What about this guy for our 1st pick?

butkusrules

Some mock had us taking him at 12 and making him our Left Tackle. The ex basketball player has the size for it.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...ndenalbert.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensive Guard | Junior | Virginia Branden Albert

Height: 6-55/8 | Weight: 309 | 40-Time: 5.17

Official Bio

Strengths:

Excellent size with a big frame and long arms...Fantastic athlete...Good quickness and agility...Strong and physical...Is nasty with a killer instinct...Mobile with decent range to pull and get to the second level...Smart with good awareness...Excellent pass blocker and also gets a decent push in the run game...Real versatile..Leader with great intangibles...Tough and durable..Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Still has some work to do in the technique department...Can be inconsistent with his leverage...Motor runs hot and cold at times..Not a dominant run blocker...Has to work on holding his blocks and finishing....He is still relatively new to the game.

Notes:

Did not begin playing football until his junior year of high school in 2002..Was also a standout basketball player as a prep...Stepped in as a true freshman and was a three-year starter for the Cavs ( 36 games )...Named a team captain as a junior in 2007...He started a couple of games at left tackle as a junior in place of an injured Eugene Monroe and could possibly play outside at the pro level as well...First-rate talent with exceptional physical tools....Already a great all-around player however his best days are still ahead...The rare offensive guard who is a legit first rounder

I like Branden Albert and he could play LG for us immediately, and perhaps even eventually move over to LT. With him, we could then draft a guy in round 2 or 3 and can play RT, and have him compete with St. Clair.

I think it would be interesting to see how we grade these OTs out.

Long is a top 3 pick (value). Clady has become a top 10 pick, w/ some having him go as high as #5, though that is based largely on need.

Most seem to have Williams next. Most feel he can be a LT, but he also has the size and strength to slide over to RT if it doesn't workout on the left. Also, he did play some OG in college, and may slide in there temporary too. Problem is, w/ Clady's stock rising, it lessens the liklihood of Williams falling to us. Denver and Carolina are prime candidates to grab him in front of us.

That leaves the group of Alberts, Otah and Cherilius. I suppose we can throw in Baker as well.

The consensus seems to have Otah 1st, w/ Alberts very close behind, and then Cherilius and then Baker. I wonder if this is how the bears rank the group though. Of this group, I think only Cherilius is not considered a potential LT. I think Otah has about as much upside as any, but I also think Albert has more potential at LT, and may be able to play anywhere on the OL (minus center). From what I have read, Cherilius is strictly a RT. Baker I think will be a LT in the NFL, but never a great one.

So anyway, I am just curious to see how our staff grade these guys out. They may have Albert graded higher than Otah, or maybe Albert is not even grades as a 1st rounder. Who knows. I go back and forther between Otah and Alberts. I guess one thing that could put Otah over the top for me would be knowing whether he could play inside or not. I'll say this. Which ever of these two we do not draft, I think Pitt does.

I am sure we could probably move down (in front of PIT) and still get him.

That's easier said then done since what incentive would the Cowboys, Redskins, or Buccs have in trading up 6-8 spots? Cowboys, maybe if they fall in love with a corner and want to get them before maybe the Texans, Eagles, or Cardinals... but I highly doubt we will be trade partners with either Washington or Tampa.

B) When I (or anyone else) do that, it means I completely agree.

If Dallas can't get the trade done with Miami to get DMC, and Mendy is still there for us, we should explore a trade to get their 2 1st's. Maybe with those we could go Albert/Otah and then Hardy/Doucet.

Okay, I have nothing against you, and I think you're a good poster, but that is completely idiotic to think something like that will happen. First off, the difference between 14 and both Cowboy 1st round picks is over 400 points. So, we would have to throw in both our 3rd rounders for something like this to happen.

If that isn't enough, the Cowboys already have Marion Barber, who is turning into one of the top backs in the league. The only reason why there were all those rumors about McFadden and the Cowboys is because Jerry Jones is Arkansas alumn and loves McFadden. They will likely draft a RB early, but odds are that it will be someone like Felix Jones or Jamaal Charles with either their late 1st or 2nd round pick.

Now, I am not ruling out a possible trade with the Cowboys, but there is no way they trade up for Mendenhall, and there is no way we will get both of their first rounders. If they trade up, it will be for a CB and we'd only get 22, their 2nd rounder, and a mid round pick most likely.

I like Branden Albert and he could play LG for us immediately, and perhaps even eventually move over to LT. With him, we could then draft a guy in round 2 or 3 and can play RT, and have him compete with St. Clair.

"Still has some work to do in the technique department...Can be inconsistent with his leverage...Motor runs hot and cold at times..Not a dominant run blocker...Has to work on holding his blocks and finishing....He is still relatively new to the game."

Branden Albert

I'll pass...

seems as if he needs time to develop,so I dont see him starting right away...and we need some one NOW..IMO

Possible, though it may not matter. Opinions of the wonderlic are varyied. Vince Young did as crapy as any, and was still a high pick. Further, I would argue some positions may put more weight on the wonderlic than others. I am not sure it is nearly as important for the guys in the trech than it is for numerous other positions.

Possible, though it may not matter. Opinions of the wonderlic are varyied. Vince Young did as crapy as any, and was still a high pick. Further, I would argue some positions may put more weight on the wonderlic than others. I am not sure it is nearly as important for the guys in the trech than it is for numerous other positions.

I actually like this pick.

I for one dont mind reaches if I like the player or he is a fit for our team.

I am a big Miami fan and was absolutely overjoyed when we took Hester even though 95% of this board blasted the choice. I had followed him in college and knew what he could do with the ball in his hands.

"Still has some work to do in the technique department...Can be inconsistent with his leverage...Motor runs hot and cold at times..Not a dominant run blocker...Has to work on holding his blocks and finishing....He is still relatively new to the game."

Branden Albert

I'll pass...

seems as if he needs time to develop,so I dont see him starting right away...and we need some one NOW..IMO

lol, every prospect has things they need work on. Chris Williams has as many negatives, if not more. Same as Otah, Cherilus, and Clady.

I actually like this pick.

I for one dont mind reaches if I like the player or he is a fit for our team.

I am a big Miami fan and was absolutely overjoyed when we took Hester even though 95% of this board blasted the choice. I had followed him in college and knew what he could do with the ball in his hands.

I was also excited that the Bears drafted Hester after studying his highlights he was just what we needed after the PR diasters of predecssors previous season (Remeber WADE fumbling like 3 punts in the same game :bang) The Bears were fortunate they took him with their second pick becuase I think I remebr reading that TB was going to select Hester if he was available when they picked.

This is an excellent example when you really like a player, and he can impact your team in an area that needs an immediate attention i.e. kick/punt return special teams help and the GM makes that pick to secure this player. Kudos to JA on this move.

There is no doubt that JA's plan is to retool the offense via the draft especially in the areas of OL, RB, WR since he was not willing to over pay for FA. Still would like to add WR Jackson if he is still available.

I'll like to see us get Ryan Clady or Sam Baker..

Odds are that I have a better chance of winning the lottery then Clady falling to the Bears.

And as for Baker, he could still be around by our 2nd pick, and even if we do draft him, he'd likely have to play inside for us. His best fit is in a ZBS as a LT, and I am willing to bet a ZBS team drafts him.