Benson's ankle injury could alter draft plans

Da Bears 88

Reasons why this piece loses credibility in my eyes.

1. "With the Bears being more tight-lipped than ever regarding injury information, it’s hard to get an exact gauge on Benson’s ongoing rehab."

Come on. This is the status quo for our coaches. I think Lovie follows Billicks philosophy on talking about injuries. Whether it is about Urlacher, Harris or whoever, our staff simply does not talk about players injuries, which drives the media nuts, and leads to some reporting that is based on suspicion absent explanation.

2. "Daily team observers tell us Benson has been a regular at Halas Hall this offseason, but nobody has seen him actually working out."

Okay. What exactly is Benson doing at Halas Hall on a regular basis if not working out? Watching game film? Who buys that? If he is a regular at Halas, I think the likely reason is he is working out and rehabbing. I am not sure what other reasons he would have to be a regular at Halas Hall. Also, should this not be considered a positive for Bear fans. I mean, w/ all the talk about Benson's weight and playing shape at camp last year, should it not be good news if he is now a regular at Halas Hall?

3. " However, if Arkansas hotshot Darren McFadden somehow falls through the cracks in the first round of the draft and is still available at No. 14 — a scenario our draft insiders believe is entirely possible —"

Okay, seriously now. Who the hell thinks McFadden will fall to 14. Prior to the combine, some started to throw this out there, but once he ran a 4.33/40, those thoughts were put to rest. The fact their sources think McFadden falls to 14 has me questioning their whole piece.

I am not saying there is no chance we Benson's injury isn't more serious, or that we avoid RB in the 1st. What I am saying is this piece has some very questionable information in it that makes me question the entire thing.

There's needs everywhere on offense.

That's why I'm so hard core on wanting a qb in the first. This offense won't be "Fixed" this year, and a QB takes a couple years to develop. By the time we fix the positions, we'll have a new QB ready to take over. I hope it'll be Brohm they make a move on. I think he is our best bet, even if his stock has fell to the later part of round one because the teams behind us do not need a QB.

Later round quarterbacks have a higher failure rate, and I have a feeling Flacco will be a huge bust. When's the last time a player was elevated so high in the draft because of physical attributes and turned out?

Michael Vick could run, but could never get down the passing game. Alex Smith has physically what you want from a QB, but never had what it takes mentally and jumped up in the draft. That tall white dude in Jacksonville was a qb in college, but they wanted to make a WR because he would physically good never turned out. We drafted small school D. Manning because of physical stuff, but he never caught on. Mark Bradley was like our 4th or 5th WR last year, and was drafted on his physical attributes as well, and to this point hasn't turned out.

I know this has nothing to do with RB/OT, but I see QB as the most important position on a team and we have a gaping hole there.

You put a good QB behind an average line and you'll get production. If you put a bad QB behind a great line, your offense is still going to lose you games.

Grossman and Orton are just bad. If we don't get our QB for next year in this years draft, then we are looking at one of them again or a castaway from another team starting next year.

Grossman had a 66.4 QB rating last year with 3 fumbles lost too boot. The guy only completes a little over 54 percent of his passes. I know, some feel people feel the benching had an effect on him last year. I don't think it was that good. He had 3 td's and only one int in that time. He also had 5 fumbles and 3 fumbles lost. I also don't think that 3 TD's in around 4 games is that good. Orton is what he is, and that is a back up.

With the emergence of later round RB's lately, and imo QB and OL are more important, then RB shouldn't be an option in round one to me.

You are SO right. There are holes all over the O.

I'd normally be with you on QB first. I do think it's the most important position. But I'm just not sold on this class for a #1 pick. But, if we got Brohm, I'd be OK with that. I was personally hoping to nab Mendenhall with 1, and a QB w/ the 2nd. I don't know who that should be...I'm just not sold on anyone. Not even Ryan. I thought once that Brennan would be good...but I've really soured on that.

What are your thoughts on Henne?

I too agree that Grossman is bad news. His inconsistency is a killer. I'm not quite sure what to make of Orton. I actually see him as a Steve Fuller. The perrennial 2nd string backup that manages a game well. He won't win it, but he won't lose it.

