Parting with Benson

ostrogoth

Guest TerraTor
As a semi-side note to this...I think that Wolfe can be a solid contributor, and much more than a third-down back. Honestly, I don't see why everyone is so ready to quit on a guy who did nothing but look better than Benson and Peterson during his limited touches last year. I don't see why he can't produce like Warrick Dunn has produced throughout his career.

If anything, having a smaller, shiftier RB is a better option behind a line that opens up massive holes for DTs and DEs. Every time he got in the game last year he was making someone miss...that is, of course, when Turner wasn't calling the FB dive for a guy who is 180 lbs.

He puts on 5-10 lbs., and he's WARRICK FRIGGIN' DUNN.

Of course, if Warrick Dunn were drafted by Chicago, you guys would have hated him from the start because of his size. You would have called the pick horrible, and he would have despised Chicago. Then he would have been traded, like he has been, and he would have produced, like he has, and he would have thumbed his nose at all who said he wasn't fast enough, big enough, or strong enough.

I'd rather have him as a starting RB with AP or Benson acting as a third down back than the other way around. At least then we'd have a RB who can catch a ball out of the backfield and could possibly score from more than 20 yards out.

I really don't understand the Garrett Wolfe hatred going on around here. More power for his size than Benson or AP...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrAxuCxIgk8&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrAxuCxIgk8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrAxuCxIgk8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

...better moves BY FAR

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfCZf8375o&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfCZf8375o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfCZf8375o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

...and probably faster than either of the two.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Don't make me pull out the highlights of him busting Ohio State's ass!

Nothing against Wolfe, cuz hes a tuff little guy, but we unfortunately cant run 20-25 screen passes a game

Yeah but two or three good ones will open up the passing game give Rex time to do what he does best.

The problem with that is if Rex is starting he probably won't be able to see the running back over his linemen or he will be backpedalling into a sack. :banghead

If Wolfe is going to be another Dunn, then he has to be effective up the middle. Warrick has crashed the line countless times in his career, and that set up his other plays. Terra is correct that if Wolfe is only used on screens, running wide, and other plays that keep him in space, Ds will key on that and shut him down.

Personally Benson has been a huge disappointment to me. There was so much hype when we drafted him as high as we did and all he has done is gotten hurt and really not shown any heart nor desire to play this game. You would think that if these perspective players have any knowledge about the NFL, that they would be excited as all get out to be part of the original franchise of the league and want to do anything and everything possible within their abilities to perform at a top level all the time. Unfortunately the players of today are overly catered to and they do not understand what hard work means or how to be a true teammate. I hope that JA finds someone worth a damn either via FA or in the draft that makes it a competition going into training camp and may the best back win. Besides McFadden in the draft, I do not know what is out there however, Benson is continuing to be a disappointment and at this point it may just be better to move him on and find someone who hopefully wants to be here and part of a team.

If Wolfe is going to be another Dunn, then he has to be effective up the middle. Warrick has crashed the line countless times in his career, and that set up his other plays. Terra is correct that if Wolfe is only used on screens, running wide, and other plays that keep him in space, Ds will key on that and shut him down.

Agreed. And if you look at the first video I posted, he has the ability to bounce off of would-be-tacklers.

What he doesn't have the ability to do, however, and very few RBs in NFL history have this ability, is to bounce off one or two DT/DEs in the backfield. You gotta let a guy build up some steam.

Warrick Dunn has never been a bruiser. Hell, I'd say he isn't really all that effective between the tackles. HOWEVER, he is dangerous enough if there is a hole there to squirt through and make a big play. I believe that Wolfe has this same ability, tenacity, and strength...especially after looking at his college highlights.

Which makes the selection of OL in the first, and possibly second, that much more important and necessary.

Besides McFadden in the draft, I do not know what is out there however, Benson is continuing to be a disappointment and at this point it may just be better to move him on and find someone who hopefully wants to be here and part of a team.

Rashard Mendenhall

Felix Jones

Kevin Smith

Jonathan Stewart

all good RB's IMO

Nothing against Wolfe, cuz hes a tuff little guy, but we unfortunately cant run 20-25 screen passes a game

Also agreed.

However, if he were given the 20-25 touches a game that Benson is supposed to get being the number one back, there is no doubt in my mind he would be more effective with this current OL. He'd find more room, more holes, more cutbacks, and more opportunities. And, eventually, he'd break some huge plays. Benson? 3-4yards, fall down.

If the Bears upgrade their OL, then I think you have to give Benson a different look. He'd hit the 2nd and 3rd lines of defense enough to wear them down, and demoralize them...and that's when the effect of a running team takes over. Of course, I think if you put Wolfe behind a good OL, he'd put up good numbers too...but it wouldn't have the same effect.