The end of Lance Briggs?

Da Bears 88

I believe so. I don't think we can afford him. Too many bigger problems to fill.

Think you're right about Briggs. Rosenhaus is going to get some team to pony up big $ and the Bears will say thanks, but no thanks.

Think you're right about Briggs. Rosenhaus is going to get some team to pony up big $ and the Bears will say thanks, but no thanks.

And whatever team winds up being the big spender that goes after him will probably wind up being one of those teams a lot of people thinks will surprise a lot of people next year. And, just like the team that spent a ton in FA last season, they'll implode next year for various reasons due in no small part to trying to fix problems by throwing money at them.

You must be referring to the Redskins. ;)

And whatever team winds up being the big spender that goes after him will probably wind up being one of those teams a lot of people thinks will surprise a lot of people next year. And, just like the team that spent a ton in FA last season, they'll implode next year for various reasons due in no small part to trying to fix problems by throwing money at them.

True enough! Imagine if they didn't spend that though! They'd be right there with Miami hoping for one win!

Well, if they didn't go "all out" to try to win this year, they probably wouldn't have convinced themselves that swapping their 08 pick for the Patriots' 07 pick was a good idea.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Niners or the Redskins make a good push for him. Rosenhaus has a ton of clients on the Redskins and deals with their front office a lot and they are always a team looking to net big name free agents.

It's not nearly as detailed as the look that our guys took at the Bears cap status, but here's Peter King's analysis from a few weeks ago about where teams stood in relation to the 08 cap. The 9ers have more room than the Bears. The Redskins, uh, don't.

It's not nearly as detailed as the look that our guys took at the Bears cap status, but here's Peter King's analysis from a few weeks ago about where teams stood in relation to the 08 cap. The 9ers have more room than the Bears. The Redskins, uh, don't.

I saw that article a while ago and initially thought they were screwed cap wise. I think theyve been pretty good at maneuvering contracts and working the cap.

Briggs is very good, but not great. I'd love to have him back, and unless the Bears go after both Bryant Johnson and a top-flight O-lineman, I think they should make every effort to sign Briggs. He's young, good, and a core player on a championship caliber defense (when everyone's healthy).

While I feel the focus of this off-season should be squarely on improving the offense, I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of the overall impact on the team. Losing Briggs probably would hurt us more than signing any of the available offensive free agents would help us.

Our biggest area of need is the OL, and this year the best available talent is in the draft, not free agency. All this considered, it won't break my heart if Angelo lets Briggs walk. He's been a beneficiary of playing with a lot of great players in Chicago, and I think Jamar Williams is a capable football player, so it's not liek we're doomed if we let him go...I just think we're better with him than without him, and I don't see a lot of areas where that money would be better spent, based on available free agents.

Gonna be a damn interesting off-season, and I'm very anxious to hear what Angelo has to say tomorrow...

They're a poorly run franchise (SF). I'm sure the Pat's knew exactly what they were doing, laughing all the way to the bank!

Well, if they didn't go "all out" to try to win this year, they probably wouldn't have convinced themselves that swapping their 08 pick for the Patriots' 07 pick was a good idea.