Dorsey UFA Cleveland Browns

OT Trai Essex RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OG Chris Kemoeatu RFA Pittsburgh Steelers

OT Cory Lekkerkerker RFA San Diego Chargers

OT Sean Locklear UFA Seattle Seahawks

OG Brian Rimpf RFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Keydrick Vincent UFA Baltimore Ravens

OG Fred Weary UFA Houston Texans

I have not followed the College scene this year and therefore am unfamiliar of these players in the 2008 draft except for what you guys have told me on the forum.

Here is one sites listing of 2008 OT prospects:

1. Jake Long, 6' 6" 320, Michigan

3. Gosder Cherilus, 6' 6" 320, Boston College

4. Ryan Clady, 6' 5" 320, Boise State*

5. Michael Oher, 6' 5" 330, Mississippi*

6. Sam Baker, 6' 4" 309, USC

7. Chris Williams, 6' 6" 315, Vanderbilt

8. Jeff Otah, 6' 5" 339, Pittsburgh

9. Barry Richardson, 6' 6" 335, Clemson

10. Tony Hills, 6' 6" 305, Texas

11. Alex Boone, 6' 7" 320, Ohio State*

12. Phil Loadholt, 6' 7" 360, Oklahoma*

13. Kirk Barton, 6' 6" 325, Ohio State

14. Pedro Sosa, 6' 5" 298, Rutgers

15. Jeremy Zutta, 6' 4" 292, Rutgers

16. John Greco, 6' 4" 318, Toledo

17. Heath Benedict, 6' 5" 330, Newberry

18. Mike Fladell, 6' 7" 322, Rutgers

19. Demetrius Bell, 6' 6" 288, NW State (LA)

20. Bobby Byrd, 6' 6" 315, Washington State

21. Akim Millington, 6' 5" 315, Illinois

22. Shannon Boatman, 6' 6" 315, Florida State

23. Duane Brown, 6' 4" 305, Virginia Tech

24. Phil Trautwein, 6' 6" 298, Florida

25. King Dunlap, 6' 9" 321, Auburn

26. Dylan Thiry, 6' 7" 317, Northwestern

27. Brandyn Dombroski, 6' 6" 335, San Diego State

Here is one sites listing of 2008 OG prospects:

1. George Robinson, 6' 5" 330, Oklahoma*

2. Jeremy Perry, 6' 2" 313, Oregon State*

3. Roy Schuening, 6' 3" 317, Oregon State

4. Andrew Crummey, 6' 4" 300, Maryland

5. Shannon Tevega, 6' 3" 316, UCLA

6. Herman Johnson, 6' 7" 350, LSU*

7. Jacky Claude, Florida State

8. Brandon Rodd, 6' 3" 300, Arizona State

9. Jordan Grimes, 6' 3" 325, Purdue

10. Chad Rheinhart, 6' 4" 310, Northern Iowa

11. Adam Kraus, 6' 5" 302, Michigan

12. Andrew Bain, 6' 3" 330, Miami (Fl)

13. Kerry Brown, 6' 6" 318, Appalachian State

14. Matt Slauson, 6' 5" 335, Nebraska*

15. Kirk Elder, 6' 4" 309, Texas A&M

16. Chester Adams, 6' 3" 326, Georgia

17. Derrick Morse, 6' 4" 326, Miami

18. Tad Miller, 6' 4" 305, Boise State

19. Ryan Poles, 6' 3" 310, Boston College

20. Will Arnold, 6' 4" 319, LSU (injured)

21. Pete Clifford, 6' 6" 319, Michigan State

I wouldn't mind the 339 pound tank, Otah, from Pittsburgh in the 2nd or 3rd round.

we'd be lucky if he is there at 15th overall (where I project us to be picking)...

If we shift to a WCO, Jeff Otah is the tackle we need to draft... If we decide to keep the more traditional offensive scheme, then Clady is the guy we would go after...

I wonder if Ruben Brown would fit into the WCO, which typically uses bigger offensive linemen.

we'd be lucky if he is there at 15th overall (where I project us to be picking)...

If we shift to a WCO, Jeff Otah is the tackle we need to draft... If we decide to keep the more traditional offensive scheme, then Clady is the guy we would go after...

I wonder if Ruben Brown would fit into the WCO, which typically uses bigger offensive linemen.

Where do you even get the idea we would be running a WCO? Because thats what McNabb runs? There are absolutely no signs pointing to us changing our offense.

Where do you even get the idea we would be running a WCO? Because thats what McNabb runs? There are absolutely no signs pointing to us changing our offense.

I agree. Also, none of my favorite teams ever make the big signings or make the big trades (Sox, Bulls, Bears). Therefore, I see Atlanta grabbing McNabb and taking Long/Dorsey with their pick.

Clady and Long will go before him, and maybe even more. Therefore, I don't see 3+ linemen going in the top 15. Just my 2 cents there...

Clady and Long will go before him, and maybe even more. Therefore, I don't see 3+ linemen going in the top 15. Just my 2 cents there...

Long, maybe, but Clady is still up in the air. Jeff Otah is a beast, and 3 top LT prospects can easily go in the top 15.

But smart GMs know the value of taking OL early.

I guess most of the GM's are dumb then.

Only 7 OLinemen have been drafted in the Top 16 (first half of the first round) in the last 5 years. That is 7 OL selections out of 80 picks (8.8%), even though the OLine makes up over 20% of your starting team.

That number goes up to 11 out of 80 for the 2nd half of the first round (13.8%). If you move into the first half of the 2nd round, that number goes up again to 15 out of 80 (18.8%).

Also, no OLinemen has been selected with the #1 pick in the last 10 years. Orlando Pace was the only one selected #1 since 1968 (selected in 1997).

OL = unsexy

I guess most of the GM's are dumb then.

Only 7 OLinemen have been drafted in the Top 16 (first half of the first round) in the last 5 years. That is 7 OL selections out of 80 picks (8.8%), even though the OLine makes up over 20% of your starting team.

That number goes up to 11 out of 80 for the 2nd half of the first round (13.8%). If you move into the first half of the 2nd round, that number goes up again to 15 out of 80 (18.8%).

Also, no OLinemen has been selected with the #1 pick in the last 10 years. Orlando Pace was the only one selected #1 since 1968 (selected in 1997).

OL = unsexy

Glad you came up with those stats Prophet. I think we'd be better off spending the big $ on FA OLinemen and drafting them after the first round. Unless there is an LOT on the board that just appears too good to pass up, I'd stay away from OL early in rd. one.

Now, we could always trade down in the first round if we really want one, but still, a rookie OLinman from the first rd. is going to be expensive, and it's going to take time for them to develop. That means we'd be paying a ton of $ for a guy who's going to take some time to contribute.

Glad you came up with those stats Prophet. I think we'd be better off spending the big $ on FA OLinemen and drafting them after the first round. Unless there is an LOT on the board that just appears too good to pass up, I'd stay away from OL early in rd. one.

Now, we could always trade down in the first round if we really want one, but still, a rookie OLinman from the first rd. is going to be expensive, and it's going to take time for them to develop. That means we'd be paying a ton of $ for a guy who's going to take some time to contribute.

That is true. Someone else mentioned that as well. Performance-wise there is little difference, but pay-wise there is. Looking at that, I could see them going QB or RB with that pick.