Nickerson resigns

Connorbear

While I felt Nickerson was our least significant position coach in 2007 (due to the fact that he inherited a very solid veteran group that required no real development), I think finding a good replacement is a very important task for Lovie.

Assuming Briggs leaves, the new LB coach will have to continue to develop Williams into a legitimate starting WLB in a system that demands very good play from the position. Additionally, he will need to develop Okwo into the #4 LB/back-up at all 3 positions/potential future starter.

IMO both of these tasks are bigger challenges than anything Hardy Nickerson, or for that matter Bob Babich before him, faced as LB coach for the Bears.

While I have no insight or idea into potential replacements, I would like to see Lovie depart from his track record of hiring a young rookie coach out of a college program. The next coach will need to be able to balance the challenge of utilizing 2 well-respected veterans on the team (Urlacher & Hillenmeyer) with the development of 2 young and relatively untested players (Williams and Okwo...untested emphasis on Okwo) who will both be needed for our defense to be successful in 2008. I think a veteran coach with NFL experience, either a former LB coach or Defensive coordinator, would be best equipped to do that.

Then again, best case scenario, Briggs re-signs and this is all moot, but I just don't see that happening.

Nickerson resigning had to do with personal reasons. He has had some people close to him fall ill and it has made him want to spend more time with his family. I think he was a hell of a football player and I know he'll be a heck of a coach when he ends up coming back in a few years (he said he will be back, I think he is waiting for his kids to grow up a bit more and things to stabilize in terms of the health of his family).

The Bears definitely are going to have to find a quality guy to bring in, especially since Jamar Williams is going to be fighting for a job and depending on the development of the Stanford LB (Okyo or whatever his name is), you may end up having two new starting Lb's before all is said and done.

I'm sorry but there is obviously more to this story. I suspect there are either more problems than he's talking about at home or he was asked to leave. I mean, I loved my mother and I even really like my mother in law but I'm not quitting a job because they get sick. That's just kinda the natural order of things at that age.

I'm sorry but there is obviously more to this story. I suspect there are either more problems than he's talking about at home or he was asked to leave. I mean, I loved my mother and I even really like my mother in law but I'm not quitting a job because they get sick. That's just kinda the natural order of things at that age.

Yeah, well you arent an ex football player who already made plenty of money and has the luxury of staying home when your loved ones get sick.

If my mother or mother in law got sick and I could afford it, I absolutely would stay home with her.

Maybe there is more to the story, but I would also point something out. Nickerson is probably not hurting for money. If he wants to take a year or two off, he can probably afford to.

From the story in the Trib, I get the impression it is far more than the mothers simply being "sick". I get the impression his wife is likely caring for the mothers, which can be a fulltime job w/ loads of overtime. I have seen how caring for elderly who were sick can suck the time and life out of you. I can easily understand his wife needing help, both w/ the mothers and w/ their children.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but (a) do not think you fully understand what it takes to care for elderly and (B) assume you are not likely in a financial position to take a year or two off w/o suffering greatly for it, which Nickerson may well be.

My father passed away do to cancer 2 years ago. I would give anything to have spent more time with him before he passed. I assume that Hardy has the financial ability to take the time away from work to be with his famiy.

All things being equal, I'll take my family over work everytime.

Peace :bears

My father passed away do to cancer 2 years ago. I would give anything to have spent more time with him before he passed. I assume that Hardy has the financial ability to take the time away from work to be with his famiy.

All things being equal, I'll take my family over work everytime.

Peace :bears

I agree. He was not earning that much as a coach.