A look back at the 2007 draft

nfoligno

Sure, it is still WAY early to give a true grade to a draft that took place only a year ago, but w/ so much draft talk, what the hell.

1st round, 31st pick - Olsen

Most of us still believe this was a great pick. Someone just needs to explain that to Turner.

2nd round, 30th pick - Bazuin

We had a high 2nd round pick, and traded down. We ended up taking Bazuin, Wolfe and Payne w/ those new picks.

Bazuin does not look like a good pick at all. The injury aside, he is 4th on the depth chart w/ little room to move up.

3rd round, 30th pick - Wolfe

I hated this pick than, and still do today. While many will argue, what does it say about our 3rd round RB that we are today still placing such a high need on RB. Don't talk about Benson, as that doesn't matter. Heck, if anything, Benson's failures only gave Wolfe more room.

3rd round, 31st pick - Okwo

Still a lot to be seen, but has anyone heard Okso's name even mentioned as the replacement for Briggs? It doesn't even sound like he is in the running.

4th round, 31st pick - Beekman

Man I was high on this pick, but w/ all the issues on the OL, it is telling that Beekman was never even given a look late in the year when we were totally out of it. Metcalf was tried (and failed) and then St. Clair was moved inside, as opposed to Beekman getting a look.

5th round, 30th pick - Payne

Looked like a good pick, and the supposed reason we traded Harris, until he ended his rookie season w/ injury. What is it w/ our rookies and injuries?

5th round, 31st pick - Graham

Showed a little, very little, late in the year. W/ the emergence of McBride, will we see him again w/o an injury to one of our other corners?

7th round, 11th pick - McBride

Great pick. He showed a lot when given a chance. He may not be a stud, but for a 7th round pick, he has already shown more than expected value.

7th round, 31st pick - Brant

I think he is still on the team, but the lack of any talk what-so-ever, combined w/ our heavy interest in upgrading our OT situation is telling. Also, like Beekman, was not even given a second thought late in the year when Miller was benched.

Olsen can still help this draft, but how much else can we truly expect? Bazuin seems buried on the depth chart. Okwo looks like a backup. Wolfe has questionable value going forward. McBride looked solid, but we are set w/ our starters, and unless we dump RMJ (which I think will happen) McBride will move back down on the depth chart. Graham is even deeper. Beekman and Brant do not seem to have much future. Payne could equal Olsen as the most likely to make a jump.

nfo,

I like your assessments!

The overall key for me is how this coaching staff is using the talent. There are many unanswered questions. we get the company line from them...but I wonder what the reality is? Are some of these guys not getting touches because they aren't good, or is it because the staff is inept?

Sure, it is still WAY early to give a true grade to a draft that took place only a year ago, but w/ so much draft talk, what the hell.

Most of us still believe this was a great pick. Someone just needs to explain that to Turner.

We had a high 2nd round pick, and traded down. We ended up taking Bazuin, Wolfe and Payne w/ those new picks.

Bazuin does not look like a good pick at all. The injury aside, he is 4th on the depth chart w/ little room to move up.

I hated this pick than, and still do today. While many will argue, what does it say about our 3rd round RB that we are today still placing such a high need on RB. Don't talk about Benson, as that doesn't matter. Heck, if anything, Benson's failures only gave Wolfe more room.

Still a lot to be seen, but has anyone heard Okso's name even mentioned as the replacement for Briggs? It doesn't even sound like he is in the running.

Man I was high on this pick, but w/ all the issues on the OL, it is telling that Beekman was never even given a look late in the year when we were totally out of it. Metcalf was tried (and failed) and then St. Clair was moved inside, as opposed to Beekman getting a look.

Looked like a good pick, and the supposed reason we traded Harris, until he ended his rookie season w/ injury. What is it w/ our rookies and injuries?

Showed a little, very little, late in the year. W/ the emergence of McBride, will we see him again w/o an injury to one of our other corners?

Great pick. He showed a lot when given a chance. He may not be a stud, but for a 7th round pick, he has already shown more than expected value.

I think he is still on the team, but the lack of any talk what-so-ever, combined w/ our heavy interest in upgrading our OT situation is telling. Also, like Beekman, was not even given a second thought late in the year when Miller was benched.

Olsen can still help this draft, but how much else can we truly expect? Bazuin seems buried on the depth chart. Okwo looks like a backup. Wolfe has questionable value going forward. McBride looked solid, but we are set w/ our starters, and unless we dump RMJ (which I think will happen) McBride will move back down on the depth chart. Graham is even deeper. Beekman and Brant do not seem to have much future. Payne could equal Olsen as the most likely to make a jump.

nfo,

I like your assessments!

The overall key for me is how this coaching staff is using the talent. There are many unanswered questions. we get the company line from them...but I wonder what the reality is? Are some of these guys not getting touches because they aren't good, or is it because the staff is inept?

