New Rules for 2008

adam

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The owners did pass several resolutions, including eliminating the forceout on receptions; allowing teams to defer their decision to the second half when winning the opening coin toss; and making field goals and extra points subject to replay review to determine whether the ball passes over the crossbar and through the uprights.

In addition, any direct snap from center that is untouched by the quarterback now will be a live ball; in the past it was considered a false start and the play was blown dead. The 5-yard penalty for incidental contact with a facemask has been eliminated, with the 15-yarder remaining for any grasping or twisting of the facemask.

On Tuesday, the owners approved a communication device in the helmet of one defensive player.

Some pretty good changes. The coin toss one is interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Some pretty good changes. The coin toss one is interesting.

The direct snap issue was necessary.

I love the face mask change. I always thought it was too often called in ticky tack plays.

The one thing I do not like is the pushout rule. While I understand why people have issues w/ some of the calls, I think it is a mistake to simply do away w/ the penalty all together.

The direct snap issue was necessary.

I love the face mask change. I always thought it was too often called in ticky tack plays.

The one thing I do not like is the pushout rule. While I understand why people have issues w/ some of the calls, I think it is a mistake to simply do away w/ the penalty all together.

Yeah the fask mask rule needed to be adjusted.

The problem with the pushout was there was no way to tell if the receiver would have gotten the other foot in. It was too much of a judgment call. I actually like the college rule of one foot better. I thought having something in between left too much up to the refs to decide.

But there are plenty of penalties that are pure judgement calls. You here all the time how there is holding on EVERY down, and it is simply up to the refs to decide how bad it is. WRs and DBs "bump" constantly, and a ref can call interference or holding on that, but use their judgement.

I love sideline plays, and how about fade routes to the corner of the endzone. Using a big WR to go up and catch the ball simply may not be as huge of a play now. Instead of the DB going up to battle for the ball w/ the WR, the DB can simply plant himself underneath, allow the WR to catch the ball, and then jack him out of bounds. If the WR is in the air, he has minimal control over his body, and it simply will not be that difficult for the DB to take him a yard or two one direction.

Further, I can see this increasing the potential for injury to the WR. Right now, the WR and DB go up and battle for the ball. I love that. W/ the rule change, the DB is less likely to battle, IMHO, and more likely to plant and drive. W/ the WR in the air, he is far more exposed and the potential for injury rises.

I don't know. I love sideline/corner endzone plays, and the battles for the ball you would see between the DB and WR. W/ the rule change, I think we will see fewer battles for the ball.

I heard the tailend of them explaining the pushout rule on tv and Im a little confused by something they said. Did anyone catch what theyre gonna do if someone catches a ball near the sideline and relatively gets caught and carried to the sideline and dropped out of bounds? I thought they said that would be the only exception, like if there is indisputable evidence that he would have caught it. Because if not I can see NFL safeties making a technique of doing that.

But there are plenty of penalties that are pure judgement calls. You here all the time how there is holding on EVERY down, and it is simply up to the refs to decide how bad it is. WRs and DBs "bump" constantly, and a ref can call interference or holding on that, but use their judgement.

I love sideline plays, and how about fade routes to the corner of the endzone. Using a big WR to go up and catch the ball simply may not be as huge of a play now. Instead of the DB going up to battle for the ball w/ the WR, the DB can simply plant himself underneath, allow the WR to catch the ball, and then jack him out of bounds. If the WR is in the air, he has minimal control over his body, and it simply will not be that difficult for the DB to take him a yard or two one direction.

Further, I can see this increasing the potential for injury to the WR. Right now, the WR and DB go up and battle for the ball. I love that. W/ the rule change, the DB is less likely to battle, IMHO, and more likely to plant and drive. W/ the WR in the air, he is far more exposed and the potential for injury rises.

I don't know. I love sideline/corner endzone plays, and the battles for the ball you would see between the DB and WR. W/ the rule change, I think we will see fewer battles for the ball.

I didn't look at it that way. The defender can just let the offensive guy jump up, and the defender can now actually catch him and carry/push him out of bounds.

I didn't look at it that way. The defender can just let the offensive guy jump up, and the defender can now actually catch him and carry/push him out of bounds.

I think I read where it would still be called if the DB "carried" the WR out of bounds. So I guess the DB can not catch the WR and run for the sideline (which would actually be funny as hell). But otherwise, yes. The DB can simply plant under the WR, and drive him several yards to force an incomplete pass. That would seem easier than going up to battle for the ball or try to knock it away.

I simply love the mid-air battles, and think we wil see fewer after this change.

Imagine a WR (likely not one of the bigger WR) going up and catching the ball. Now imagine a safety literally catching the WR, not allowing him to hit the ground, and carrying him out of bounds.

Not likely to happens w/ most WRs, but I think where you could see it is w/ some of the smaller WRs. Think about Jackson (in the draft) who I read ways around 165 lbs. That would not be so difficult for a 220 lb DB or even a 240 lb LB to catch him in the air, and essentially carry him a couple yards out of bounds.

By and large, I do not think we will see this too often. Today, WRs are simply bigger and stronger, and would be far more difficult to "carry".

On the other hand, if the WR is looking to make a play near the sideline, I can see the DB not even trying to go up for the ball w/ the WR, but simply planting underneath him and driving him out of bounds.