In all honesty, I just want our #1 pick to rock, whatever position it is.

There's needs everywhere on offense.

That's why I'm so hard core on wanting a qb in the first. This offense won't be "Fixed" this year, and a QB takes a couple years to develop. By the time we fix the positions, we'll have a new QB ready to take over. I hope it'll be Brohm they make a move on. I think he is our best bet, even if his stock has fell to the later part of round one because the teams behind us do not need a QB.

Later round quarterbacks have a higher failure rate, and I have a feeling Flacco will be a huge bust. When's the last time a player was elevated so high in the draft because of physical attributes and turned out?

Michael Vick could run, but could never get down the passing game. Alex Smith has physically what you want from a QB, but never had what it takes mentally and jumped up in the draft. That tall white dude in Jacksonville was a qb in college, but they wanted to make a WR because he would physically good never turned out. We drafted small school D. Manning because of physical stuff, but he never caught on. Mark Bradley was like our 4th or 5th WR last year, and was drafted on his physical attributes as well, and to this point hasn't turned out.

I know this has nothing to do with RB/OT, but I see QB as the most important position on a team and we have a gaping hole there.

You put a good QB behind an average line and you'll get production. If you put a bad QB behind a great line, your offense is still going to lose you games.

Grossman and Orton are just bad. If we don't get our QB for next year in this years draft, then we are looking at one of them again or a castaway from another team starting next year.

Grossman had a 66.4 QB rating last year with 3 fumbles lost too boot. The guy only completes a little over 54 percent of his passes. I know, some feel people feel the benching had an effect on him last year. I don't think it was that good. He had 3 td's and only one int in that time. He also had 5 fumbles and 3 fumbles lost. I also don't think that 3 TD's in around 4 games is that good. Orton is what he is, and that is a back up.

With the emergence of later round RB's lately, and imo QB and OL are more important, then RB shouldn't be an option in round one to me.

'Tis the time for smokescreens, but I think there's something to this. I read about it months ago I believe.

We all know teams don't share any info... But I also think if it were going really well, you'd hear feel good stories like with Rex on how much the guy is re-habbing,etc... Again, could be a smokescreen to get people thinking we really need a RB.

The only thing I could see him doing regularly at Hallas Hall is watching Babylon by Bus while wmoking a fat doobie. Maybe he is re-habbing. I've got to see it to believe it. I do not see it as a positive...I see it what it bloody well should be. Do you congratulate your co-workers for just showing up? (At least most wouldn't...)

I think the editors at PTW have nothing to talk about (like us!), so speculating McFadden will drop, make people read and react.

I question everything that comes out as info. But more importanly, I question Benson.

Reasons why this piece loses credibility in my eyes.

1. "With the Bears being more tight-lipped than ever regarding injury information, it’s hard to get an exact gauge on Benson’s ongoing rehab."

Come on. This is the status quo for our coaches. I think Lovie follows Billicks philosophy on talking about injuries. Whether it is about Urlacher, Harris or whoever, our staff simply does not talk about players injuries, which drives the media nuts, and leads to some reporting that is based on suspicion absent explanation.

2. "Daily team observers tell us Benson has been a regular at Halas Hall this offseason, but nobody has seen him actually working out."

Okay. What exactly is Benson doing at Halas Hall on a regular basis if not working out? Watching game film? Who buys that? If he is a regular at Halas, I think the likely reason is he is working out and rehabbing. I am not sure what other reasons he would have to be a regular at Halas Hall. Also, should this not be considered a positive for Bear fans. I mean, w/ all the talk about Benson's weight and playing shape at camp last year, should it not be good news if he is now a regular at Halas Hall?

3. " However, if Arkansas hotshot Darren McFadden somehow falls through the cracks in the first round of the draft and is still available at No. 14 — a scenario our draft insiders believe is entirely possible —"

Okay, seriously now. Who the hell thinks McFadden will fall to 14. Prior to the combine, some started to throw this out there, but once he ran a 4.33/40, those thoughts were put to rest. The fact their sources think McFadden falls to 14 has me questioning their whole piece.

