WR market will be ugly

nfoligno

PFT is reporting that Andre Davis was just re-signed to a 4yr/$16m deal w/ an $8m bonus. Yes, that is right. $8m bonus. Same amount we offered Berrian. Yea, I know we offered Berrian more money overall, but if Andre Davis is going to get $8m, what the heck will a good WR get.

I fear the combination of a huge salary cap jump (meaning many teams w/ huge cap dollars to spend) combined w/ a very weak crop of FA WRs, will lead to very mediocre WRs getting paid big bucks and good WRs getting ridiculous money.

More than ever, I think this deals sells me that we need to sign short term solutions at WR. After that, we can (a) see if Hester/Bradley/Hass can develop (B) see what we can find and develop through the draft © look to next year for a better market.

The last thing I want to do is over-spend big time, upgrading minimal now, while weighing down the team for years to come. Thus,

David Patten is now a target for me. Yes, that is right. Old man Patten. He had around 50 catches for 800 yards last year, which would make him one of our best WRs last year. He is not going to be expensive, and we should be able to get him for cheap, and on a short term deal. he can still get downfield, and is more reliable than many/most alternatives. I am not pretending he is great, but we can not enter the season w/ Bradley and Hester as our starters, and Patten would offer a short term upgrade w/o hurting us in the future.

In addition to Patten, I would still be looking to add Booker or Bryant Johnson. We do not have that possession WR on the roster (sorry, but I am not willing to rely on Hass). Adding either would allow us an intermediate to short range receiver who can keep the chains moving while others go for the throat downfield.

Further, adding two of the above three would allow Hester and Bradley to continue their development w/o the intenst pressure of starting and w/o our QBs relying too heavily on them.

Okay, blast away. Yes, I said we should sign Patten. But signing Patten on the cheap is a hell of a lot better than giving Andre freaking Davis the same amount of guaranteed money we offered Berrian. This is going to be an ugly year for FA WRs. It's be like watching junk stock bought as if it were APPLE stock. Take a pass on big money WRs this year, get short term solutions for cheap, and look to do more in the future.

PFT is reporting that Andre Davis was just re-signed to a 4yr/$16m deal w/ an $8m bonus. Yes, that is right. $8m bonus. Same amount we offered Berrian. Yea, I know we offered Berrian more money overall, but if Andre Davis is going to get $8m, what the heck will a good WR get.

I fear the combination of a huge salary cap jump (meaning many teams w/ huge cap dollars to spend) combined w/ a very weak crop of FA WRs, will lead to very mediocre WRs getting paid big bucks and good WRs getting ridiculous money.

More than ever, I think this deals sells me that we need to sign short term solutions at WR. After that, we can (a) see if Hester/Bradley/Hass can develop (B) see what we can find and develop through the draft © look to next year for a better market.

The last thing I want to do is over-spend big time, upgrading minimal now, while weighing down the team for years to come. Thus,

David Patten is now a target for me. Yes, that is right. Old man Patten. He had around 50 catches for 800 yards last year, which would make him one of our best WRs last year. He is not going to be expensive, and we should be able to get him for cheap, and on a short term deal. he can still get downfield, and is more reliable than many/most alternatives. I am not pretending he is great, but we can not enter the season w/ Bradley and Hester as our starters, and Patten would offer a short term upgrade w/o hurting us in the future.

In addition to Patten, I would still be looking to add Booker or Bryant Johnson. We do not have that possession WR on the roster (sorry, but I am not willing to rely on Hass). Adding either would allow us an intermediate to short range receiver who can keep the chains moving while others go for the throat downfield.

Further, adding two of the above three would allow Hester and Bradley to continue their development w/o the intenst pressure of starting and w/o our QBs relying too heavily on them.

Okay, blast away. Yes, I said we should sign Patten. But signing Patten on the cheap is a hell of a lot better than giving Andre freaking Davis the same amount of guaranteed money we offered Berrian. This is going to be an ugly year for FA WRs. It's be like watching junk stock bought as if it were APPLE stock. Take a pass on big money WRs this year, get short term solutions for cheap, and look to do more in the future.

I'll go ahead and agree. I sure as hell do not want to invest big dollars and years in a mediocre talent. Lets take a look at a Booker, Bruce, Patten type of vet and live with Hester, Bradley, Clark and Olsen as the pass receiving threats as well as Wolfe on the screens.

Patten - no. Booker - yes.

Peace :bears

I'll go ahead and agree. I sure as hell do not want to invest big dollars and years in a mediocre talent. Lets take a look at a Booker, Bruce, Patten type of vet and live with Hester, Bradley, Clark and Olsen as the pass receiving threats as well as Wolfe on the screens.

I also have Patten as a target. Why not? He's a vet, should cost less, and still is productive.

I have a feeling, Berrian will sign elsewhere and Hester could easily fill his role for the deep man. I'm not saying Hester will immediately become a #1 in the league, but he will be on plenty of espn highlights catching the hail mary's. Those deep plays is what gave Berrian a name 2 years ago and also made Grossman look like the Good Rex.

I also hope we show plenty of interest in Bryant Johnson and Marty Booker. It would be nice to see Book be able to retire here and Johnson could become a true #1 if given the chance.

I'm sold. No reason to blast logic.

I'd also consider Bruce now that the Rams dumped him.

I totally agree. Right now with the cash available we can probably sign two good WR that will help us more than Berrian alone. Then draft one more. I think we tendered Davis as a stopgap in case everything falls apart on us but he doesn't offer much as a slot WR. I don't want him back and hope we find another option. Keep Hester and Bradley sign two FA WR, one a good second tier guy, one a third tier depth player with experience to compete with Hass. Draft another WR in the 3rd round.

It's a lot of turnover at the WR spot but given what we had last year those numbers (and drops) aren't a difficult thing to replace. ON top of that I think Olsen will really shine this year and become our go to guy.

I totally agree. Right now with the cash available we can probably sign two good WR that will help us more than Berrian alone. Then draft one more. I think we tendered Davis as a stopgap in case everything falls apart on us but he doesn't offer much as a slot WR. I don't want him back and hope we find another option. Keep Hester and Bradley sign two FA WR, one a good second tier guy, one a third tier depth player with experience to compete with Hass. Draft another WR in the 3rd round.

It's a lot of turnover at the WR spot but given what we had last year those numbers (and drops) aren't a difficult thing to replace. ON top of that I think Olsen will really shine this year and become our go to guy.

Givens got released as well. I wanted him a couple of years ago.