Booker wants to be a bear

GakMan23

Booker back to the Bears?

By Vaughn McClure, 5:18 p.m.

The Bears have been contacted about re-signing receiver Marty Booker, an NFL source said Tuesday.

Booker, cut by the Miami Dolphins, has drawn interest from a number of teams. The Bears were not among the initial group which contacted Booker within 24 hours of his release, but Booker reportedly has made it clear that his first preference would be a return to Chicago.

Booker was a third-round draft pick of the Bears in 1999 but was traded to the Dolphins in 2004 for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye and a third-round pick (linebacker Channing Crowder).

Booker, who turns 32 on July 31, probably has at least a couple good years left in him despite being released by Miami. His production tailed off this past season with just 50 catches for 556 yards and one touchdown. But Miami was the fifth-worst offensive team in the league and Booker was the team’s leading receiver.

The Bears will need an extra body at receiver with Bernard Berrian bound for free agency on Feb. 29 and Muhsin Muhammad possibly not in the team's plans. Plus general manager Jerry Angelo always liked Booker, who made the Pro Bowl with the Bears after the 2003 season. Booker still holds the team record for receptions in a season with 100 in 2001. He followed with 97 catches during his Pro Bowl season.

Booker was due to make $4.3 million this coming season. Cutting him will give new Dolphins vice president Bill Parcells flexibility under the cap to pursue free agents, such as Berrian -- or Rex Grossman.

The Dolphins entertained trade offers for Booker before the 2007 season.

This would be awesome. I do not believe anyone thinks Booker would be our savior. At the same time, I simply believe he is what our offense needs, and has needed since his departure. He would add a WR that can move the chains, and provides a reliable target for the QB, whoever that may be.

This would be awesome. I do not believe anyone thinks Booker would be our savior. At the same time, I simply believe he is what our offense needs, and has needed since his departure. He would add a WR that can move the chains, and provides a reliable target for the QB, whoever that may be.

I agree completely. Obviously its not a ground breaking move but it is definitely an improvement for our team. He would also be cheaper than Moose and make him expendable. Maybe even to the point that it could provide money towards Berrian.

nfo, you read my mind!

I would actually be more expensive this year, though it could be cheaper after.

This year, according to Lt2, we save $100k by cutting Moose, so cutting him is basically as wash cap wise factoring bonus against '08 money. But we would then add the contrat of Booker. If Booker gets $1m (not saying that is what it would be, but simple math) we would then be spending about $1m more against our cap in '08 than if we simply kept Moose and didn't sign Booker.

So this is not a money saving avenue, at least not for '08. I could be cheaper in '09 and after, but for this year, it would actually cost us cap space, and would not make it easier to sign Berrian.

My argument is that Booker is enough of an upgrade to Moose that he is worth the extra initial coin. Further, I would argue there is a good chance Booker is cheaper after this year than Moose would be. I would further, further argue that Moose is not part of our post-'08 plans, and we may as well move on sooner rather than later.

Right now, the only reason to keep Moose is because we have no better options. Booker provides a better option.