I am not saying there is no chance we Benson's injury isn't more serious, or that we avoid RB in the 1st. What I am saying is this piece has some very questionable information in it that makes me question the entire thing.

I have no argument on the importance of our getting a QB. The only issue I have is whether there is a good enough QB worth our 14th pick.

By all accounts, this is not a very good QB class. I read how it is fairly deep, in that there are a lot of QBs who could be drafted, but in talking 1st round value QBs, it doesn't look great. Ryan is considered the best, and is called a top 5 pick, but how much of that has to do w/ it being a weak class, as opposed to simply his being that good?

In a stronger QB class, I wonder where Ryan or Broham would rank? If this was 2007, would Ryan be considered a top 5 pick or would he more likely fall like Quinn. And if Ryan is questioned to fall, would Broham even be a 1st round pick.

No argument QB is a need. I would not even argue when you say it is our top need. But sometimes need doesn't mesh w/ the draft. For example, if safety were our top need, this would not be a very good draft for us. Would that mean we draft safety anyway. Yea, Safety and QB are totally different, but my point is, I do not think you can draft solely on need.

OT is a top tier need. I do not believe you disagree w/ this. But unlike QB, OT is also considered one of the best positions in the draft. Not only that, but this is considered one of the best groups seen in years. It just seems more logical to me to get one of the better/best OTs from a class considered to be one of the best in years, rather than grab a QB in a year considered weak for QBs.

More and more, I wonder if our best choice would not be to draft at 14, then trade up into the back end of the 1st round to get our QB. Like you said, few teams after us are looking at QB. So why not try to do like Cle, and move up from our 2nd pick. Get an OT, then a QB for him to block.

The only thing I could see him doing regularly at Hallas Hall is watching Babylon by Bus while wmoking a fat doobie. Maybe he is re-habbing. I've got to see it to believe it. I do not see it as a positive...I see it what it bloody well should be. Do you congratulate your co-workers for just showing up? (At least most wouldn't...)

I credit co-workers who show up on weekends. You say he should be there, but this is the offseason, and not even an OTA. This is not showing up for another day at the office. This is showing up voluntarily, which I would argue is far more like coming in on weekends.

Last year (I think it was last year) I remember reading articles about how Rex was a regular at Halas, and fans made a huge deal about the committment he showed. Most players are at home, and the closest thing they get to football right now is on the playstation. If a player is a "regular at Halas" right now, sorry, but that does show a level of committment that I do believe warrants some credit.

Anyway, you really didn't answer the key question. You joke how he is watching babylon and smoking doobies, and then go on to say while he may be rehabbing, you would have to see it to believe it. But you avoid the question. If he is a regular at halas, other than rehab and/or working out, what could he be doing? All jokes aside, and I am sure we can think of plenty (Like he is picking up yet another paycheck he did nothing to earn:)) what else could he be doing there?

I have no argument on the importance of our getting a QB. The only issue I have is whether there is a good enough QB worth our 14th pick.

OT is a top tier need. I do not believe you disagree w/ this. But unlike QB, OT is also considered one of the best positions in the draft. Not only that, but this is considered one of the best groups seen in years. It just seems more logical to me to get one of the better/best OTs from a class considered to be one of the best in years, rather than grab a QB in a year considered weak for QBs.

More and more, I wonder if our best choice would not be to draft at 14, then trade up into the back end of the 1st round to get our QB. Like you said, few teams after us are looking at QB. So why not try to do like Cle, and move up from our 2nd pick. Get an OT, then a QB for him to block.

Ignore that I broke it up into a triple quote. I was going to reply to each, but then decided all at once. I didn't want to put them together because I deleted parts.

I think this year Brohm, as Quinn last year, is worth a top pick. I think they dropped (dropping in Brohm's case) because of team need vs. players available at other positions. This year, with all of the second round picks last year, the need for a QB on other teams has dropped. If you look at the teams that need a QB this year, I think you are looking at the Ravens, Falcons, and Bears. Of course other teams could jump in the mix, Chiefs or Jets, and other teams who took a flyer on a second round QB last year and didn't like him.