Part of the evaluation has to be the fact that the Bears decided they were deep enough going in to last year's draft to take 2 guys who they thought would be good players and essentially give them a redshirt year (Okwo and Bazuin). Both of these guys should see non-trivial amounts of playing time this year (there's no reason why a team can't play 4 deep at DE), so next year will be the year to evaluate those guys.

And at least for now I'm willing to give a "pass" on the Wolfe pick, because I still contend that it would have taken Barry Sanders to put up a 3.5 yard per carry average on the Bears last year when you combine the horrendous play of the O-Line with the lack of a solid passing threat.

But these are the 3 key guys (aside from Olsen) that will determine the quality of that draft. They all need to play like 2nd and 3rd round picks when they get time next year.

Part of the evaluation has to be the fact that the Bears decided they were deep enough going in to last year's draft to take 2 guys who they thought would be good players and essentially give them a redshirt year (Okwo and Bazuin). Both of these guys should see non-trivial amounts of playing time this year (there's no reason why a team can't play 4 deep at DE), so next year will be the year to evaluate those guys.

And at least for now I'm willing to give a "pass" on the Wolfe pick, because I still contend that it would have taken Barry Sanders to put up a 3.5 yard per carry average on the Bears last year when you combine the horrendous play of the O-Line with the lack of a solid passing threat.

But these are the 3 key guys (aside from Olsen) that will determine the quality of that draft. They all need to play like 2nd and 3rd round picks when they get time next year.

Do you really tihnk they'll produce this year? The strange thing is, last year at this time, the word out of Halas (as per the SCORE) was that we LOVED Jamar Williams & Dusty Dvoracek, 2 players who red-shirted the previous year. This year the SCORE guys have said is "Michael Okwo, Dan Bazuin, possible busts." Seriously. Granted that's all talk, but I haven't heard one damn good thing about either one of those guys.

As for Wolfe, do you REALLY think he'll ever be more then a nice #2? Which is fine, except when you draft a guy in the 3rd round, you want him to be a starter. Wolfe's a nice player, but he's not a starter.

Let me throw this out: Did Angelo's draft strategy change in 2007? In 2006 we needed help at safety, we needed a return man, but that was about it. So we rolled the dice on guys with great talent, but had dropped. You had:

D Manning who is incredibly fast but too damn stupid to play division I (Which means he's not as smart as Hester. Wow.) Was it Nebraska he flunked out of? How the hell does that happen?

Hester: The Shoeless Joe Jackson of football players. "Can you spell cat?" A top 10 talent.

Dvoracek: Would have been a #1 pick except he got drunk & beat his friend into a coma.

Jamar Williams: I can't remember why he dropped to the 4th round but he was projected higher.

Mark Anderson: Dropped because he was to slow to be a linebacker & too small to be a DE. So he turned into a fast as hell DE (but a TERRIBLE run-stopper.)

Angelo repeatedly took a risk on talented guys. They were introduced to a veteran team returning all starters, and the game paid off.

In 2007 we had even fewer major needs. Greg Olsen fell, but the real criticism comes from Bazuin, Okwo, & Wolfe. All 3 players were guys with limited talent who seemed to over-achieve in a college, and were considered "reaches" when the Bears drafted them. Now all 3 have "bust" with a "?" next to them.

(I left Beekman out of this because I think he fell.)

Maybe Angelo needs to focus on talent first. Sign over-achievers, but don't draft them.

Let me throw this out: Did Angelo's draft strategy change in 2007? In 2006 we needed help at safety, we needed a return man, but that was about it. So we rolled the dice on guys with great talent, but had dropped. You had:

D Manning who is incredibly fast but too damn stupid to play division I (Which means he's not as smart as Hester. Wow.) Was it Nebraska he flunked out of? How the hell does that happen?

Hester: The Shoeless Joe Jackson of football players. "Can you spell cat?" A top 10 talent.

Dvoracek: Would have been a #1 pick except he got drunk & beat his friend into a coma.

Jamar Williams: I can't remember why he dropped to the 4th round but he was projected higher.

Mark Anderson: Dropped because he was to slow to be a linebacker & too small to be a DE. So he turned into a fast as hell DE (but a TERRIBLE run-stopper.)

Angelo repeatedly took a risk on talented guys. They were introduced to a veteran team returning all starters, and the game paid off.

In 2007 we had even fewer major needs. Greg Olsen fell, but the real criticism comes from Bazuin, Okwo, & Wolfe. All 3 players were guys with limited talent who seemed to over-achieve in a college, and were considered "reaches" when the Bears drafted them. Now all 3 have "bust" with a "?" next to them.

(I left Beekman out of this because I think he fell.)

