LT2_3 need your help

Connorbear

Question about Ced's contract. In the Suntimes today, it said the following:

"The No. 4 pick in the 2005 draft, Benson lost out on a $1.73 million bonus -- considered part of the guaranteed money in his contract -- when he finished with 674 yards, 27 shy of the trigger. With 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns in three seasons, he doesn't feel he needs to assert that he's the No. 1 back."

Do we get that money back as credit to the salary cap (I would assume so since it was considered guarenteed)?

What is his remaining contract (years and dollars)?

Thanks

Peace :bears

LT2_3

I know it is time consuming to do and I am sure you have a full plate as it is but if ever we needed your cap breakdown, this is it.

With so many holes to fill in our lineup, many of us are anxious to find out our current cap situation and what savings or "Hits" we would get for releasing certain players on our roster we have questions about.

I hope you can work your magic one more time for us and give us the info we are desperatly seeking!! Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

"The No. 4 pick in the 2005 draft, Benson lost out on a $1.73 million bonus -- considered part of the guaranteed money in his contract -- when he finished with 674 yards, 27 shy of the trigger. With 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns in three seasons, he doesn't feel he needs to assert that he's the No. 1 back."

Do we get that money back as credit to the salary cap (I would assume so since it was considered guarenteed)?

Thanks

I think we get that money back.

LT2_3

I know it is time consuming to do and I am sure you have a full plate as it is but if ever we needed your cap breakdown, this is it.

With so many holes to fill in our lineup, many of us are anxious to find out our current cap situation and what savings or "Hits" we would get for releasing certain players on our roster we have questions about.

I hope you can work your magic one more time for us and give us the info we are desperatly seeking!! Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm working on it. I should have it done soon.

As you guys may have seen, some guy posted some numbers on the mothership board. I'm checking my numbers against his and a few of them are quite different so I have to figure out why (other than the fact the guy is an idiot and can't seem to reconcile the difference in his head between actual money and cap dollars if you read the whole thread).

To answer about Ced's contract, he's under contract through the 2009 season with salaries of $820k and $1.02 million in 2008 and 2009. His failed bonus doesn't really change anything cap wise. I'm pretty sure it was of the escalator type where if he'd achieved "X", then his salaries would have been more in 2008 and 2009 or it would have come in the form of a roster bonus. Either way, it was never worked into the numbers for next year so there's no savings against the current cap.

Rookie contracts are a bit more complicated than other ones for a few reasons. However, without going into huge detail, I have his cap hit at rough;y $3.4 million in 2008, and about $3.6 million in 2009. If we release him (which won't happen btw) we would lose $1.75 million in cap space this year. If we were to split the hit over the next 2 years, we would save $820k against the cap this year and have a dead space hit in 2009 of about $2.5 million.

I hope that helps. :)

I think we get that money back.

Logic would say we get that 1.73 MIL added back into our cap figure. I think you are right.

I do not know if you ever saw the cap breakdown article LT2_3 produced and allowed me to post on the front page of Bearstalk.com but it was outstanding material, giving each players contract status and what it would cost (or our gain) if the player were cut from our roster. Best I had ever seen. I am hoping he will be able to come up with a current article of similar note for us here at TalkBears.com.

The guy who wrote that at CB.com was pretty thick. But what I took out of it was that there would be no cap benefit to cutting certain guys this year, such as Griese, Moose, Arch etc wouldn't save anything against the cap this year (though would free up room for the 09 season. Miller and Walker would save room, so they are as good as gone.

Benson would be a cap hit, but may be worth a post-june 1 cut if he doesn't get in shape. That guy is such a turd it kills me. Pretty sad that every other team picks guys in the middle rounds or undrafted that cna be solid, and we get a number 4 overall pick and a third rounder in Wolfe who can't run three yards.

I'm working on it. I should have it done soon.

As you guys may have seen, some guy posted some numbers on the mothership board. I'm checking my numbers against his and a few of them are quite different so I have to figure out why (other than the fact the guy is an idiot and can't seem to reconcile the difference in his head between actual money and cap dollars if you read the whole thread).

To answer about Ced's contract, he's under contract through the 2009 season with salaries of $820k and $1.02 million in 2008 and 2009. His failed bonus doesn't really change anything cap wise. I'm pretty sure it was of the escalator type where if he'd achieved "X", then his salaries would have been more in 2008 and 2009 or it would have come in the form of a roster bonus. Either way, it was never worked into the numbers for next year so there's no savings against the current cap.

Rookie contracts are a bit more complicated than other ones for a few reasons. However, without going into huge detail, I have his cap hit at rough;y $3.4 million in 2008, and about $3.6 million in 2009. If we release him (which won't happen btw) we would lose $1.75 million in cap space this year. If we were to split the hit over the next 2 years, we would save $820k against the cap this year and have a dead space hit in 2009 of about $2.5 million.

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks for your help. Will wait for the rest of the cap breakdown.

The guy who wrote that at CB.com was pretty thick. But what I took out of it was that there would be no cap benefit to cutting certain guys this year, such as Griese, Moose, Arch etc wouldn't save anything against the cap this year (though would free up room for the 09 season. Miller and Walker would save room, so they are as good as gone.

Benson would be a cap hit, but may be worth a post-june 1 cut if he doesn't get in shape. That guy is such a turd it kills me. Pretty sad that every other team picks guys in the middle rounds or undrafted that cna be solid, and we get a number 4 overall pick and a third rounder in Wolfe who can't run three yards.

You've got to believe that they will dump Moose anyway if they sign Berrian to a long term deal. Further, no reason to keep Arch around since he will not start. I would think we would look at trading Griese since we can most likely get trade value for him.