I remember you making an argument recently in the situation Otah is the best LT available at our pick. I'm going off memory here, you basically said if he is there draft him. It may be considered a reach, but it's worth it to get the player you want/need. I agree with that applied to QB. A team could trade up and get him before we do.

In a perfect world, we get our OT with the 14 and trade up to get Brohm later. I would love that if it happened, but you are also gambling on losing Brohm to another team with the same idea.

Yes, I did say that if our scouts love Otah, to simply take him. But again, my point is this is considered an elite year in terms of OTs. I have read the near opposite w/ regard to QB.

I'll be honest. I have not watched much of Broham, and only go off report. From what I have read though, he is considered the #2 QB (which is even questioned by some) and a 1st round grade due in largue part to the weak QB class. If this were a better QB class, many I have read question whether he would still be considered a 1st round pick. That has nothing to do w/ team need, but w/ talent pool at the position.

If this were last year, I think Broham would have been considered the 3rd or even 4th best QB, and he would have been a 2nd round pick.

The year before, 4th best, and again, likely a 2nd round pick.

Year before that, another weak QB crop, maybe a late 1st.

So my issue is taking a QB in a year, due to need, considered weak at QB v taking an OT, another need, in a year considered elite at OT.

Yes, I did say that if our scouts love Otah, to simply take him. But again, my point is this is considered an elite year in terms of OTs. I have read the near opposite w/ regard to QB.

I'll be honest. I have not watched much of Broham, and only go off report. From what I have read though, he is considered the #2 QB (which is even questioned by some) and a 1st round grade due in largue part to the weak QB class. If this were a better QB class, many I have read question whether he would still be considered a 1st round pick. That has nothing to do w/ team need, but w/ talent pool at the position.

If this were last year, I think Broham would have been considered the 3rd or even 4th best QB, and he would have been a 2nd round pick.

The year before, 4th best, and again, likely a 2nd round pick.

Year before that, another weak QB crop, maybe a late 1st.

So my issue is taking a QB in a year, due to need, considered weak at QB v taking an OT, another need, in a year considered elite at OT.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I don't understand your argument.

Brohm is considered the second best quarter back in a weak QB class. He would be the 3rd QB chosen other years.

Otah considered the 4th LT option this year. He didn't start playing football till his senior year of high school, spent 2 years in college playing at Valley Forge Military Academy. He's 4th best due to his potential, so he most likely would have never been the top LT in the draft in recent years either.

Either way, you are drafting a player higher then he is projected and no, neither would have been drafted first in their position in recent years.

Sorry, I can't resist...why not draft the guy slotted at 14... Mr. Mendenhall? ;)

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I don't understand your argument.

Brohm is considered the second best quarter back in a weak QB class. He would be the 3rd QB chosen other years.

Otah considered the 4th LT option this year. He didn't start playing football till his senior year of high school, spent 2 years in college playing at Valley Forge Military Academy. He's 4th best due to his potential, so he most likely would have never been the top LT in the draft in recent years either.

Either way, you are drafting a player higher then he is projected and no, neither would have been drafted first in their position in recent years.

Sorry, I can't resist...why not draft the guy slotted at 14... Mr. Mendenhall? ;)

They interviewed him on sirius today while I was at work and I was impressed with his interview. They also had Pete Carrol on and he made it sound like he was one of the best backs hes faced in a long time. If we went that route we would have to go O line in the second and first third rounder.

OK. I follow your analogy. But you can't convince me! My mind is made up! Benson's a bum! :banghead

But in all fairness...I'm sure he is doing some rehabbing. I'd just like to know how seriously...or is it a show? Leopard's tend not to change their spots, so if he really is re-dedicating himself to being a football player, that would be great. But, I've always heard that he wasn't in that mindset. He definitley started on the wrong foot here...and has now injured that foot so to speak...again.

I hope he is giving it everything and then some.

...let's not forget, as many folks as you have in the office working on the weekend, how many, during the week just don't work? He could be going through the motions... I'm on that page unless I hear otherwise.

