Benson's ankle injury could alter draft plans

Da Bears 88

Ignore that I broke it up into a triple quote. I was going to reply to each, but then decided all at once. I didn't want to put them together because I deleted parts.

I think this year Brohm, as Quinn last year, is worth a top pick. I think they dropped (dropping in Brohm's case) because of team need vs. players available at other positions. This year, with all of the second round picks last year, the need for a QB on other teams has dropped. If you look at the teams that need a QB this year, I think you are looking at the Ravens, Falcons, and Bears. Of course other teams could jump in the mix, Chiefs or Jets, and other teams who took a flyer on a second round QB last year and didn't like him.

I remember you making an argument recently in the situation Otah is the best LT available at our pick. I'm going off memory here, you basically said if he is there draft him. It may be considered a reach, but it's worth it to get the player you want/need. I agree with that applied to QB. A team could trade up and get him before we do.

In a perfect world, we get our OT with the 14 and trade up to get Brohm later. I would love that if it happened, but you are also gambling on losing Brohm to another team with the same idea.

Agreed on Brohm. Only if we are truly re-building the team. I have always been on the half full side of the glass and will remain so until I see a true indicator. I'm almost there, but not yet. If I see a draft that does not help this years team, I will switch to re-build mode. For now, I remain stuck in rebuild the OL mode.

If he is a regular at halas, other than rehab and/or working out, what could he be doing? All jokes aside, and I am sure we can think of plenty (Like he is picking up yet another paycheck he did nothing to earn:)) what else could he be doing there?

I did a wire tap at Halas Hall and unearthed this jewel.

JA: "Hello Cedric"

CB: "yeah"

JA: "Thought to call and offer my engouragement in your daily rehab at the facility"

CB: "what"

JA: "your rehab"

CB: "oh, I thought that was voluntary"

JA: "it is" "I would never wan't you expect to be cut for not re-habbing that would really hurt your career, let alone your bank account" "that simply doesn't occur in the NFL" "you have planned for the future right?"

CB: "you know, I've been planning on being there but lost my entry key"

JA: "I'll meet at the door with a new one tomorrow morning"

CB: "yes sir" "thank you, sir"

click

Ok, apparently I missed these conversations. What happened to Pittsburgh having the least amount of cap room in the league and then signing Big Ben for over 100 million?

But what LT2 pointed out was, right now a big chunk of their salary cap is tied up to Starks, who is counting something like $7m (I think) against their cap since they slapped him w/ the transition tag. In looking at matching a new offer, they would then get to use all that cap money. In talking poison pill, you are usually talking about trying to hit a teams 1st year cap pretty big. Well, they are already counting around $7m against their 2008 cap. How much higher are we willing to go? Say we slap a 1st year, $10m cap hit. That is significant, yet only $3m over what they are already counting.

Why would this limit us in drafting a LT? Are you assuming that any LT would start immediately? Tait has two years on his contract left, and he'll be 35. We've seen what happened to the 34 year old Fred Miller. I think Tait will hang it up. He's a devout Mormon/family guy (he always signs more autographs then anyone else at training camp). He also doesn't hang out with the rest of the o-line in his free time. I only point that out because he doesn't seem to enjoy the NFL lifestyle the way others do. IMO that makes it easier for him to go.

Okay, say Tait leaves after two more seasons. That means you are drafting an OT who is not going to play OT for two years? To me, that is like drafting a RB w/ your first pick, and his not starting the first two years. Most conclude bust status in that case.

So if Williams falls to us, he plays LG for two years, then moves out to LT for the last 3 years of his contract. Assuming Williams is as good as advertised, that sounds damn good to me.

If we draft Otah or Albert, maybe this works, but I am not as sure Williams can play OG. Not every OT can move inside.

You're still assuming that a rookie will be good enough to start. That's flat out nuts. You have to operate on the assumption that any draft pick will flat out suck immediately.

I 100% disagree w/ that statement. When you have a top half pick in the 1st round, I think the expectation is that player will be a starter, w/ the exception being QB. Whoever we draft in the 1st, I think the expectation is he starts as a rookie, not that he sucks.

Wasn't the guy in San Diego a RT? I don't remember for sure & I don't care enough to spend 2 minutes looking it up. While there's been some love for that guy, does anyone remember who San Diego's coach is? They benched him and won a bunch of games in a row. My guess is that Ron is begging Jerry to bring him in.

I believe he was their OG, then moved to RT later on. That is one reason why I like the idea of signing him. He has proven himself both at OT and OG. Adding him would give us more flexibility in the draft. If we see an OT we like, he can play inside. If we see a guard we like, we play him outside. If we add Starks, we do not have that flexibility.