The Jerry Angelo Mock Draft (Long)

dawhizz

We all clearly have our idea of what we would like the Bears to do in the draft. But, unfortunaely, the Bears rarely do what we want them to, particularly in the draft. So, putting aside maybe how I WANT the draft to go, I thought I'd give a concerted effort to figure out how Jerry Angelo would want the draft to go. Here's what I came up with (get ready to hear the word "character" a lot):

1) Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt - Offensive tackle is probably the clearest need for the team, and the value in this draft is at OT. The fact that they let Ruben Brown and Fred Miller go without trying to sign replacements suggests to me they are depending on the draft for their long-term replacements. The choice would be between Williams and Otah. I think the preference would be to draft someone who can step in at LT and move Tait to RT, and Williams is the more ready to do that, by all accounts. Plus he was team captain and scored better than Otah on the Wonderlic (31 to 16), so he passes Jerry's character test. RB is the other position where there's value, but I can't see Jerry admitting defeat regarding Cedric Benson this soon.

2) Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State - Suprised? Like you were with Mark Bradley? And Dan Bazuin? And Charles Tillman? I could go on, but suffice to say the Bears generally cause eyebrows to raise in the second round. The Bears obviously need WR help, but with such a deep class, why would they take Nelson? Well, he's probably one of the top character guys in the draft, with one profile going so far as to call him "the type of person you'd want your daughter to marry." Beyond that, he's been hugely productive (122 recs, 1606 yds, 11 TDs last year) with good measurables from a conference Angelo has drafted a lot of offensive players from (Benson, Bradley, Runnells, Gage). He's also had great games against top CBs, including Aqib Talib (to the tune of 10/137/1). He's also a former safety who will play solid special teams. Why would you draft a receiver in the second round to play special teams? Ask Jerry Angelo, I'm sure he can explain it to you.

3a) Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State - I think Angelo will want to put some new talent into the offensive line to give Benson as much opportunity to succeed as possible (without, you know, actually spending money in FA), particularly since it sure seems like they don't trust Josh Beekman yet. Schuening is one of the top run-blocking guards in the draft who offers the versatility the Bears usually look for (he can even play RT in a pinch) and was Academic All Pac-10 the last two years (yep, that means high character).

3b) Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon - I don't know that I've seen anyone predict this, but I think it makes Angelo-sense. Right now there's very little excitement around the QB position (dread would probably be the more appropriate term). Is Chad Henne going to change that? Will Joe Flacco? Even Brian Brohm? They may be good pro QBs, but its not the kind of name that will really excite anybody or make people say, "Man, I have to check out Bears training camp to see Joe Flacco!" But Dennis Dixon? That's the kind of addition that makes even people who just barely follow college football take notice. Dixon is certainly a gamble after he ended the season with a torn ACL, but he brings something at QB the Bears clearly don't have with his athleticism who was a winner in college (as were Grossman, Orton, Krenzel) who was also very efficient when he was healthy (67% completion, 20 TDs, 4 ints). The Bears have not hesitated to draft someone with an injury (Corey Graham, Airese Currie) or just put someone on IR for a year if necessary. Angelo will need to be convinced Dixon won't pursue baseball first, but if he gets that kind of committment from Dixon, its the kind of guy who can, at least theoretically, energize a fan base (and buy himself some time at GM . . . ).

4) Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma - Jerry likes Oklahoma (Harris, Dvoracek, Runnells, Bradley). Jerry likes mid-round guys who have special teams value (Patrick covered kicks at OU). Jerry wants competition for Benson without causing any big controversey that would hurt Benson's ego (Patrick happily shared carries with Adrian Peterson and DeMarco Murray without causing any big stir about playing time). Patrick can do just enough of everything to contribute and push for carries.

5) Cornelius "Pig" Brown, S, Missouri - Another example of the Bears taking a chance on a guy who suffered an injury. In an incredibly weak safety class, it's hard to find any bargains at all. But Brown was well on his was to a great year before tearing his Achilles tendon. Through 8 games, he had 70 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, and three INTs. You average those out for 12 games, you have a year of 105 tackles, 12 tfl, and 4 ints, which would be one of the better ones in the draft. Seems like the kind of second day safety Angelo would like. Plus his name is Pig. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

6) Pierre Garcon, WR, Mount Union - It simply wouldn't be an Angelo draft without a small school guy with huge production against marginal competition (Dan Bazuin, Garrett Wolfe, Adrian Peterson, Daniel Manning, Brock Forsey, etc). That way if they happen to work out, he looks really smart. Garcon reportedly impressed at the combine with his all-around skill set. He showed off his athleticism when he returned a punt for a TD in the Texas v. Nation game, and the Bears like guys who impress in postseason games (Michael Haynes, Mark Anderson).

