ESPN INsiders FA O-linemen

bradjock

I don't think we'll target Faneca. It's tough to justify paying him that much more then we'll pay Olin Kreutz. If we go for a quality starter at a normal price, I think we'll look to sign either Rex Hadnot of Miami, Jake Scott of Indianapolis, Jacob Bell of Tennessee, Justin Smiley of San Francisco, Floyd Womack of Seattle, Jamar Nesbit of New Orleans, or Damien Woody of Detroit.

Free-agent C, OG and OT classes are deep in '08

By Scouts Inc.

(Archive)

Updated: February 20, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

The free-agent market opens Feb. 29. Scouts Inc. will give an overview of the upcoming class, position by position. This year's free-agent offensive linemen class is especially deep.

Centers

[+] EnlargeOtto Greule Jr/Getty Images

Jeff Faine is in a class by himself in this group of free agent centers.

The center position is very strong this year with several starters qualifying for unrestricted free agency as well as a few backups who have the potential to start for the right team. Plus, three teams have two centers who are unrestricted free agents: New Orleans with Jeff Faine and Jonathan Goodwin, Tampa Bay with John Wade and Matt Lehr and St. Louis with Andy McCollum and Brett Romberg.

The free-agent center class is led by fifth-year veteran Faine from New Orleans. He is a top competitor, a good athlete and very smart. He is not quite as big as you'd like but compensates with a natural sense of leverage and really excels when he is surrounded by two large guards. After Faine, there are seven second-level centers who can definitely help a team get to the next level. They include Wade, McCollum, Lehr, Romberg, Chris Myers from Denver, Mike Pucillo from Washington and Casey Wiegmann from Kansas City.

Free-agent Cs in '08 Name Team Status

Lennie Friedman Browns UFA

Jonathan Goodwin Saints UFA

Rex Hadnot Dolphins UFA

Andy McCollum Rams UFA

Seth McKinney Browns UFA

Jeremy Newberry Raiders UFA

Mike Pucillo Redskins UFA

Brett Romberg Rams UFA

Wade Smith Jets UFA

Alex Stepanovich Bengals UFA

Ross Tucker Redskins UFA

Tyson Walter Packers UFA

Jason Whittle Bills UFA

Casey Wiegmann Chiefs UFA

Dylan Gandy Colts RFA

Geoff Hangartner Panthers RFA

Scott Jackson Texans RFA

Chris Myers Broncos RFA

Jeff Faine Saints V-UFA

John Wade Buccaneers V-UFA

V: Player can void his contract and become a free agent. Wade is not a top athlete for the position, but he's very smart and understands blocking schemes and angles. Romberg was a part-time starter in St. Louis and has the ability to play other positions on the offensive line as well. Like Wade, he's also very smart and understands angles and leverage.

Lehr and Pucillo were basically backup centers in 2007 but appear ready to step up to a starter's role, while McCollum has been playing at a very high level for many years but appears to be on the decline. Like McCollum, Wiegmann is getting long in the tooth, yet continues to play at a high level. Both McCollum and Wiegmann have lost some flexibility and agility but make up for the loss in athleticism with an understanding of leverage and angles. Because center is a position that puts such a high priority on intelligence, due to the need to be able to make the line calls, experience tends to count for a lot. Teams like St. Louis, Tampa Bay and New Orleans that have two centers who are unrestricted free agents will have to make difficult decisions. We expect they will keep one but not both.

Guards

The guard position is headed up by perennial all-pro Alan Faneca from Pittsburgh. He should command the same kind of attention Steve Hutchinson garnered when he left Seattle for Minnesota a couple of years ago. Faneca is in the prime of his career and brings not only his playing skill, which is pretty much unmatched in this year's free-agent crop, but tremendous leadership in the locker room and a temperament that can be contagious.

While Faneca is in a class by himself, there are several other guards in the next level who can step in for a team looking for a quality starter and raise the bar for that offensive line. These guards include Rex Hadnot of Miami, Jake Scott of Indianapolis, Jacob Bell of Tennessee, Justin Smiley of San Francisco, Floyd Womack of Seattle, Jamar Nesbit of New Orleans, Damien Woody of Detroit, Ruben Brown of Chicago and Larry Allen of San Francisco.