Maybe Angelo needs to focus on talent first. Sign over-achievers, but don't draft them.

Not to be a smart@$$, but Hester had a 3.6 GPA at Miami, so whether or not those were legit classes, he has to have some sense of the word "learn". Maybe he just isn't a good talker...

BTW, Brant is not on the team anymore. He was released early last year if I remember correctly.

Not to be a smart@$$, but Hester had a 3.6 GPA at Miami, so whether or not those were legit classes, he has to have some sense of the word "learn". Maybe he just isn't a good talker...

BTW, Brant is not on the team anymore. He was released early last year if I remember correctly.

How many time-outs did we call because Hester was out of position? Did you see it when they lined up at the line and Moose physically pushed Hester and pointed where he was supposed to be? Warranted or not, the knock on Hester was that he was stoopid. One of the problems we had with him in his rookie year is that we were trying to "coach him up" on punt returning. Finally we just to to hell with it. Run Forest Run!!! When he didn't have to think the results were good.

Although I did love it when Hester said, "They say I'm so fast, I'm the only guy that can run through the car wash and not get wet!"

I meant to comment on Brant. You are correct. We dumped him before training camp even started which was kind of a big deal.

How many time-outs did we call because Hester was out of position? Did you see it when they lined up at the line and Moose physically pushed Hester and pointed where he was supposed to be? Warranted or not, the knock on Hester was that he was stoopid. One of the problems we had with him in his rookie year is that we were trying to "coach him up" on punt returning. Finally we just to to hell with it. Run Forest Run!!! When he didn't have to think the results were good.

Although I did love it when Hester said, "They say I'm so fast, I'm the only guy that can run through the car wash and not get wet!"

I meant to comment on Brant. You are correct. We dumped him before training camp even started which was kind of a big deal.

Well, whether or not you think he's "stoopid", the 3.6 GPA has to have some meaning. Even if he was in dumb classes, or he was getting help (aka cheating), 3.6 GPA means you have to have some idea of school.

I like the Brant point. How bad can he possibly of been? He might have helped us fill a spot last year when Fred The Revolving Door Miller was getting toasted play after play.

Frankly, I have often asked in the past whether the problem is in our scouting, decisions on draft day, or our staff's ability to develop that talent. While there are some players I give Angelo a pass on because I think it is a problem w/ the staff (see Olsen), others I am not so quick to blame the staff, see Wolfe.

Well, Alex Brown complained last year there weren't enough snaps to go around for 3 DEs. How do you think they will feel about 4. I don't see how you can really rotate 4 DEs. Players need enough snaps to get into a rhythm, and if they are constantly being pulled out of the game, it is only going to hurt us.

Also, I don't buy the red shirt thing. At least not on draft day. That may be something later on, in camp, but on draft day, I just do not believe we were looking for red shirt potential players.

I am not going to blast Wolfe for the stats he put up. My issue is this. We have Benson, who is not going anywhere, at least not this year. We have Peterson, who is a favorite of most. We also now have Wolfe. But we also are trying to add a RB. Who do you think goes. Sorry, but while many talk about how we can, we are not going to keep 4 RBs, which means if we add a RB, I have to think it is Wolfe that goes. And I don't blame Wolfe. I blame Angelo for drafting him. I never thought he was a good pick for us, and was drafted way early.

While I am not going to argue these three players factor big in the grade, I also think some others can have an impact. If we cut RMJ, McBride has a chance to be our nickel, and could again be a starter if there is an injury. Payne I think might have a shot to start this year. If Payne and McBride step up, along w/ Olsen, it will help the grade too. I simply right now see little chance for many of last years picks moving up much on the depth chart.

Regarding Brant, didn't we sign him to the practice squad. Maybe not, but I thought he might have.

As for how smart Hester is, there are simply too many ways to go w/ that one.

Maybe he is book smart, but he smarts are limited to the classroom. Maybe Miami is a football program where players are allowed to basically cruise through. Wouldn't be the first program. I don't know, but I remember many knocks (or at least questions) regarding his football intelligence, and this was one thing pointed to when he was moved around as he didn't seem able to pickup a position.

Like I said, I really don't know how smart he is or not. I believe Vince Young had a pretty good GPA at Texas, a major school (going back right now to get his degree) yet if you listen to him, he sure doesn't sound smart, and his wonderlick was pitiful.

So running Wolfe up the middle against the Vikings DT's was a good idea on Turners part.

Absolutely that was awful. At the same time, I simply question the original mentality of the pick itself. Lets say Benson didn't get injured last year. When was Wolfe supposed to get reps? Many say he is a change of pace, but that is exactly how AP was used. AP is a better and more proven receiver. Also, Wolfe needs a ton of work in blocking. So was he likely to get much PT as a 3rd down back? I doubt it.

