Winds of Change blowin' at Halas Hall

MBM

Last week, Jerry Angelo promised that the coming offseason would bring greater dedication to offensive talent and a close examination of the offensive game philosophy the Bears have displayed under this current regime and the previous 60+ years.

Face it, Ron Turner ain't leavin'. But I can handle him sticking around if he can change his offensive scheme to be more aggressive and Lovie's "Get off the bus running" attitude has to bend more as well. The flavor of the day in the NFL is to be a "Pass first" offense. The top two teams in each conference (NE Pats, Indy Colts, Dallas Cowboys, and GB Packers) are ranked 1-4 in the league in passing. New England, the "Perfect" team set new records in passing and does not have a 1,000 yard rusher. Yes, being capable of rushing is a necessity. I think that if NE were to have played the Bears last week in Chicago, they may have gotten clipped! The elements took away the passing game. But you don't get elements that bad every year and you don't have that exposure for most of the season. The Bears MUST evolve! The passing game must be given greater scrutiny by the team and the fans than it traditionally has for the Bears to build a successful team.

And I'm talking about a Super Bowl winning team, not just a playoff contender.

I agree 100%. The flavor of the day is a pass oriented offense. We need to retool and change our MO to be successful. We have some of the pieces. I think Hester could be another Steve Smith type of WR. Olsen is the real deal. Berrian (if resigned) is a solid receiver who can give you the big play. QB is a question mark as of now and our OL needs a lot of work. There is no reason we can not get these areas fixed through FA and the draft.

You need a passing game but you certainitely don't need the top passing attack to be successful. Look at the Jags.

They dont say you absolutely have to have the top passing attack to be successful, its just pointing out that the top 4 teams in the NFL record wise are the top four passing teams. Obviously you can have success other ways.

They dont say you absolutely have to have the top passing attack to be successful, its just pointing out that the top 4 teams in the NFL record wise are the top four passing teams. Obviously you can have success other ways.

I disagree.. I can't pull out any statistics at the moment but I'd bet that not only in recent history but for the Superbowl era, the best passing teams have had the most success.

You can point out the obvious exeptions to the rule (ie Ravens, Bucs) but you look at the teams that have had consistent success for long periods of time.. they all had good to great QB's and could launch the Rock...

Go all the way back to Johnny U if you want.. A premium air attack is a must for any team to compete year in and year out.

You might claim the home field and have the benefit of weather on occasion, but the friggin SB is always played on a fair weather field to prevent the elements from playing a part. The running game first is an archaic afterthought in todays NFL.

Don't get me wrong, you still need a good run game but more often than not the strong passing teams can run at will as well because teams have to play straight up.

Good god, i have to spend another year of watching Benson & Turner. (Ron that is)

:puke

Pretty sure the Bears will bring in another back to compete with Benson/Peterson. Unless of course the Bears feel that Peterson is starting material and they will go with a competition involving Benson/Peterson (however, given this years season long performance I don't see that happening).

The one thing I wonder is when it comes to Wolfe, how are the Bears going to prevent teams from just knowing it will be a passing down with him in (eventually they are going to figure out that for the most part he's been an ineffective rushing the ball, although amazing receiving the ball).

I agree 100%. The flavor of the day is a pass oriented offense. We need to retool and change our MO to be successful. We have some of the pieces. I think Hester could be another Steve Smith type of WR. Olsen is the real deal. Berrian (if resigned) is a solid receiver who can give you the big play. QB is a question mark as of now and our OL needs a lot of work. There is no reason we can not get these areas fixed through FA and the draft.

I agree with you, you need to improve the WR talent and utilize Hester and Olsen more. Not too surprisingly, while listening to the game yesterday, Jeff Joniak said toward the end of the gme that the total number of passes thrown by the Bears this season ranked third all time for in team history. So I think that, in large part, Lovie is dreaming and pandering to the old scholl when he says 'get off the bus running'.

I do think Ron can do a much better job of utilizing talent--Hester, Bradley, Olsen, giving Hass a look-see- than he's done. But we are moving into the 21st century football wise.

