The idiocy of this staff continues...

GakMan23

There are fewer questions on defense, but Smith said he expects Mike Brown to move to free safety after playing strong safety last season. Brown has played free in the past.

The move could have ramifications for Manning, who is considered a better free safety than strong. Smith said he expects Manning to compete at strong safety with Brandon McGowan, Kevin Payne and Adam Archuleta. He also left open the possibility the Bears could add a safety in the coming months.

Unless Payne or McGowan are better Strong Safeties then Manning is Free safety this move makes no sense. They again are moving him to a new position as he starts to show improvement and get comfortable at FS.

There are fewer questions on defense, but Smith said he expects Mike Brown to move to free safety after playing strong safety last season. Brown has played free in the past.

The move could have ramifications for Manning, who is considered a better free safety than strong. Smith said he expects Manning to compete at strong safety with Brandon McGowan, Kevin Payne and Adam Archuleta. He also left open the possibility the Bears could add a safety in the coming months.

Unless Payne or McGowan are better Strong Safeties then Manning is Free safety this move makes no sense. They again are moving him to a new position as he starts to show improvement and get comfortable at FS.

I think the feeling is that McGowan AND Payne are better options than Manning. Frankly, manning may find himself the odd man out unless of course they let him handle some returns. I'm not sure I disagree with your opinion about the idiots on staff though.

Gak and Big Daddy...let me first respond and say...I too feel this staff's idiocy is not in question. They actually give idiots a bad name...

But I agree with Big Daddy that I really think Payne is going to be the man. Manning I think will end up being a very good back-up/nickel/dime guy... He's just not starter calibur.

I think the feeling is that McGowan AND Payne are better options than Manning. Frankly, manning may find himself the odd man out unless of course they let him handle some returns. I'm not sure I disagree with your opinion about the idiots on staff though.

Agree the staff is made up of idiots.

Disagree this move/decision is evidence of such.

DM was simply not good. I would absolutely agree the staff did him no favors w/ the continual position changes, but I would also say maybe a reason for the changes was his not showing expected development at any one position, and thus trying to move him around to find him a position.

DM is a great athlete, but I have not seem much by way of football play. Like drafting a track star to play WR. Nice idea, but doesn't always translate.

I think it is as simple as this. Brown at FS and Payne/McGowan at SS is simply a superior combo to DM at FS and Brown at SS. Further, I suspect the bears would like to move Brown to hopefully better limit his risk of injury.

I understand where you are coming from. But my point is this, If they think both Mcgowan and Payne are better then DM then they should leave him at FS so he can improve at the position as there are a few differents so that if Brown gets injured which wouldn't be a big stretch he is better prepared to replace him if need. Because by moving Brown back to FS they are basically stating both those guys are better then DM as per Lovie and other defensive heads, the safety positions are very simular under this system, so basically if that is the thought process, it's a nice way of demoting DM without admitting they were wrong when they picked a player not many had heard of multi rounds before he was supposed to be drafted.

Agree the staff is made up of idiots.

Disagree this move/decision is evidence of such.

DM was simply not good. I would absolutely agree the staff did him no favors w/ the continual position changes, but I would also say maybe a reason for the changes was his not showing expected development at any one position, and thus trying to move him around to find him a position.

DM is a great athlete, but I have not seem much by way of football play. Like drafting a track star to play WR. Nice idea, but doesn't always translate.

I think it is as simple as this. Brown at FS and Payne/McGowan at SS is simply a superior combo to DM at FS and Brown at SS. Further, I suspect the bears would like to move Brown to hopefully better limit his risk of injury.

I understand your logic, and in large part agree. What I believe the thinking may be is, by allowing DM a shot at SS, he has a shot to start, where as if they keep him at FS only, he is strictly a backup. While I do not always agree, the staff loves to talk about how the S positions in their scheme are interchangable. So you allow DM a shot at SS, and if he does well enough, maybe he starts. If not, I imagine he will spend the remainder of the season practicing at FS, where he would be the primary backup.

The bolded part is from the ChiTrib. When you're quoting a published source, please cite it.

Manning actually finished up the season at FS very good. McGowan was good as well, but I feel he is more suited for a backup/situational/special teams role. And I doubt Payne is anything more then a special teamer/backup. I was never really impressed with his play at SS.

Well, if Brown and McGowan are the starting safeties, we have arguably the most fragile safety duo in the NFL.

Also, you have to question how much speed Brown has lost...

With the system the Bears run there isnt that big of a difference in the safety positions. The two positions are almost interchangeable. I look at it like this. As long as Brown is healthy he will be on the field and Manning, Payne, McGowan and AA will compete for the other position and they have a few guys that can jump in and play either position if someone gets hurt. With RMJ and McBride there is no use for DMan at CB so all he can do is fight for the other safety spot or platoon in as a sub.

I just like to know if something is coming from a Chicago area Bears beat writer, some speculating Tampa Tribune columnist, or your ass. It ain't that difficult.

How would you like us to denote something is coming from our ass????

Peace :bears

I agree with Drunkbomber on this. Further, read the Suntimes article from today. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...mully03.article Lovie acknowledges that FS and SS are basically interchangable in his system.

I have read our staff and others say this plenty of times before, and I still say BS. Maybe on paper, if you have the perfect FS and SS, the two are interchangable, but I think in the real world, the two are rarely so similar.

Whether it fits in Angelo's perfect world or not, the FS is simply going to cover deep more often, while our SS is going to move up in the pocket more often. That means your FS needs better than average coverage ability, while your SS need better than average run support ability.