What I believe is, Wolfe was drafted to support Hester as much as RB. I remember a lot of talk about Wolfe as a return man. After the SB, I believe the staff was looking for players that could be used for the shorter field on returns. Problem was, Wolfe really struggled in the return game in camp, and thus others moved ahead of him. I think we used Davis, RMJ and one or two others to field those short kickoffs. IMHO, that was a big reason we drafted Wolfe, but he didn't step up to take that role. So we were left w/ Wolfe as our 3rd RB.

I'm sorry, but I just didn't see the role. When was Wolfe supposed to be on the field?

No argument that Turner was an idiot in how Wolfe was used. My point was, I never agreed w/ the reason to draft him in the first place.

Absolutely that was awful. At the same time, I simply question the original mentality of the pick itself. Lets say Benson didn't get injured last year. When was Wolfe supposed to get reps? Many say he is a change of pace, but that is exactly how AP was used. AP is a better and more proven receiver. Also, Wolfe needs a ton of work in blocking. So was he likely to get much PT as a 3rd down back? I doubt it.

What I believe is, Wolfe was drafted to support Hester as much as RB. I remember a lot of talk about Wolfe as a return man. After the SB, I believe the staff was looking for players that could be used for the shorter field on returns. Problem was, Wolfe really struggled in the return game in camp, and thus others moved ahead of him. I think we used Davis, RMJ and one or two others to field those short kickoffs. IMHO, that was a big reason we drafted Wolfe, but he didn't step up to take that role. So we were left w/ Wolfe as our 3rd RB.

I'm sorry, but I just didn't see the role. When was Wolfe supposed to be on the field?

No argument that Turner was an idiot in how Wolfe was used. My point was, I never agreed w/ the reason to draft him in the first place.

There was no reason to draft him at all. I think it was one of rhte worst picks the Bears have made in a long time because not only did they take him way too high. He also doesnt fill any void on our team. Like you said, we have change of pace back and returner. It was just an egotistical pick.

W/ TJ being traded, I fully understood RB as a draft need, and even as high as a day one need. My issue was/is, if you are going to draft a RB, why not get one w/ the potential to be a starter. I just could not understand drafting a kid on day one who had next to no chance to develop into a starter. At best, he is a good change of pace player, but did we really need to spend a day one pick for that?

I am not going to argue that, but when the rest of the draft class produces so little, I am not sure how much you can hang you hat on a guy simply because he did well on special teams.

I was not arguing about the rest of the class. I agree with your assessment on the rest of the class. I disagree with your assessment on Graham.

Peace :bears

Well, whether or not you think he's "stoopid", the 3.6 GPA has to have some meaning. Even if he was in dumb classes, or he was getting help (aka cheating), 3.6 GPA means you have to have some idea of school.

I like the Brant point. How bad can he possibly of been? He might have helped us fill a spot last year when Fred The Revolving Door Miller was getting toasted play after play.

So if a guy takes really easy class & possibly cheats, you give him credit for having some idea of school? So that makes him less "stoopid." I'm confused as hell.

As for Brant, the guy was a 7th round pick. You hope they make the roster but you really don't expect it. Either way, it's extremely unlikely that any 7th round rookie would immediatley be better then John St. Clair.

Frankly, I have often asked in the past whether the problem is in our scouting, decisions on draft day, or our staff's ability to develop that talent. While there are some players I give Angelo a pass on because I think it is a problem w/ the staff (see Olsen), others I am not so quick to blame the staff, see Wolfe.

The 2006 we developed about as well as we could . . . at least until we thought it'd be a bright idea to start Mark Anderson. Although that did light a fire under Alex Brown's ass. It's amazing what a little competition will do.

As for the draft philosophy, it really seemed to me that that 2006 was all about, "Get the best talent" reguardless of their background.

The 2007 draft seemed to focus more on "character guys" and "over-acheivers." These are actually the types of players you want filling out the back of your roster & special teams guys. Could Angelo have been arrogant enough with his current team not to go talent first?

As for the draft philosophy, it really seemed to me that that 2006 was all about, "Get the best talent" reguardless of their background.

Was 2006 about best talent available? I thought even you said it appeared we were more need focused. S was a top need, as we took D.Manning. While we traded down, many felt it was a reach. Hester was an elite talent, but a returner was considered a top need. DT could be argued either way. DT did appear to be a need for the staff, but Dusty may have also been viewed as a best available. But then we took a LB, which was considered a top need. Was he the best available.

IMHO, 2006 was all about drafting for need. We may have been taking the best talent available at those position, but I think we were far more focused on needs and positions in 2006, rather than simply going after best talent available regardless of need/position.

As for 2007, I really still today do not understand the philosophy. The only thing I can come up w/ is the idea that we felt we were set, and were looking for developmental players w/ higher upside that might need time to develop.