Imagine a WR (likely not one of the bigger WR) going up and catching the ball. Now imagine a safety literally catching the WR, not allowing him to hit the ground, and carrying him out of bounds.

Not likely to happens w/ most WRs, but I think where you could see it is w/ some of the smaller WRs. Think about Jackson (in the draft) who I read ways around 165 lbs. That would not be so difficult for a 220 lb DB or even a 240 lb LB to catch him in the air, and essentially carry him a couple yards out of bounds.

By and large, I do not think we will see this too often. Today, WRs are simply bigger and stronger, and would be far more difficult to "carry".

On the other hand, if the WR is looking to make a play near the sideline, I can see the DB not even trying to go up for the ball w/ the WR, but simply planting underneath him and driving him out of bounds.

That would be funny as hell. :cheers

I actually really like the rule. Basically because it gives more power to the defense... There are too many whimpy offensive rules as is. I have no problem with sticking it to the O. (And let's be honest, for the Bears...this is a HUGE benefit since we don't have an O) . It give more emphasis on the rushing attack... D and a running game...ah ...how nice. :D

I also like the face mask ruling. However, I do fear a bit of the ref's calling more 15 yard penalties than before. It's be interesting how it plays out.

Until last season, I wasn't even aware of the fumble issue. It's a good rule change.

I think I read where it would still be called if the DB "carried" the WR out of bounds. So I guess the DB can not catch the WR and run for the sideline (which would actually be funny as hell). But otherwise, yes. The DB can simply plant under the WR, and drive him several yards to force an incomplete pass. That would seem easier than going up to battle for the ball or try to knock it away.

I simply love the mid-air battles, and think we wil see fewer after this change.

Interesting that they have now decided to include FG and Extra Points as reviewable plays. I wish they would consider making penalties reviewable, as much as a missed call on things that are reviewable now, a critical blown penalty call or non call can be huge. Not sure how you could implement something like that but It would be nice if penalties could be challenged.

I'm iffy on the push out rule. But I think what they are getting at is eliminating the guess made by a Ref if the WR would have come down in bounds which is often hard to tell at best. I agree that it's probably going to lead to more DB's planting and driving. I think it's going to have big impact on red zone offenses. We'll know better when we one day get one.

With the Face mask penalty now being only the 15 yard variety. My question is are they eliminating the 5 yard minor face mask as in letting those go or are they simply saying any face mask incidental or major will be flagged for 15 yards. Which in my mind isn't going to decrease the frequency of it being called, it's just that now instead of a minor infraction (where you briefly grab and let go without pulling) will now not be 5 but 15 yards.

For quite a while now I've thought that the roughing the passer penalty should have a two tier penalty system like the face mask. There are times where the hit on the QB is very minor but still technically hitting him after the ball is released. Then there are the hits that are completely intentional.

Good points!

I agree with you on penalties. It should be like any other play. If one is called, then the other team should be able to challenge it. Same if one isn't called.

I like the new push out rule...more power to the D since they've been taking it away for the past 2 decades.

I worry that the face mask will be called a 15 yarder more often now... But, we'll see how it plays out.

I agree on the roughing too...but they won't do it because they are protecting the QB at all costs.

Another one I think they need to skew is PI. It's just too much. I think any PI should just be a 15 yard 1st down penalty. Throwing a bomb hoping for PA is just kind of lame. Seems like far too much yardage is given for al ot ticky tack calls a lot of times.

I also think holding is too much. I think it should be 5 yards instead of 10. I'd even be OK with a straight loss of down.

I think I'll stop there!

Interesting that they have now decided to include FG and Extra Points as reviewable plays. I wish they would consider making penalties reviewable, as much as a missed call on things that are reviewable now, a critical blown penalty call or non call can be huge. Not sure how you could implement something like that but It would be nice if penalties could be challenged.

I'm iffy on the push out rule. But I think what they are getting at is eliminating the guess made by a Ref if the WR would have come down in bounds which is often hard to tell at best. I agree that it's probably going to lead to more DB's planting and driving. I think it's going to have big impact on red zone offenses. We'll know better when we one day get one.

With the Face mask penalty now being only the 15 yard variety. My question is are they eliminating the 5 yard minor face mask as in letting those go or are they simply saying any face mask incidental or major will be flagged for 15 yards. Which in my mind isn't going to decrease the frequency of it being called, it's just that now instead of a minor infraction (where you briefly grab and let go without pulling) will now not be 5 but 15 yards.

For quite a while now I've thought that the roughing the passer penalty should have a two tier penalty system like the face mask. There are times where the hit on the QB is very minor but still technically hitting him after the ball is released. Then there are the hits that are completely intentional.

The push-out rule will not only impact redzone plays but will also make it harder to complete a game winning drive inside 2min. I like it because I think it gives more credence the first 58 min of the game. So many games are won late that these days that it's become a mantra to just stay close until the end. As other stated all most of the rule changes in the last decade have helped the offense now we have one that equalizes things for the D.

I still hate the ticky tack rules on how you can tackle a QB. The in the grasp rule needs to go away. It causes too much confusion and, like the push-out rule, it's way too much of a judgment call. Look at how Eli pulled away from a grasp in the Superbowl a great play. It's why I prefer to let the QBs fight to get out of a tackle if they want. If they don't want to fight they can fold up on first contact. If they want to throw a pass while getting tackled then so be it.