And a solid OLine is going to make a big difference in the final score of games. Just look what Orton could do when he had time to find receivers.

Go all the way back to Johnny U if you want.. A premium air attack is a must for any team to compete year in and year out.
Go back further for the Bears. Sid Luckman in the 40s was the last successful QB at putting a defense on its heels. Hence, players set or tie records like this one:

Consecutive 300 yard games-2

Brian Griese( 10/14-10/21) tied with Jim Miller, Bill Wade, George Blanda, and Sid Luckman

That's right. Brian Griese managed to permanently etch his name in the Bears record books by doing the unthinkable...throwing for more than 300 yards in 2 consecutive games. 300 yards passing is comparable to having a 100 yd rushing game. And if you are a Bear QB you step into unchartered waters when you throw for 300 yds. in a 3rd straight game! Isn't this embarrassing to you guys?

It's long been the time that this things should change and it starts with attitude. I read of others claiming that in swirly winds the passing game is ineffective. Swirling winds are the exception--not the rule. I don't live by exceptions, neither should the Bears. The passing game needs an upgrade. The pass sets up the run.

Go back further for the Bears. Sid Luckman in the 40s was the last successful QB at putting a defense on its heels. Hence, players set or tie records like this one:

Consecutive 300 yard games-2

Brian Griese( 10/14-10/21) tied with Jim Miller, Bill Wade, George Blanda, and Sid Luckman

That's right. Brian Griese managed to permanently etch his name in the Bears record books by doing the unthinkable...throwing for more than 300 yards in 2 consecutive games. 300 yards passing is comparable to having a 100 yd rushing game. And if you are a Bear QB you step into unchartered waters when you throw for 300 yds. in a 3rd straight game! Isn't this embarrassing to you guys?

It's long been the time that this things should change and it starts with attitude. I read of others claiming that in swirly winds the passing game is ineffective. Swirling winds are the exception--not the rule. I don't live by exceptions, neither should the Bears. The passing game needs an upgrade. The pass sets up the run.

We'd played only one game out of 16 that had swirling winds. So I agree, we need to develop the passing attack and then pound the ball after we have the lead. We were very successful early last season when Rex was delivering to Berrian with the long ball.

For me, it will begin with the Oline. Gotta have the protection first, then everything else falls into place.

We'd played only one game out of 16 that had swirling winds. So I agree, we need to develop the passing attack and then pound the ball after we have the lead. We were very successful early last season when Rex was delivering to Berrian with the long ball.

For me, it will begin with the Oline. Gotta have the protection first, then everything else falls into place.

Or install big ars fans in one side of the stadium to simulate at 40 MP sustained wind. :cheers

I disagree.. I can't pull out any statistics at the moment but I'd bet that not only in recent history but for the Superbowl era, the best passing teams have had the most success.

You can point out the obvious exeptions to the rule (ie Ravens, Bucs) but you look at the teams that have had consistent success for long periods of time.. they all had good to great QB's and could launch the Rock...

You might claim the home field and have the benefit of weather on occasion, but the friggin SB is always played on a fair weather field to prevent the elements from playing a part. The running game first is an archaic afterthought in todays NFL.

Don't get me wrong, you still need a good run game but more often than not the strong passing teams can run at will as well because teams have to play straight up.

Im not sure you caught the gist of my post. I wasnt trying to say you dont need to pass to be successful, I was commenting that I thought the article was accurate in response to Bearsox saying you dont need to pass to win a Super Bowl.

Or install big ars fans in one side of the stadium to simulate at 40 MP sustained wind. :cheers

Kind of like adjusting the mound or the level of the foul lines in baseball. That could insure we'd at least win 8 games a season!

Oh, and we could turn them off when we had the ball, unless it was for a long FG attempt! :rolleyes:

Disagree,

I think we need to be more like a Pitts, Eagles, Jax, type of running game with a stud oline, throwing playaction, using two good tight ends, screens, and having a couple of deep threats.

We need to get the OLine fixed.

Spread is great until the swirly twirly winds come out (ask the Pack)

This is great if all we EVER want is to make the playoffs.