Bears feel very good about defensive front

Pixote

On PFW website the latest The way we hear it article entitled: Bears feel very good about defensive front is an interesting read.

It’s become obvious that the Bears clearly recognize the need for a major revamping of their offensive line, with the odds strong at present that GM Jerry Angelo could spend the team’s 14th overall pick in the first round on one of the talented, young O-linemen he scouted personally earlier this week during Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala. It’s a totally different story up front on the other side of the ball, however, with team insiders believing the Bears could have one of the deepest and most talented D-lines in the NFL — if (with a capital “I) everybody stays healthy. With three solid ends in Adewale Ogunleye, Alex Brown and Mark Anderson, the team doesn’t need ’07 second-round pick Dan Bazuin, who was a nonfactor in his rookie season due to injury, to be anything more than a situational player in ’08. Inside, they appear to have a very solid five-deep situation with Pro Bowler Tommie Harris, Dusty Dvoracek (who was also injured the entire ’07 season and is considered the team’s best pure run defender), ’07 free-agent addition Anthony Adams, Matt Toeaina and Antonio Garay. We didn’t include high-priced ’07 trade addition Darwin Walker in the Bears’ DT mix, since it seems likelier than ever that he won’t be back after managing only 33 tackles (15th among Bears defenders) and one sack in ’07. But when you add valuable swingman Israel Idonije to the mix, you could have yourself a potential D-line to die for.

I think we will keep Walker if he is willing to restructure his deal. He did have injury problems, so we'll see.

If we can keep him "cheap" fine. No big bucks. If Dusty & Harris are healthy he would be a #3 DL for the Bears. #3 DLmen should not get big bucks.

If we can keep him "cheap" fine. No big bucks. If Dusty & Harris are healthy he would be a #3 DL for the Bears. #3 DLmen should not get big bucks.

If the Bears have anhy confidence in those other couple guys based on how they performed at the end of the year, then there's no reason to hold on to Walker. Even if all you do is dump him for a 6th round pick or something like that.

Im very confident in our whole defense if they can stay healthy. If Harris and Dvoracek can BOTH stay on the field all year our d line should be dominant.

Dvoracek was injured on special teams, so that was sort of a freak accident. Harris was just beat up with different injuries. When those two are at full strength, they are dominating.

I just want to add this in here... Dusty was injured his rookie season, but it was said that he could be back to 100% as soon as week 6. However, the Bears like to use the IR on rookies like a redshirt.... but it was stupid we didn't put him on the PUP first and then go from there, he could have made a big impact late last season.

I just want to add this in here... Dusty was injured his rookie season, but it was said that he could be back to 100% as soon as week 6. However, the Bears like to use the IR on rookies like a redshirt.... but it was stupid we didn't put him on the PUP first and then go from there, he could have made a big impact late last season.

First off, for a player to be put on the PUP, he had to have been injured before training camp. Any player who has been active during TC is not elligible. (I found this out when I openly wondered why the hell we didn't PUP Michael Okwo & Dan Bazuin)

Secondly, how do we know he's Dvoracek is that good? Yes we heard about how good he was in training camp, but after hearing how great Adam Archuletta was, I don't put much stock in that.

Yes Anthony Adams looked good next to Tommie Harris & Darwin Walker who were both basically playing on one leg.

Either way, it'd be foolish to assume Dvoracek is that good. I just hope we can work out a reasonable deal with Walker to ink him to a long term deal.