MEdenhall> McFAdden ???

azbearsfan

Mike Mayock has Mendenhall above McFadden, too. There's a group of people who think, for all of his speed, McFadden simply doesn't run with enough power, that he goes down pretty easy. And, to be honest, every time I saw him play, that's about what I saw. He'd explode between two linemen into the open field and outrace everyone the rest of the way, which is great stuff, but he wouldn't run over anyone in the secondary. So, jmho, but I think it's a legit concern.

I think it was Mayock who was also questioning McFadden's extra gear. He showed film of McFadden running downfield, and pointed to moments when "special" RBs would hit another great to break away from a defender, and McFadden just didn't seem to have it.

There is no question McFadden will go higher than Mendenhall, but I think there is plenty of debate as to who the best RB in this class will be. Plenty often, the top RB is not the best RB. Heck, plenty often the best RB from a draft class was not even taken in the 1st round.

Two years ago, Bush was by far the top taken, but after an over-rated rookie year, he fell to earth. Addai and Jones-Drew have both proven very good, and were taken well after.

Year before that, Ronnie Brown was the top back, and has been solid, but never met expectations. Benson and Cadillac came next, and who wants them? In these three backs, you have MASSIVE hype heading into the draft. Frank Gore went in the 3rd. Marion Barber went in the 4th. I would take Gore or Barber over Brown.

I think it was Mayock who was also questioning McFadden's extra gear. He showed film of McFadden running downfield, and pointed to moments when "special" RBs would hit another great to break away from a defender, and McFadden just didn't seem to have it.
Do you really need an extra gear if you run a 4.27?

There is no question McFadden will go higher than Mendenhall, but I think there is plenty of debate as to who the best RB in this class will be. Plenty often, the top RB is not the best RB. Heck, plenty often the best RB from a draft class was not even taken in the 1st round.
Spot on.

Two years ago, Bush was by far the top taken, but after an over-rated rookie year, he fell to earth. Addai and Jones-Drew have both proven very good, and were taken well after.
Ditto

Year before that, Ronnie Brown was the top back, and has been solid, but never met expectations. Benson and Cadillac came next, and who wants them? In these three backs, you have MASSIVE hype heading into the draft. Frank Gore went in the 3rd. Marion Barber went in the 4th. I would take Gore or Barber over Brown.
You are out of your gourd on this one. Ronnie Brown was the most productive back in the NFL, last year, until he got hurt. You think we had nothing on offense?? They had only Ronnie Brown. You could could put 10 in the box vs Miami and he still produced. He was a one man break-out season until the injury. LOL :bang

Do you really need an extra gear if you run a 4.27?

I hate 40 times. We all use them, but they are too often a joke. Until they make players run the 40 in pads on a football field, rather than in shorts on a track, I just can not put too much stock in them. When Mayock was watching film of him playing on the field, he pointed out the lack of that extra gear, and how he was caught downfield. If he was truly a 4.27, would he be caught?

You are out of your gourd on this one. Ronnie Brown was the most productive back in the NFL, last year, until he got hurt. You think we had nothing on offense?? They had only Ronnie Brown. You could could put 10 in the box vs Miami and he still produced. He was a one man break-out season until the injury.

Sorry, but if you think it is so cut and dry between Brown and Gore, than you have not seen Gore play.

No question, Brown was it in Miami. He faced stacked boxes, ran behind a garbage OL, and still was productive. At the same time, a big question coming out of college was whether he could handle the workload after being in a RBBC situation in college, and his injuries the last two years does put that into question.

As for Gore, let us not pretend SF has anything close to a good QB, OL or offense in general. Gore is the go-to just like Brown. Maybe SF is a touch better on offense, but not by that much, and Gore is a big part of that difference.

Two years ago, Gore had 312 carries for 1,700 yards, a 5.4 ypc average and also caught 61 for 485. Those are freaking elite numbers. Last year, the offense was equal to Miami, and his numbers came down, but he was still productive. 260-1,100, a 4.2 ypc avg and 53 catches for 436 yards.

Sorry, but I would take Gore over Brown. Not only that, but throw in value. Miami had to use the 2nd pick in the draft on Brown. SF got Gore for a 3rd round pick.

Barber is less proven, and I would take Brown over him, but I think Barber could be a stud, and w/ a 4th round pick, I think was better value.