Miller gone as well

Connorbear

Official per the Bears site - cleaning house.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4377

Peace :bears

Yet Archuletta hasn't been dumped yet??? Curious.

Wow, we've cleared out a bunch of cap room today. We've got to be close to being 30 million under. It ought to be interesting.

Wow, we've cleared out a bunch of cap room today. We've got to be close to being 30 million under. It ought to be interesting.

No, he hasn't, if that was even a question.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said on a Bears forum on another site.

Does anybody know, all you great # guys, with the cuts of Moose, Miller, and Walk, how much money do we have now to spend? Thanks

They are probably hanging onto Arch until Brown is fully cleared. They made the mistake of getting rid of some guys (Harris) last year and paid the price. He might be kept on as a Special Teamer and for depth at Safety. Lovie probably wants to give him one more shot.

Per LT2 numbers, it looks like we cleared around $10m, to go along w/ the $20m or so we already were under.

Now I should preface this. While $30m is a great deal of change, from a report I saw, it appears a lot of teams are going to have a ton of cap space to spend this year.

Per LT2 numbers, it looks like we cleared around $10m, to go along w/ the $20m or so we already were under.

Now I should preface this. While $30m is a great deal of change, from a report I saw, it appears a lot of teams are going to have a ton of cap space to spend this year.

I'm confused, so signing Berrian for about $30 million over 4-5 years is all the money we'll have? :crying

I'm confused, so signing Berrian for about $30 million over 4-5 years is all the money we'll have? :crying

No, because it is broken down by year. The actual salary and a portion of the signing bonus is what is counted each year. LT2 breaks it down pretty good, and there is also some good info here: http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Huh? You don't count the $30m you sign Berrian to. You only count the portion against the '08 cap.

For example, just using some simple numbers. 5yr deal for $30m, plus a $10m bonus. Total deal worth $40m. Assuming all years even, you take $6m (30m divided by 5) and add $2m (10m divided by 5 years). So you have a cap hit of $8m, not $30 or $40.

Now it would not be $8m, even if the deal was w/ the above numbers. The base salaries of the $30m deal would be spread out. Often year one is closer to $1m (since the player is also getting a big bonus up front) and they get progressively bigger. Rarely do players play the final year, and often that final year is a balloon year. So the cap hit year one might be around $3m while the final year is around $12m, at which point you either redo his deal, or cut him to avoid the big cap hit.

Huh? You don't count the $30m you sign Berrian to. You only count the portion against the '08 cap.

For example, just using some simple numbers. 5yr deal for $30m, plus a $10m bonus. Total deal worth $40m. Assuming all years even, you take $6m (30m divided by 5) and add $2m (10m divided by 5 years). So you have a cap hit of $8m, not $30 or $40.

Now it would not be $8m, even if the deal was w/ the above numbers. The base salaries of the $30m deal would be spread out. Often year one is closer to $1m (since the player is also getting a big bonus up front) and they get progressively bigger. Rarely do players play the final year, and often that final year is a balloon year. So the cap hit year one might be around $3m while the final year is around $12m, at which point you either redo his deal, or cut him to avoid the big cap hit.

Oh, alright, so if Faneca was 9 million a year and Berrian 6, we just used 15 million of the 32 we have available? Got it. Thanks for the help!

Here is a projection from December: http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

The one thing to notice is the Bears actually had the most players under contract (52-tied with ATL). So the actual salary numbers are a little misleading if you don't take the total players signed into account.

Almost. Faneca's deal may average $9m a year, but the reality is the yearly base salary is going to be different. Year one could be near the vet minimum, while the final year could be some $20m whopper. So the cap hit starts lower and rises. Since the players never see the final year, and the cap goes up, that is how most all teams structure their deals.

Oh, alright, so if Faneca was 9 million a year and Berrian 6, we just used 15 million of the 32 we have available? Got it. Thanks for the help!

Official per the Bears site - cleaning house.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4377

Peace :bears

This was a no brainer. Thats not to say the Bears couldn't renegotiate with him but there was no way he was going to get the amount he was due this year. I thank him for a great 06 and hope to hell the Bears can seriously upgrade the position in 07 because he was the worse starter on the squad last year.