7) Someone who won't ever do anything - Seventh round picks under Jerry Angelo: John Capel (released after missing the rookie symposium and never receiving the contract offer he felt he "deserved"), Bryan Anderson (active for 4 games in 1994), Alfonso Marshall (had 7 tackles in 2004, carted off the field against the Titans, presumed dead), Rod Wilson (10 special teams tackles in 2 years), Tyler Reed (on practice squad), Aaron Brandt (quit football in training camp). I could take a guess here (which would have been Keilen Dykes, DT, West Viriginia), but history says I don't need to bother.

So, there you have it, what I think Jerry Angelo would probably like to do in the draft. It's certainly not what I would do, but I think the picks make a lot of sense given Jerry's history. What do you think?

To take Nelson in the 2nd :puke

To take Dixon in the 3rd when Booty and Ainge will still be there :puke

I'd rather have Slaton or Smith in the 4th round, so Patrick :puke

Otherwise, I like it ;) However, I don't see us going with 2 WR's. We already are stacked there with Rashied (if he's a Bear in 08), Hester, Bradley, Riddeau, Hass, Booker, and Lloyd. One WR, highly probable, but 2? Doubtful.

Here's my "JA draft":

1. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

2. Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame

3. Chilo Rachel, OG, USC

3. Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina

4. Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia

5. Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia

6. John David Booty, QB, USC

7. Jamie Silva, S, Boston College

My ideal draft, but unlikely, would be something like the following:

*Trade down with the Jaguars: Trade 14 for their 1st and 2nd picks and a future draft pick (probably something like their future 3rd). This works because the values match up and the Jags can move up and fix a glaring need at DE with one of Harvey or Merling, and we get an additional pick to help address the many needs we have*

1-26) RT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

2-13) QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

2-27) DT Trevor Laws, Notre Dame

3-12) WR Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina

3-27) OG Roy Schuening, Oregon St.

4-11) RB Cory Boyd, South Carolina

5-09) LB Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt

6-09) WR D.J. Hall, Alabama

7-08) OL Kerry Bown, Appalachian St.

7-CP) DB D.J. Wolfe, Oklahoma

My ideal draft, but unlikely, would be something like the following:

*Trade down with the Jaguars: Trade 14 for their 1st and 2nd picks and a future draft pick (probably something like their future 3rd). This works because the values match up and the Jags can move up and fix a glaring need at DE with one of Harvey or Merling, and we get an additional pick to help address the many needs we have*

1-26) RT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

2-13) QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

2-27) DT Trevor Laws, Notre Dame

3-12) WR Jerome Simpson, Coastal Carolina

3-27) OG Roy Schuening, Oregon St.

4-11) RB Cory Boyd, South Carolina

5-09) LB Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt

6-09) WR D.J. Hall, Alabama

7-08) OL Kerry Bown, Appalachian St.

7-CP) DB D.J. Wolfe, Oklahoma

Not a bad idea. However, I'd rather have this draft with that trade:

1. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

2. Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska

3. Chilo Rachal, OG, USC

3. Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers

4. Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina

6. DJ Wolfe, S, Oklahoma

7. Demetrius Bell, OT, Northwestern State

No way Jerome Simpson lasts until 4th round. Hell, we'd be lucky to see him last until our 1st 3rd round pick. He has been flying up the boards.

And screw FB, we got McKie who isn't going anywhere and we are likely gonna carry 4 RB's.

To take Nelson in the 2nd :puke

To take Dixon in the 3rd when Booty and Ainge will still be there :puke

I'd rather have Slaton or Smith in the 4th round, so Patrick :puke

Otherwise, I like it ;) However, I don't see us going with 2 WR's. We already are stacked there with Rashied (if he's a Bear in 08), Hester, Bradley, Riddeau, Hass, Booker, and Lloyd. One WR, highly probable, but 2? Doubtful.