I credit co-workers who show up on weekends. You say he should be there, but this is the offseason, and not even an OTA. This is not showing up for another day at the office. This is showing up voluntarily, which I would argue is far more like coming in on weekends.

Last year (I think it was last year) I remember reading articles about how Rex was a regular at Halas, and fans made a huge deal about the committment he showed. Most players are at home, and the closest thing they get to football right now is on the playstation. If a player is a "regular at Halas" right now, sorry, but that does show a level of committment that I do believe warrants some credit.

Anyway, you really didn't answer the key question. You joke how he is watching babylon and smoking doobies, and then go on to say while he may be rehabbing, you would have to see it to believe it. But you avoid the question. If he is a regular at halas, other than rehab and/or working out, what could he be doing? All jokes aside, and I am sure we can think of plenty (Like he is picking up yet another paycheck he did nothing to earn:)) what else could he be doing there?

Good to know!

They interviewed him on sirius today while I was at work and I was impressed with his interview. They also had Pete Carrol on and he made it sound like he was one of the best backs hes faced in a long time. If we went that route we would have to go O line in the second and first third rounder.

While everyone is focusing on Benson actually sucking worse due to injury, what about this little blurb from the article:

"With unproven second-year pro Josh Beekman and mediocre-at-best seventh-year pro Terrence Metcalf considered the front-runners for the starting OLG job, and journeyman John St. Clair shaping up as the starter at right tackle heading into the draft"

Yikes. Metcalf VS. Beekman??? Christ almighty. St. Clair as the starting RT??? Wow. Just for the record, I like St. Clair ok. As long as the rest of the line is solid. There's no guarantee that any rookie we draft will be worth a damn.

I've argued this before & I'll say it again: SIGN MAX STARKS!!! Yes he's a RT, yes he'll probably cost 7 years 50 million, and yes he's only good and not great. But this would be great for the Bears long term. Reasons:

1. It gives us draft flexibility. What if McFadden did slip yet we were too damn desperate for a tackle to draft him?

2. We can still draft offensive line #1. Let him play LG for a year or two and consider having him & Tait switch positions. Tait is 33 years old and is likely done in 3 years.

3. Starks is 26 and would anchor the right side for years.

4. Starks has the transition tag which means the Bears would have to make the offer front-loaded so Pittsburgh couldn't match. We did the same thing when we signed Tait, and something similar when we signed RMJ (although we had to give up our 3rd rounder for him.)

Seriously guys, we need to add at least one starting quality offensive lineman in free agency. If we don't sign Starks, who the hell would we go after?

I could not agree more.

While everyone is focusing on Benson actually sucking worse due to injury, what about this little blurb from the article:

"With unproven second-year pro Josh Beekman and mediocre-at-best seventh-year pro Terrence Metcalf considered the front-runners for the starting OLG job, and journeyman John St. Clair shaping up as the starter at right tackle heading into the draft"

Yikes. Metcalf VS. Beekman??? Christ almighty. St. Clair as the starting RT??? Wow. Just for the record, I like St. Clair ok. As long as the rest of the line is solid. There's no guarantee that any rookie we draft will be worth a damn.

I've argued this before & I'll say it again: SIGN MAX STARKS!!! Yes he's a RT, yes he'll probably cost 7 years 50 million, and yes he's only good and not great. But this would be great for the Bears long term. Reasons:

1. It gives us draft flexibility. What if McFadden did slip yet we were too damn desperate for a tackle to draft him?

2. We can still draft offensive line #1. Let him play LG for a year or two and consider having him & Tait switch positions. Tait is 33 years old and is likely done in 3 years.

3. Starks is 26 and would anchor the right side for years.

4. Starks has the transition tag which means the Bears would have to make the offer front-loaded so Pittsburgh couldn't match. We did the same thing when we signed Tait, and something similar when we signed RMJ (although we had to give up our 3rd rounder for him.)

Seriously guys, we need to add at least one starting quality offensive lineman in free agency. If we don't sign Starks, who the hell would we go after?