Free-agent OGs in '08 Name Team Status

Larry Allen Cowboys UFA

Milford Brown Rams UFA

Ruben Brown Rams UFA

Rick DeMulling Redskins UFA

Alan Faneca Steelers UFA

Adam Goldberg Rams UFA

Matt Lehr Buccaneers UFA

Chris Liwienski Dolphins UFA

Gene Mruczkowski Dolphins UFA

Jamar Nesbit Saints UFA

Jake Scott Colts UFA

Justin Smiley 49ers UFA

Keydrick Vincent Cardinals RFA

Fred Weary Texans UFA

Floyd Womack Seahawks UFA

Joe Berger Cowboys RFA

Elton Brown Cardinals RFA

Jason Brown Ravens RFA

Chris Kemoeatu Steelers RFA

Evan Mathis Panthers RFA

Stephen Peterman Lions RFA

Allen is not apt to go anywhere and he may retire. If he doesn't, he has already expressed his desire to stay in the Bay Area. Brown is getting on in years, but brings a lot of intangibles and still has enough quickness and agility to be effective.

Womack, Woody, Nesbit and Hadnot all have skills, but their position versatility would tend to give them more value as free agents. Womack has played both guard and tackle and is powerful, but tends to have mental lapses. Hadnot has played both center and guard and also brings a strong base with power, but has the edge because he is a little further along when it comes to understanding angles and blocking schemes. Woody has played center, guard and tackle. He even played left tackle for Detroit in 2007 and is probably the least athletic of the above three and can get overweight at times, but he can be an extremely powerful blocker when he is on. Nesbit has also played all three positions on the offensive line. He can also carry too much weight at times and is not a great athlete, but he's extremely powerful and can lock on to opponents once he gets his hands on them.

Scott, Smiley and Bell are all somewhat similar because they are still relatively young (26), and are all on the rise when it comes to their techniques and learning the tricks of the trade. They are all athletic and play with good leverage, effort and intensity. Scott is probably the most athletic of the three but plays a little light and lacks the kind of power the others bring. Bell is also athletic but plays a bit stronger than Scott and is extremely competitive. Smiley plays the strongest of the three and runs a close third when it comes to athleticism. This trio of guards are apt to command a lot of interest in free agency. Any team that lands one of these players would be getting them as they reach their prime. As a result, a team could build its line around one of them or make them the final piece of the puzzle.

Three more guards who come close to playing at the same level as the second tier are Lennie Friedman and Seth McKinney of Cleveland and Ryan Lilja of Indianapolis. These guys are all starters and are in their prime. They can go to a team that thinks it is one player away from having a complete offensive line.

There are also two restricted free agents who could garner some attention but are not as apt to change teams. They include Jason Brown of Baltimore and Evan Mathis from Carolina.

As a whole, this is a very good group of guards and there should be quite a few of them, as well as some of the guys not mentioned, who draw interest and will end up with new teams and bigger contracts.

Tackles

Flozell Adams is the only top-level tackle in this class and the Cowboys are not going to want to lose him. He is considered one of the top left tackles in the NFL, especially when it comes to pass blocking. He is massive and can absolutely lock on to rushers once he gets his hands on them. He has very long arms and his length makes it very difficult for opponents to get by him.

Free-agent OTs in '08 Name Team Status

Flozell Adams Cowboys UFA

Jacob Bell Titans UFA

Nat Dorsey Browns UFA

Jason Fabini Redskins UFA

Brandon Gorin Rams UFA

Cornell Green Raiders UFA

Stockar McDougle Jaguars UFA

Mike Rosenthal Dolphins UFA

Max Starks Steelers UFA

Todd Steussie Rams UFA

Barry Stokes Lions UFA

Kyle Turley Chiefs UFA

Maurice Williams Jaguars UFA

Trai Essex Steelers RFA

Cory Lekkerkerker Dolphins RFA

Daniel Loper Titans RFA

David Stewart Titans RFA

Will Svitek Kansas City RFA

Kwame Harris 49ers V-UFA

Chad Slaughter Rams V-UFA

At the next level there is Max Starks from Pittsburgh and Maurice Williams of Jacksonville. Williams has been a quality starter at right tackle but lost the starting job to Tony Pashos this fall. However, he did start at guard when Chris Naeole got injured, so he has position versatility going for him. Williams is an adequate athlete for a tackle with good knee bend and body control. He could show more tenacity and work harder to finish off blocks more consistently. A change of scenery could be beneficial.