Here's my "JA draft":

1. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

3. Chilo Rachel, OG, USC

3. Jerome Simpson, WR, Coastal Carolina

4. Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia

6. John David Booty, QB, USC

7. Jamie Silva, S, Boston College

Using the word "stacked" to describe or WR group should be illegal. Stacked implies deep and good. We have a bunch of guys, but they are all either unproven (Hester, Bradley, Riddeau, Hass), disappointments (Lloyd), or aging (Booker). Davis doesn't really fit in any of those groups. He is what he is. A decent slot receiver.

Using the word "stacked" to describe or WR group should be illegal. Stacked implies deep and good. We have a bunch of guys, but they are all either unproven (Hester, Bradley, Riddeau, Hass), disappointments (Lloyd), or aging (Booker). Davis doesn't really fit in any of those groups. He is what he is. A decent slot receiver.

I meant it as we have too many to to go out and draft 2 of them. If we add 2, I hope 1 is a good one (DJ Hackett) and 1 in the draft.

Gosder Cherilus is arguably the 3rd best OT in the draft. The only reason why Otah is going to go ahead of him is because of his enormous potential and Williams will because of his possibility of being a franchise LT. Plus, this is a stacked tackle class.

Puke and Gosder Cherilus' name should should not be in the same sentence. Cherilus is a hell of a prospect in his own right and is probably the safest pick among all OT's to go along with Jake Long. He will be able to step in and produce at RT right away, and for a long time.

Personally I think it is all a major crap shoot. I would love Williams because I think he has all the tools to be a franchise left tackle which is something you can't necessarily say about the other guys (although all project to be above average left tackles and most would have the ability to be probowl right tackles).

I just hope the Bears can identify the guy they want and end up getting him and he ends up living up to his skill-set and turns into a bookend on our line. I also believe there are a handful of these tackles that grade out very similarly and because of that I see valid reason to wait and move down in the draft targetting two things (RB & OT) knowing that by moving down you should get enough ammo to move your 2nd round pick up a few slots to ensure you get what you want with your 1st and 2nd round pick.

So is it safe to say that the Bears will pick one of the following at 14?

Brian Brohm QB Louisville

Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois

Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon

Ryan Clady OT Boise St.

Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt

Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh

Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

Limas Sweed WR Texas

The only way a team would pick Baker over Cherilus is because they use a ZBS and already have a RT (Panthers for example). Other wise, Cherilus is about 10x the prospect Baker is.

I don't see how you can say that. Baker was a 4-year starter at LT at a great program, which is nothing to sniff at. Baker's almost certainly a better pass-blocker right now than Cherilus, while Cherilus is probably the better run-blocker. Cherilus was not good at LT last year and is looked at by many as just a RT prospect, while Baker can play both and maybe LT immediately. Some teams will certainly prefer one over the other, but Cherilus is hardly "10x the prospect Baker is."

I don't see how you can say that. Baker was a 4-year starter at LT at a great program, which is nothing to sniff at. Baker's almost certainly a better pass-blocker right now than Cherilus, while Cherilus is probably the better run-blocker. Cherilus was not good at LT last year and is looked at by many as just a RT prospect, while Baker can play both and maybe LT immediately. Some teams will certainly prefer one over the other, but Cherilus is hardly "10x the prospect Baker is."

Baker can only, or rather, should only, play LT in the ZBS. Otherwise, he would have to shift to OG. Cherilus is a much better prospect then Baker. Cherilus isn't a good LT, but he was and will be a real good RT.

Plus, it's kinda tough to compare a RT to a G/T tweener. However, wanting the Bears to draft Baker over Cherilus, if they were the 2 options, is retarded.

Baker can only, or rather, should only, play LT in the ZBS. Otherwise, he would have to shift to OG. Cherilus is a much better prospect then Baker. Cherilus isn't a good LT, but he was and will be a real good RT.

Plus, it's kinda tough to compare a RT to a G/T tweener. However, wanting the Bears to draft Baker over Cherilus, if they were the 2 options, is retarded.

I still don't see what keeps Baker from being effective at RT. His skills might translate to LT best, but it's a lot tougher to make a RT into a LT than the other way around (as Cherilus' struggles there show). Plus, depending on how the Bears evaluate, it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility (and certainly not "retarted") that the Bears find it's more effective to take Baker to start at LT and Tait at RT (where, at least for the first year, he'd likely be better than Cherilus would be), than to keep Tait at LT and put Cherilus at RT.