Next Year

CrackerDog

Get the D healthy.

Retool the O Line (2 new starters at least) via the draft and FA.

Pick a RB in the first round.

Tell Turner to call the games like he did today... Agressive!

Sign Briggs, Berrian, and Des Clark. Let Grossman go.

You may go into the year with Orton as your QB but bring in a solid FA if available. If not available, draft a QB and keep Griese as your backup. Start Orton.

Trade Benson for a mid/late round pick. Do it now. I'm hearing the injury he has will require a lot of work to rehab. Who believes he'll have what it takes to rehab it?

Start thinking about paying Hester.

I would not draft a RB in the first, maybe 2nd or 3rd, but we need to address OL and Safety before RB IMO.

I do not think we sign both Briggs & Berrian. Would be nice but too much $$$

I doubt Benson has any significant trade value, especially rehabing from an injury

Do we really want to go into next year without agressively adding a QB to compete with Orton / Rex??? We need a new QB to throw into the mix via FA or draft.

Get the D healthy.

Retool the O Line (2 new starters at least) via the draft and FA.

Pick a RB in the first round.

Tell Turner to call the games like he did today... Agressive!

Sign Briggs, Berrian, and Des Clark. Let Grossman go.

You may go into the year with Orton as your QB but bring in a solid FA if available. If not available, draft a QB and keep Griese as your backup. Start Orton.

Trade Benson for a mid/late round pick. Do it now. I'm hearing the injury he has will require a lot of work to rehab. Who believes he'll have what it takes to rehab it?

Start thinking about paying Hester.

Des Clark is not a FA. He has 1 yr left on his deal.

In regards to trading Benson, I do not believe you can trade someone while injured (they have to pass a physical).

Peace :bears

Extend Harris and attempt to sign Briggs if the price is right. Let Berrian walk. Also look at extending Hester now. The Bears were about $10 million under the cap for 2007.

They need to bring in at least one OL FA. At least the Bears have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. They can get some quality in those picks.

Why sign Harris early? What is the points?

First, Harris has suffered through injuries the last two years. While I realize the talent he is, we are also talking about a massive amount of money, both in guarantees and overall, and it is not often you want to give that sort of coin to a player w/ injury issues.

Second, what is the rush. I understand signing a player early when you feel he is about to breakout, and you want to lock him up prior to this happening. Basically, the player gets security while the team gets a potential discount. I understand signing a player early when they say they want to remain, and are willing to give a home team discount.

What I do not understand is signing Harris early. Harris has already said he believes he should be paid as one of the top defensive players in the league. Most point to Freeney as the sort of coin Harris will be seeking. That sure doesn't sound like a discount to me. So why hurry to sign him? His price tag is unlikely to go up. If he has a great year, great. He will be seeking about the same sort of deal he is seeking now. Some may fear we could lose him in FA if we don't sign him. I would argue we can always slap the tag on him, as many teams do. And unlike w/ Briggs, we stand strong and make no promises. Play or don't get paid.

I want to see 16 injury free games before I give him $30m up front.

Extend Harris and attempt to sign Briggs if the price is right. Let Berrian walk. Also look at extending Hester now. The Bears were about $10 million under the cap for 2007.

They need to bring in at least one OL FA. At least the Bears have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. They can get some quality in those picks.

Actually, I believe you are wrong about where the Bears were in the 07 cap. I don't have the link but I'm pretty sure I posted it before the site migration...after extending Vasher and Tillman, the Bears basically wound up in a spot where they literally had the least amount of cap room left of any team in the league for 07 until November when teams could start using the 08 cap space. It was less than 600k IIRC. If my memory is right, Angelo did not waste a cent of his cap space last year. He didn't even have room to go after Leftwich or someone like that had he wanted to.