Room for another Hester?

Controlled Chaos

I know I'm probably the only one, but I figured I'd throw it out there. I think Jacob Hester would look great in Bears uni. I'm hoping the Bears take a flyer on him on Day 2. A solid blocker and receiver. He has the kind of versatility that will force the defense to make the FB be accounted for. He's great on specials teams. What he lacks in size he more than makes up for in work ethic, technique and heart. Things that are way too often overlooked by all the statheads out there.

McKie is pretty underwhelming. I mean whenever his hands touch the ball the collective thought from every Bears fan is usually...WTF?? Hester has the chance to make a game altering play, while giving you the tough as nails consistency the FB position demands.

I also think it's time to cut our losses with Wolfe. I know some here have an infatuation with him, but how can we have a 3rd down back that can't block a lb or a lineman that breaks free. Hell, Wolfe has trouble not getting run over by a safety. The dude has really overcome a lot and from all I know about him, is a pretty great guy, but 3rd down's are passing downs a good % of the time . We can't just give him the ball every time he gets in like last year. Is there really room on the roster for a specialty back like this...Not an every down back, not a 3rd down back, just a once in a while when the flow of the game dictates back??? I don't see it.

3rd downs would be a perfect spot for a guy like Hester to be in the game. He has the versatility to be a part of whatever play you want to run in that situation.

ok...let the flaming begin.

I won't flame you, because I like Hester a lot; hell, the kid is rugged, and seems to run over someone every time he gets the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing him get selected late and taking the spot of one of the current FBs.

On the other hand, I think you are way off on Wolfe. I still don't get where the hate comes from. This guy, when given the chance last year, was better than Benson or Peterson. Wolfe came in and made things happen. Aside from Devin Hester, and at times Bernard Berrian, Wolfe was the only player in on offense that actually had the potential for a big play within the Bears' offense. He made several people miss, and even cranked out a few great plays in limited action.

We'll compromise:

Keep Wolfe, Draft Hester, Dump a FB (I don't care which one)

Jacob Hester would love to play here. As i would love him to do.

As he prepares to enter the NFL Draft, LSU running back Jacob Hester feels a bond with his namesake on the Bears. “People always mess with me and say, ‘Man, your cousin did good today,’” Hester said at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. “I actually got a chance to meet [Devin Hester] at the NFL Players party during Super Bowl week. I told him that joke and he thought it was pretty funny.”

The two Hesters played against each other in the 2005 Peach Bowl with Jacob’s LSU Tigers hammering Devin’s Miami Hurricanes 40-3. Jacob rushed for 70 yards and 1 TD on 13 carries, while Devin ran for 24 yards on seven attempts and had two receptions for 40 yards.

The Hesters had arranged to exchange jerseys after the game, but a nasty brawl between the teams that had to be broken up by the Georgia State police prevented them from doing so.

A few years later, Jacob would love to join Devin on the Bears.

“That would be awesome,” he said. “I love the cold weather and that’s something I’d love to play in, especially on a team with that much tradition.”

I agree 100%. Keep Wolfe and get Hester. We need a kick-butt FB.

I won't flame you, because I like Hester a lot; hell, the kid is rugged, and seems to run over someone every time he gets the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing him get selected late and taking the spot of one of the current FBs.

On the other hand, I think you are way off on Wolfe. I still don't get where the hate comes from. This guy, when given the chance last year, was better than Benson or Peterson. Wolfe came in and made things happen. Aside from Devin Hester, and at times Bernard Berrian, Wolfe was the only player in on offense that actually had the potential for a big play within the Bears' offense. He made several people miss, and even cranked out a few great plays in limited action.

We'll compromise:

Keep Wolfe, Draft Hester, Dump a FB (I don't care which one)

We've had a problem with our FB for a while now.

It part of our woes in the running game, and the staff has known it for a while.

Three years ago, they brought in Bryan Johnson from the Redskins to supplant McKie, but he got injured. last year they drafted Runnels, and he got injured. They tried Ayanbadejo too. They've tried Gilmore at FB, and even talked about using Benson that way in a two back set with TJ.

They have tried all kinds of ways to move on from McKie, they've just been incredibly unlucky.

Aging OL and a bad FB makes for poor running.

Look at Walter Payton and his OL and Matt Suhey.

Or Emmitt Smith behind those road graders AND Moose Johnson.

The fact is, FB is one of the real sleeper reasons why our running game has been stalled. I hope Runnels comes back with a fury this year.

A lot of people with Devin Hester jerseys would be awfully pissed b/c they'd have to put a D on Devin's game jersey if they took Jacob. :lol:

I like the guy, but I'd only take him in the 6th or 7th.

I think Devin would stay the same and Jacob would add a J. Anyway I hope we have to find out the answer.

We've had a problem with our FB for a while now.

It part of our woes in the running game, and the staff has known it for a while.

The fact is, FB is one of the real sleeper reasons why our running game has been stalled. I hope Runnels comes back with a fury this year.

Huh??? Jason McKie might has started every game for the past two seasons. More importantly, you think our run-game sucks partly because of McKie??? If that's the case, why didn't our run-game suck in 2006?

I think you're saying that we need a big smash-mouth FB for running situations. A lot of times we use John Gilmore for that, which is why I'm hoping we resign him.

Ron Turner loves the more "finesse" type fullbacks who can catch the ball. You mention Runnels, but the knock on him is that he's a good receiver, but a terrible blocker. Either way he's not going to fix the problem.

Considering we just resigned Dez Clark, we're going to see a lot more two TE sets and a lot less of Jason McKie or any fullback.

I'd be happy if we picked up Hester on the second day. I like the way he runs and (from what I've read) he blocks well too. I think he'd block as well as McKie but his versatility out of the backfield is what could really change things for us. I think he'd also be good enough to fill in as the RB if injuries depleted the roster. Of course, that's only if the Oline gets upgraded. I'd still keep Wolfe and get rid of Runnels or McKie.