Colt Brennan status dropping per PFT

madlithuanian

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

COLT GETTING CUT

Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2008, 2:54 p.m.

Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan, whose buzz as a potential NFL quarterback took a serious hit once his team was dismantled by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, will see his draft stock dip for an entirely separate reason.

Brennan needs surgery to repair a torn labral in his hip, according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

The surgery is scheduled for April 7, and he’ll miss eight-to-12 weeks as he recovers and rehabs. In other words, he’ll miss most if not all of the offseason workouts of the team that drafts him.

In turn, he is expected to drop from a middle-round selection to a late-rounder. He possibly won’t be drafted at all

The injury occurred during the first Senior Bowl practice. He decided to finish the week, and he then played in the annual college All-Star game.

But the hip has continued to bother him. He also has gained 33 pounds since his weigh-in at the Senior Bowl.

Bottom line? Brennan’s potential pro career is in a huge hole right now, one from which he might never be able to dig out.

I see no harm... We have a ton of 7's... And odds are none of those guys will amount to jack either. Why not chance it on Brennan...?

My thinking exactly. The report there suggests he might have had a shot at going somewhere in the middle rounds pre-injury. If you're holding 4 7ths, most of them won't be doing anything but filling the practice squad on the Bears anyway...even if you draft another QB it might not hurt to have him there.

I think this send him from a possible 3rd round pick down the 4-5 range. He's still a lot better then a whole lot of the lesser QB's in this draft.

Agreed. Whoever we draft will be sitting far behind Rex & Orton and Kyle has been very durable. In other words, I don't see any player we draft taking the field this season anyway.

We have an extra 5th round pick. We could do worse then to draft him.

Agreed. Whoever we draft will be sitting far behind Rex & Orton and Kyle has been very durable. In other words, I don't see any player we draft taking the field this season anyway.

We have an extra 5th round pick. We could do worse then to draft him.

Coming off an injury, I don't think I'd invest a 5th rounder in him. You might talk me in to a 6th.

Coming off an injury, I don't think I'd invest a 5th rounder in him. You might talk me in to a 6th.

I'm looking at the Sporting News draft Guide, and they have him projected as a high 4th rounder. In the big scheme of things, these draft guides aren't worth a damn. But if he is that good and he drops, his injury doesn't mean a thing. If he's out 12 weeks he'll easily be ready for training camp. Since he's our 3rd stringer, it's not a big deal.

I definatley do not think QB situation is as big a problem as most people tend to think it is regarding the Bears. We have 2 young fairly experienced QB's who should improve there game; but to what level who knows but atleast we have shown we can win with them both. The bigger issue remains who is protecting the QB and the lack of weapons around him (RB & WR). With that said I also do not mind regulary drafting QB prospects and try to uncover a diamond in the rough. The Bears should take Colt with a 7th round selection and help him rehab because this kid has done some nice things in college and is worth a late round flyer.

Yeah it really depends on what the bears do early on as well as how the draft goes but I think I still would take him in the 5th assuming we have already drafted OT, RB, WR, OG. Manny people even worry about saftey depth but I think when healthy we should have adequate depth there as well. As much as Dmanning gets on my nerves with his poor technique, pursuit angles and bad tackling he actually started playing better late in the season and was much more physical too.

We already had Kordell and that did not seem to work. For a 3rd string QB should be a prospect with upside to be a passing QB with some mobility. I will admit I have not seen either QB play but what do you all think about this prospect with a late pick?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...inoconnell.html

Kevin O'Connell

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 225 | 40-Time: 4.61

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has excellent size and a big frame...Terrific athleticism...Great timed speed...Arm is strong enough to make all the throws..Nice touch and timing..Is mobile enough to buy time in the pocket and make plays with his feet...Can throw on the run...Hard worker...Very competitive...Team leader...A lot of experience...Has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:

Inconsistent with his accuracy..Mechanics need some refinement..Struggles under pressure and makes poor decisions...Does not read defenses well..Still raw and is probably a better athlete than quarterback...Could have some durability concerns.

Notes:

Was essentially a four-year starter...Missed time with a thumb injury that required surgery in '06..Has everything you look for in terms of physical tools as well as top intangibles...An extremely intriguing prospect with the talent to eventually start at the next level..Not a finished product and will require some patience but you have to love his potential..Appears to be the quintessential developmental signal caller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Comp Att Yds Comp % TD INT

2003 DNP - - - - - -

2004 9 115 236 1,328 48.7% 9 9

2005 12 233 375 2,663 62.1% 19 12

2006 6 59 101 635 58.4% 3 5

2007 12 257 439 3,063 58.5% 15 8

Totals 39 664 1,151 7,689 57.7% 46 34

I guess its just me then. For me, Brennen is a system quarterback and no better than a Kyle Wright.

I will defer to your guys opinion though. I'd rather have the athletic Josh Johnson.

Youre not alone. I dont think he will do anything in the NFL and agree he was a complete system quarterback.

You're not alone, AZ. I've seen Brennan play enough times that I strongly believe he has neither the talent nor durability to succeed in the NFL. If Angleo pins his hopes on Colt, Grossman, and Orton, the QB carousel will continue for at least 3 or 4 more years before the team can recover from the disaster.

On another note. I havent seen enough from Grossman or Orton with suitable weapons to say one of them cant be our future qb. I know a lot of people dont like Rex but you have to realize he had the same offensive line in front of him that completely shut down Benson and everyone else on our offense. We need a lot more consistency from our running, o line and wrs before we will know where we stand at the Qb position.

I've seen enough of Grossman for a lifetime thank you...

Orton, I have not. I would love tosee him get a legit chance to run the team. But we best draft a QB regardless...

Consitency is the theme for sure...

On another note. I havent seen enough from Grossman or Orton with suitable weapons to say one of them cant be our future qb. I know a lot of people dont like Rex but you have to realize he had the same offensive line in front of him that completely shut down Benson and everyone else on our offense. We need a lot more consistency from our running, o line and wrs before we will know where we stand at the Qb position.

You're not alone, AZ. I've seen Brennan play enough times that I strongly believe he has neither the talent nor durability to succeed in the NFL. If Angleo pins his hopes on Colt, Grossman, and Orton, the QB carousel will continue for at least 3 or 4 more years before the team can recover from the disaster.

What you're missing is that "AT BEST" were hoping to get a guy similar to Orton: A guy we can draft later who will maybe develop into a decent QB. Angelo WILL NOT be pinning his hopes on Colt, but he's pinning them on Orton & Grossman. A guy like Colt would just be a gamble on a guy who might develop. Chances are the coaching carousel will continue.

We need to draft TWO o-linemen fairly early, a running-back, at least one WR, a safety, and probably a defensive-tackle. With Orton & Rex still on the team, drafting a QB is more of a luxury then a necessity at this point, and none of the QB's in this draft are outstanding.

Bottom line: We will likely draft a 2nd tier QB: Whether it's Brennan, John David Booty, Erik Ainge, Paul Smith, Andre Woodsen, or Sam Keller. We won't be pinning our hopes on any of these guys, but we'll hope one of them could turn out to be great.