So basically, despite Angelo's perfect world, I would argue the two positions are in fact quite different.

I have read our staff and others say this plenty of times before, and I still say BS. Maybe on paper, if you have the perfect FS and SS, the two are interchangable, but I think in the real world, the two are rarely so similar.

Whether it fits in Angelo's perfect world or not, the FS is simply going to cover deep more often, while our SS is going to move up in the pocket more often. That means your FS needs better than average coverage ability, while your SS need better than average run support ability.

So basically, despite Angelo's perfect world, I would argue the two positions are in fact quite different.

Its a cover 2 zone defense. The only main difference is what side of the field theyre on unless one of them is blitzing. We dont play any kind of bump and run defense where our safeties are ever covering anybody 1 on 1. The only thing that they might change is flip flopping what side of the field theyre on based on a particular receiver that has matchup problems for them. Brown has flip flopped from strong to free his whole career and when healthy has had success at both. If it were that simole we could put Archuletta at the SS and not worry about his coverage liability.

I believe I have seen you say that about DM before. I think you would be in the minority in the belief DM finished very good. Yea, he had a ton of tackles in the last game, but maybe that has to do w/ so many completions on us. He had one pick after the bye (two total). His PDs are quite low as well.

I think DM has loads of athleticism, but he simply does not have the instincts, and I am not sure that is something that can be tought. He is the opposite of Brown, he really doesn't have great speed or athleticism, but has a brain that makes up for it.

As for Payne, how can you say you were never impressed w/ his play at SS? When did you see his play at SS? That I recall, we he went down w/ injury while Arch was still starting. I have no clue if he will start or not, or be more than a special teamer, but I question why you think so much of DM and think McGowan and Payne will be no more than teamers. Could it be that unless a 2nd day pick proves his mettle, you assume their ceiling is special teams, while assuming only the best for higher picks?

W/ regard to Brown's speed, I am not sure how much that matters. Speed was never why he excelled. He was great because of instinct, ability to read and predict plays, and a quick break. DM is the opposite. He is slow as hell to read/react, but his athleticism sometimes allows him to makeup the space.

Its a cover 2 zone defense. The only main difference is what side of the field theyre on unless one of them is blitzing. We dont play any kind of bump and run defense where our safeties are ever covering anybody 1 on 1. The only thing that they might change is flip flopping what side of the field theyre on based on a particular receiver that has matchup problems for them. Brown has flip flopped from strong to free his whole career and when healthy has had success at both. If it were that simole we could put Archuletta at the SS and not worry about his coverage liability.

One, I would argue we do not always play cover 2. Plently often I saw only one safety deep.

Two, the premise of a cover two has your CBs do bump, and often will then release to a safety who is playing over the top.

Three, while Brown has flipped from one side to the other, I would not say Brown is the norm. Brown is a player w/ the instincts and reactions to play FS, while also being one who tackles w/ power to play strong.

You seem to argue in support of the coaches theory, but then your final point seems to be a prime example to the opposite. Arch. Arch was our SS. Even if he did a good job in the box, does that mean he could ever play deep coverage?

The reality is, our FS does in fact play deep zone far more often than our SS, and our FS has to have superior coverage skills.

One, I would argue we do not always play cover 2. Plently often I saw only one safety deep.

Two, the premise of a cover two has your CBs do bump, and often will then release to a safety who is playing over the top.

Three, while Brown has flipped from one side to the other, I would not say Brown is the norm. Brown is a player w/ the instincts and reactions to play FS, while also being one who tackles w/ power to play strong.

You seem to argue in support of the coaches theory, but then your final point seems to be a prime example to the opposite. Arch. Arch was our SS. Even if he did a good job in the box, does that mean he could ever play deep coverage?

The reality is, our FS does in fact play deep zone far more often than our SS, and our FS has to have superior coverage skills.

I know its not the exact same position my point was more that Brown has the capability to play either effectively and the rest of them besides Manning are more suited for SS. So basically what I mean is Lovie wants to put Brown in the position that is relatively the last line of defense and have one of the other guys playing "ss" where theyre responsibility is more to stop the run. The two positions are close enough where everyone except for AA could play either and theyre saying he will be in there and the rest can compete for the other spot.

To be honest, still not sure we are on the same page. If we put McGowan at FS, I think he would more than stuggle.

I think in an ideal world, the two safeties are interchangable, but finding safeties who are truly so interchangable is simple no as easy. Brown is the only S on our roster who I think is interchangable. Payne is the only other one I think can be, but he is a long way in terms of development.

How would you like us to denote something is coming from our ass????

Basically, I just assume someone's making it up unless they give a cite/link. I'd read this article earlier today, but I don't read every Bears article every morning, so it'd be nice to know if something's credible.

Whatever, forget it, I guess I just didn't understand how astonishingly difficult it is to write "From the Trib" while copying and pasting. Carry on.

Basically, I just assume someone's making it up unless they give a cite/link. I'd read this article earlier today, but I don't read every Bears article every morning, so it'd be nice to know if something's credible.

Whatever, forget it, I guess I just didn't understand how astonishingly difficult it is to write "From the Trib" while copying and pasting. Carry on.

No problem. I was just giving you shit. From our previous site, we were either to supply the link or say where we got the article from.

From the other site, we credited the source to avoid legal issues, as well as to simply inform. Some of the board admins had indicated that if sources are used w/o citing them, those sources could create some problems for "our" website. May be unlikely, but better to be safe than sorry.