Starks is another previous starter who slumped in 2006 and has not been able to regain the starting position. He is massive and can dominate strengthwise, but needs to be more consistent and rely more on his techniques and less on his raw physical tools.

David Stewart of Tennessee is the lone restricted free agent who belongs in the second tier of linemen and will probably draw the most interest, thanks to his youth and potential. He is massive, and plays with a lot of functional strength and good leverage. He can lock onto opponents with his strong hands and dominate. The Titans are apt to do everything they can to retain him.

As a whole, the tackle position has strength at the top, but the second-tier tackles all have questions about them and the depth there this year does not match the depth of previous years.

I think the Bears plan on targeting a FA WR (or via trade), plus drafting a WR on day one with Hester and Bradley getting significant time. In terms of the oline, I'm thinking we will see a day one pick on the line (1st round or 2nd) plus a signing (and I don't think it will be a Faneca type, rather just a solid, younger guard that will be above average, maybe not a pro-bowler but with solid guys around it will be good enough to have a pretty damn solid line).

I think the Bears plan on targeting a FA WR (or via trade), plus drafting a WR on day one with Hester and Bradley getting significant time. In terms of the oline, I'm thinking we will see a day one pick on the line (1st round or 2nd) plus a signing (and I don't think it will be a Faneca type, rather just a solid, younger guard that will be above average, maybe not a pro-bowler but with solid guys around it will be good enough to have a pretty damn solid line).

Although I don't hate Benson and I don't think he sucks like many do, I think that if we could sign a guy like Jacob Bell, and a decent G, Mendenhall wouldn't be a bad selection with our 1st pick, and then Schuening or Albert (although he won't fall to us in round 2) with our 2nd. Also, if we draft Mendenhall, I'd like to see us trade Benson.

Here's my mock, and I'm doing this with a prediction we trade Benson for a 3rd.

1. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

2. Carl Nicks, T, Nebraska

3. Roy Schuening, G, Oregon State

3. Quinten Demps, S, UTEP

3. Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame

4. Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida

5. Andre Dizon, LB, Colorado

6. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

7. Ryan Grice-Mullens, WR, Hawaii

Although I don't hate Benson and I don't think he sucks like many do, I think that if we could sign a guy like Jacob Bell, and a decent G, Mendenhall wouldn't be a bad selection with our 1st pick, and then Schuening or Albert (although he won't fall to us in round 2) with our 2nd.

I heard on the radio Mendenhall had a great workout and ran a 4.4 at the combine. That will help his stock.

Being an Illini fan I'd love to see us get Mendenhall, but I just cringe at the idea of adding another rookie running-back.

i can't imgaine anyone willing to trade for benson with the RB stock this year. You could get a potential starter in the 3rd round or trade for Benson, a high priced RB without a 1000 yard season or a season without some sort of injury. maybe matt millen would be dumb enough to make that trade

I'd give him Benson and a 4th for Roy Williams.

It would be completely idiotic to focus on RB over OLine, QB, DLine, WR, S, and perhaps even LB. And for all we know, with a better OLine and passing game, Benson might not be so terrible.

I agree, but when does JA actually go with our biggest need? He went S when we needed CB in 2006, then KR/PR instead of CB (yes, Hester was a CB, I know, but we drafted him intending for him to be a KR/PR). You and I are the only ones who think that about Benson, but I'm just sayin', Nicks and Schuening might be equal to Otah and Rachel, as Otah is better then Nicks (as of now) but Schuening is better then Rachel (as of now).

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but maybe his helmet is too tight. It makes him look like he's very uncomfortable, and not to mention, the perspiration always evaporates on the inside of his visor and makes it foggy with water droplets everywhere. Maybe it's time to lose the tight helmet and/or the visor...

i can't imgaine anyone willing to trade for benson with the RB stock this year. You could get a potential starter in the 3rd round or trade for Benson, a high priced RB without a 1000 yard season or a season without some sort of injury. maybe matt millen would be dumb enough to make that trade

Millen trading a talent like Williams to a team in the same division would seem like a fireable offense but in Detroit it might get him an extension.

Mendenhall wouldn't be a bad selection with our 1st pick[/quote

I really like Mendenhall and would love the pick any other year. But, the OL needs fixed or NOTHING else will come together. The top rated tackles won't last until the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind a scenario that had us trade down a few spots and still get our guy, but definately not wait.