The idiocy of this staff continues...

GakMan23

I'm a bit surprised that nobody caught the error in that article. Brown isn't moving to FS, he's actually staying at FS, since that's where they started him last year. I agree that the safety positions aren't virtually interchangable, regardless of Lovie's statement. He's always feeding the media BS. AA was Strong because he's better against the run than trying to cover receivers, and Brown played Free because he can cover, and because the Bears hoped he might stay healthy by not getting into the pile as often.

As for citing sources, I'm not jumping on anybody, I'm just stating my preference. I always want to see pieces cited, preferably with the URL or link. There are many times folks paste an excerpt, and I want to go read the entire article without having to search all over for it. If the entire article is pasted, I want to know who authored it to judge it's credibility.

Giving the source is the best policy...

I always try to state where and also provide the link.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody caught the error in that article. Brown isn't moving to FS, he's actually staying at FS, since that's where they started him last year. I agree that the safety positions aren't virtually interchangable, regardless of Lovie's statement. He's always feeding the media BS. AA was Strong because he's better against the run than trying to cover receivers, and Brown played Free because he can cover, and because the Bears hoped he might stay healthy by not getting into the pile as often.

As for citing sources, I'm not jumping on anybody, I'm just stating my preference. I always want to see pieces cited, preferably with the URL or link. There are many times folks paste an excerpt, and I want to go read the entire article without having to search all over for it. If the entire article is pasted, I want to know who authored it to judge it's credibility.

I think it is a matter of theory v reality. In theory, you have two (healthy) Mike Browns. But was a great SS. He could play in the box, strong against the run, and cover the intermediate area. He wa also a great FS. Not the athleticism many crave, but the instincts and smarts to easily make up for the lack of athleticism. So if you had two Mike Browns on your team, then yes, your two safeties are interchangable.

In reality though, most safeties are better at one and weaker at the other. More are better in the box safeties, but struggle downfield v the pass, or are better centerfielders, but struggle in the box.

So I think in theory, Lovie believes the two positions are interchangable, but that theory is based on having two safeties who are simply that solid at both. In reality, those safeties simply do not grow on trees, and are harder to find.

Mike Brown is made of glass. Why would Lovie even hint at having DManning start at SS when he still needs to learn his main position, FS. Since DM is the only backup FS we have on the team giving him any snaps at all at SS is a stupid decision IMSO. He already has proven he does not have great football instincts and that's backed up by his wonderlic score and perhaps the fact he couldn't quailfy for a D1 school despite his athleticism. There's an expression that a tiger never changes his stripes, so we should quit expecting DManning to become something he's not. Keep things as simple as possible for him and let him focus on learning one job. I think eventually he'll be good at FS.

The fact Lovie comes out and states stuff like this publicly is why I think he's weak in how he handles demoting players. He feels like he has to throw this crap out to the public to help his player save face. OTOH you have decisions like last year when he demoted Alex Brown in the offseason instead of making it a camp competition. We just gave Brown a contract extension so you know how that worked out. I really wonder if Lovie is in touch with his players and knows them as well as he should. Film doesn't tell you everything you need to know in order to successfully manage players.