Trade Tommie?

chwtom

I'm sure this will not come as a popular suggestion, but should the Bears consider trading Tommie Harris?

The current club is not built to win now. We are missing a starting caliber QB, RB, 2 WRs, OG, RT, DT, and saftety (or two). Add to that our LT is getting up in years and losing effectiveness, we have major and numerous holes to fill.

Particulary after the crazy contract Tommy Kelly got from the Raiders, Tommie Harris is going to look to make history with his next contract. He will want to eclipse what Freeney got, probably seeking to average 10-13 mil per year. Can we afford to tie up ~10% of the salary cap in one player when we have SO many holes to fill?

In this league, teams can turn around quickly. I recall thinking prior to this last season that the Packers, especially after last year's draft, were going to be bad for quite awhile. But they righted the ship, and their young guys performed well. But I think the Bears problems run deeper than the Packers did.

If we could get 2 first round picks, or a first and a second, for Harris, would you do it? What if Oakland was that team? We could draft Long with their first to be our LT, Mendenhall with our first to be our RB, Flacco,Brohm, etc with their second to be our QB, and a WR in the second. Harris is a premiere DT without question, but perhaps that is an unneccessary luxury on a team without talent around him. Angelo is a high floor guy, maybe he'd rather build up the floor of the team at the expense of one of his high-talent guys.

Just food for thought.

I'm sure this will not come as a popular suggestion, but should the Bears consider trading Tommie Harris?

The current club is not built to win now. We are missing a starting caliber QB, RB, 2 WRs, OG, RT, DT, and saftety (or two). Add to that our LT is getting up in years and losing effectiveness, we have major and numerous holes to fill.

Particulary after the crazy contract Tommy Kelly got from the Raiders, Tommie Harris is going to look to make history with his next contract. He will want to eclipse what Freeney got, probably seeking to average 10-13 mil per year. Can we afford to tie up ~10% of the salary cap in one player when we have SO many holes to fill?

In this league, teams can turn around quickly. I recall thinking prior to this last season that the Packers, especially after last year's draft, were going to be bad for quite awhile. But they righted the ship, and their young guys performed well. But I think the Bears problems run deeper than the Packers did.

If we could get 2 first round picks, or a first and a second, for Harris, would you do it? What if Oakland was that team? We could draft Long with their first to be our LT, Mendenhall with our first to be our RB, Flacco,Brohm, etc with their second to be our QB, and a WR in the second. Harris is a premiere DT without question, but perhaps that is an unneccessary luxury on a team without talent around him. Angelo is a high floor guy, maybe he'd rather build up the floor of the team at the expense of one of his high-talent guys.

Just food for thought.

No. We need strength on the d line. If we cannot sign him he will be tagged - guarenteed.

Peace :bears

I dont know, the DL was pretty thin last year after all of the injuries, I dont think trading away your best player is a good idea

I doubt some team would be willing to deal 2 #1 picks, but that would be worth exploring

Tommie is the Best Defensive Player on our team. He may not get a Freeny contract but he should definitely get a huge contract cuz he deserves it. Tommie is a top three DT a playmaker and a superstar, last year he played on one leg and still had 7 sacks when he gets fully healthy imagine. Mike Brown commands the secondary Urlacher controls the middle but when Tommie is going at full capacity he takes over(Seattle 2006, San Diego 2007) he makes the plays, and you dont see anybody else but him and I think they need to extend him now because the numbers are going to keep getting higher.

Tommie is the Best Defensive Player on our team. He may not get a Freeny contract but he should definitely get a huge contract cuz he deserves it. Tommie is a top three DT a playmaker and a superstar, last year he played on one leg and still had 7 sacks when he gets fully healthy imagine. Mike Brown commands the secondary Urlacher controls the middle but when Tommie is going at full capacity he takes over(Seattle 2006, San Diego 2007) he makes the plays, and you dont see anybody else but him and I think they need to extend him now because the numbers are going to keep getting higher.

Agreed

Just food for thought.

How about Brady Quinn, plus a 2nd rounder?

Anyway, that's one I wouldn't mind. I do feel we are not that far away. Cream me for being for saying this, but I want Randy Moss now. He's matured a little and played on a team that teaches team first. If he could be convinced we are a top flight WR away, he might be had. I'm not sure our window is closed and actually think it may be better than NE's at this point. He'll be expensive as hell, but think he brings 2X the fear Berrian did. It'd leave a lot of room for our skill players after Moss clears out 2 on every snap.

Also, sign Jacob Bell and pray Brownie can stay healthy for a season! More later...

Just food for thought.

If I was going to trade Tommie, I would also trade Urlacher. There is no sense in giving Urlacher tons of money when we can't compete. If we trade Tommie, we are basically saying that it's time to rebulid. If we are going to rebuild, don't be half assed about it...REBUILD!

Trade both Urlacher and Tommie, get an entire team of draft picks because you know we can get more than a first rounder for each and then parlay those into 2nd and 3rd rd picks galore. THAT, is how you rebuild. It's also how you go from being 7-9 to 5-11 but hey, if ya can't win it all, why play?

Angelo is a build-from-the-line-out guy. From that perspective, a great rb or wr is much more of a luxury than a great dt.

I don't think it's totally crazy, but the only way it could happen, imo, is if (say) we somehow managed to land Sedrick Ellis at 14 (not gonna happen -- but then, we weren't going to land Harris at 14, either) and he shows similar dominance this upcoming year. Then next offseason you could think about a trade. But JA is not going to be satisfied without an elite dt, no matter what else he gets in return.