The Flacco Love

jason

Id be weary of a guy who comes from a smaller school and only came on in popularity at the end of the season. Thats a huge gamble if a team takes him real early.

Can you say Jay Cutler??? Granted he isn't a top gun but certainly is showing his potential and poise. And he was pretty much the #1 guy by the end of his 1st year. Cutler was virtually an unknown until the Combine and all of a sudden he is a can't miss. I would prefer a guy that continues to grow, through the Combine, than a guy who was "a flash in pan" in college; see Chris Weinke, Andre Ware, Gino Torreta, Danny Weurffel and Jason White to name a few. Who were these guys? All QB's that have won the Heismann over the last 20 years or so.

The point is, someone like Flacco is a great development player (especially a #3 QB in Chicago) and has a great frame to build on. 6'6" and 230 stands great in the pocket. The Bears would be lucky to get him in the 2nd round....and I for one hope they do whatever they can to get him.

1993e6u9.jpg

Can you say Jay Cutler??? Granted he isn't a top gun but certainly is showing his potential and poise. And he was pretty much the #1 guy by the end of his 1st year. Cutler was virtually an unknown until the Combine and all of a sudden he is a can't miss. I would prefer a guy that continues to grow, through the Combine, than a guy who was "a flash in pan" in college; see Chris Weinke, Andre Ware, Gino Torreta, Danny Weurffel and Jason White to name a few. Who were these guys? All QB's that have won the Heismann over the last 20 years or so.

The point is, someone like Flacco is a great development player (especially a #3 QB in Chicago) and has a great frame to build on. 6'6" and 230 stands great in the pocket. The Bears would be lucky to get him in the 2nd round....and I for one hope they do whatever they can to get him.

1993e6u9.jpg

The only difference (well maybe there are more) is that Cutler played in the best conference in the NCAA, the SEC.

1993e6u9.jpg

Cutler wasn't an unknown before the combine. Here's one mock from before the combine that has him going in the middle of the first round --

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2006/pl...fl_february.php

-- which is about where he ended up. And not one of those guys you list was ever considered a strong prospect. Noone's comparing Flacco to Troy Smith, it's more a question of Flacco vs Henne, or Flacco vs wait a year.

So, maybe the "one month" thing was a bit off...but you are debating semantics at this point. I think it was clear what I was getting at.

He was a guy thought of as a 4th, maybe 3rd, and now everyone is putting him in late 1st or early 2nd. That spells danger, especially for a guy with Delaware on his resume (not to mention the fact that his highlight films show him constantly throwing behind the WRs).

Agreed. The most terrifying part is, if you draft a QB in round one and maybe even round 2, you're going to have to find out what that guy can do on the field, no matter how bad they suck (see Benson, Cedric). If that's the case, you can count on possibly having the #1 draft pick, and you don't want to take a QB cause the guy you already have sucks.

I'd be happy as hell rolling the dice with the best QB available in round 3. Hell, Andre Woodsen could drop there. I'm not a big Woodsen fan, but it's amazing that a month ago several mocks had us taking him.

Draft a QB in round 3 and it's ok to make him a back-up. Any earlier and the expectations are too damn high. I'm not ready to go into rebuilding mode yet.