2008 franchise & transition numbers

Pixote

I'd rather give him the 8 million guaranteed as opposed to the 16-20 million he would probably receive in a long term contract.

Nope, disagree, I would tie him up for a 4 or 5 yr contract that was cap friendly before I would give him 7.8 Million for 1 year and then let him walk like we seem to be going to let Briggs go.

How much did you think it was gonna be when everyone thought it was a good idea. If OLB was 7.2 this year you would have to know a WR this year was gonna be way more then Berrian is worth.

Just never gave it much thought until I saw this article. I was never one to want to franchise tag him to start with. Just as with Briggs, I wanted to sign him to a contract or trade him. I did not want to tag him. I do not like the tag. Too much money for a one year stop gap contract. The player is usually pissed off because of the tag. He then splits the first chance he gets. Not worth it in my opinion.

This is really a bad year to need a WR. Last year between trades and the draft we could have replaced Berrian much easier. Based on the draft prospects and garbage FA out there we may have to tag him. If we can make a splash on the o line in FA I could even see us using a first day pick on WR. Its a sad day when despite how bad our offense was the best WR and qb out there might be guys from our team.

Just never gave it much thought until I saw this article. I was never one to want to franchise tag him to start with. Just as with Briggs, I wanted to sign him to a contract or trade him. I did not want to tag him. I do not like the tag. Too much money for a one year stop gap contract. The player is usually pissed off because of the tag. He then splits the first chance he gets. Not worth it in my opinion.

The problem is the rest of the FA class is garbage. We need Berrian around for at least another yr. I am hoping JA can get him signed to a cap friendly long term deal.

Peace :bears