My point is, this is considered a weak year for QB, and I question what his Broham's value would be in a bette QB year.

This is considered a HUGE year for OTs. Otah is arguably ranked #4, but again, it is an issue of being such a great OT crop.

I have said this before, but I really do not know much about Broham. What bothers me is, all the talk about the weak QB crop, and Broham is, in a weak year, still considered questionable, mid to late 1st round pick.

Otah is the 4th rated OT, but that is in a great OT year, and in other years, he may well have been the #2 ranked OT.

Signing Starks may not be very easy anymore. LT2 and I talked about this quite a bit.

Pitt has a ton of cap room, similar to us, so simply throwing him a poison pill deal may not be as doable as we would like, particularly as we have used some cap space already to re-sign some players, and want to keep more space to look at extending several other players.

From everything I have heard, there is a reason no one has shown interest in Starks. The belief around the league is Pitt slapped him w/ the transition tag simply to allow the league to set the market, and thus the price, for him. They intend to match any offer (reasonable) made to him, and thus teams feel he is a waste of time.

The other issue I have, and have had, w/ signing Starks is, it gives up on the idea of getting a LT in the draft. Clady is likely out of our reach, but Williams may not. If we draft Starks, we would most likely be passing on OT, and thus, killing out chance to find that LT upgrade we want so badly.

The one way I would be for signing Starks would be if we could/would draft Albert in the draft. Albert is a guy who can start immediately at OG, but w/ the potential of moving to LT in the NFL. So in a year or two, we could look at moving him outside to replace Tait.

What I would rather do, though we won't, is sign the OG cut by SD. Then we would only be short an OT, which we grab in the draft.

Signing Starks may not be very easy anymore. LT2 and I talked about this quite a bit.

Pitt has a ton of cap room, similar to us, so simply throwing him a poison pill deal may not be as doable as we would like, particularly as we have used some cap space already to re-sign some players, and want to keep more space to look at extending several other players.

From everything I have heard, there is a reason no one has shown interest in Starks. The belief around the league is Pitt slapped him w/ the transition tag simply to allow the league to set the market, and thus the price, for him. They intend to match any offer (reasonable) made to him, and thus teams feel he is a waste of time.

Ok, apparently I missed these conversations. What happened to Pittsburgh having the least amount of cap room in the league and then signing Big Ben for over 100 million?

The other issue I have, and have had, w/ signing Starks is, it gives up on the idea of getting a LT in the draft. Clady is likely out of our reach, but Williams may not. If we draft Starks, we would most likely be passing on OT, and thus, killing out chance to find that LT upgrade we want so badly.

Why would this limit us in drafting a LT? Are you assuming that any LT would start immediately? Tait has two years on his contract left, and he'll be 35. We've seen what happened to the 34 year old Fred Miller. I think Tait will hang it up. He's a devout Mormon/family guy (he always signs more autographs then anyone else at training camp). He also doesn't hang out with the rest of the o-line in his free time. I only point that out because he doesn't seem to enjoy the NFL lifestyle the way others do. IMO that makes it easier for him to go.

So if Williams falls to us, he plays LG for two years, then moves out to LT for the last 3 years of his contract. Assuming Williams is as good as advertised, that sounds damn good to me.

The one way I would be for signing Starks would be if we could/would draft Albert in the draft. Albert is a guy who can start immediately at OG, but w/ the potential of moving to LT in the NFL. So in a year or two, we could look at moving him outside to replace Tait.

What I would rather do, though we won't, is sign the OG cut by SD. Then we would only be short an OT, which we grab in the draft.

You're still assuming that a rookie will be good enough to start. That's flat out nuts. You have to operate on the assumption that any draft pick will flat out suck immediately.

Wasn't the guy in San Diego a RT? I don't remember for sure & I don't care enough to spend 2 minutes looking it up. While there's been some love for that guy, does anyone remember who San Diego's coach is? They benched him and won a bunch of games in a row. My guess is that Ron is begging Jerry to bring him in.

1. Mendenhall

2. Carl Nicks

3. Jerome Simpson

3. Chilo Rachal

and so on...

How does that sound for ya?