Parting with Benson

ostrogoth

The Chicago Sun Times believes that the Bears are more likely to cut ties with Cedric Benson this offseason than Garrett Wolfe.

Admitting mistakes isn't GM Jerry Angelo's strongsuit, so a three-year old error would be a bit easier to deal with than a one-year old admission. Wolfe still has potential, but is unlikely to be higher than third on the depth chart.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Long-term contract discussions between the Bears and DT Tommie Harris have broken off.

Getting him locked up is still the Bears' priority, but Harris and his agent (Drew Rosenhaus) are asking for record money. Chicago is thought to have offered more than the seven years, $50.5 million Tommy Kelly got. Harris is taking part in the offseason program, so he doesn't seem too disappointed

Robbie Gould has been staying away from the Bears' offseason program.

Gould is in the last year of his rookie contract. The Bears are interested in signing him long term, but Tommie Harris and Devin Hester may come first.

Interesting...

Not sure if this is just BS, but it does make some sense.

The Chicago Sun Times believes that the Bears are more likely to cut ties with Cedric Benson this offseason than Garrett Wolfe.

Admitting mistakes isn't GM Jerry Angelo's strongsuit, so a three-year old error would be a bit easier to deal with than a one-year old admission. Wolfe still has potential, but is unlikely to be higher than third on the depth chart.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Long-term contract discussions between the Bears and DT Tommie Harris have broken off.

Getting him locked up is still the Bears' priority, but Harris and his agent (Drew Rosenhaus) are asking for record money. Chicago is thought to have offered more than the seven years, $50.5 million Tommy Kelly got. Harris is taking part in the offseason program, so he doesn't seem too disappointed

Robbie Gould has been staying away from the Bears' offseason program.

Gould is in the last year of his rookie contract. The Bears are interested in signing him long term, but Tommie Harris and Devin Hester may come first.

Not BS or truth. There is no mention of "sources inside Halas" or anything like that. It is simply the opinion of a writer. Nothing more.

Frankly, I would strongly disagree. The logic used is a bit simplistic. Easier to admit error after three years than one. Okay, that may be true if all things were equal, but they are not close to being so.

Benson was a top 5 pick compared to Wolfe's late 3rd status. I would argue it is far easier to admit error on a late 3rd round pick than on a guy picked a few spots prior to the end of the day.

Contract is also a factor, whether we as fans like it or not. I do not know that contract status of Wolfe, but based on where he was drafted, I would have to believe the cost of cutting him lose would be near zero. On the other hand, we would take a cap hit for cutting Benson lose.

Finally, I would point to the potential of either. If you put Wolfe behind a solid OL, does anyone here truly believe he could be a legit starter? Wolfe is a 3rd down back/ special teams player. That is his ceiling. Opinions differ, but even now, I would argue the ceiling/potential for Benson is still greater than that of Wolfe.

If Wolfe were thought more of, why would we be talking about drafting a RB this year? If we were so high on Wolfe, why not just let him compete for the starting job? The answer is Wolfe is simply not a starter, and was a mistake the moment we drafted him.

To me, Benson is a lock. Any day one RB we draft is a lock. The only questions are (a) do we keep 4 RBs on the roster and (B) if not, will it be AP or Wolfe to hit the door. Frankly, if we drafted a RB high (1st two rounds) I could see AP hitting the door. Lovie would be against it, but to me, it would make more sense. AP, not Benson, is the player Wolfe would be competing w/ for PT.

Good points...

I actually foresee a trade more than anything if we were going to be heading down this general road of getting rid of Benson. I could see a Denver taking him for a late round pick...

Not BS or truth. There is no mention of "sources inside Halas" or anything like that. It is simply the opinion of a writer. Nothing more.

Frankly, I would strongly disagree. The logic used is a bit simplistic. Easier to admit error after three years than one. Okay, that may be true if all things were equal, but they are not close to being so.

Benson was a top 5 pick compared to Wolfe's late 3rd status. I would argue it is far easier to admit error on a late 3rd round pick than on a guy picked a few spots prior to the end of the day.

Contract is also a factor, whether we as fans like it or not. I do not know that contract status of Wolfe, but based on where he was drafted, I would have to believe the cost of cutting him lose would be near zero. On the other hand, we would take a cap hit for cutting Benson lose.

Finally, I would point to the potential of either. If you put Wolfe behind a solid OL, does anyone here truly believe he could be a legit starter? Wolfe is a 3rd down back/ special teams player. That is his ceiling. Opinions differ, but even now, I would argue the ceiling/potential for Benson is still greater than that of Wolfe.

If Wolfe were thought more of, why would we be talking about drafting a RB this year? If we were so high on Wolfe, why not just let him compete for the starting job? The answer is Wolfe is simply not a starter, and was a mistake the moment we drafted him.

To me, Benson is a lock. Any day one RB we draft is a lock. The only questions are (a) do we keep 4 RBs on the roster and (B) if not, will it be AP or Wolfe to hit the door. Frankly, if we drafted a RB high (1st two rounds) I could see AP hitting the door. Lovie would be against it, but to me, it would make more sense. AP, not Benson, is the player Wolfe would be competing w/ for PT.

Good points...

I actually foresee a trade more than anything if we were going to be heading down this general road of getting rid of Benson. I could see a Denver taking him for a late round pick...

Someone who knows the system better than I can chime in also...but I think it's also the case that trading Benson would render the Bears a big cap hit this season as well.

I think the cap related reality is that Benson gets one last chance. Cutting him costs the Bears cap space, trading him costs the Bears cap space. Neither one is a smart option with how the league's cap is built.

Keeping Benson in the starting line up seems to be costing us wins if he continues to perform on the pace he's on. No win situation, I would rather be done with him then suffer through another year.

I think we keep 4 RB's Benson, Rookie, Wolfe and regulate Peterson to special teams only I cant remember the article but I think I read an article stating this. Wolfe I dont think was a mistake Benson failure made Wolfe inept. If Benson was the beast RB he was supposed to be, then Wolfe would have came in been a very good 3rd down change of pace back but asking for him to be and every down back I dont think JA had that in mind when drafting Wolfe. The best thing is bring in *REAL* competition for him see if it drives him if not cut your loses but the back up plan is in place.

Devils advocate.

I think the cap is a factor, but I would argue it is far from the deciding factor. Some years back, Angelo had no problem cutting Cade McNown, even though the move meant taking a cap hit. I would further point out that our cap situation then was far worse than now, and we were less in a position to eat the money. And we still made the move.

When we traded Booker for Wale, we did so shortly after signing Booker to a new deal. I do not recall the specifics, but I believe we did take a cap hit for trading Booker.

I do not know what the cap hit would be. If it were to be $10m, that obviously would make a deal nearly impossible, but I have not heard anything to lead me to that belief. If it were $3m or less, it would hurt, but may not be the ultimate deterant.

IMHO, the cap is a factor, but draft position and potential are greater factors. When we drafted Wolfe, I do not believe we ever envisioned him as a starter. He is a 3rd down back w/ potential use on special teams as well. To me, AP is his competition, not Benson.

Think about how we have dealt w/ Rex. Rex has been given opportunity after opportunity, and even now, he will get yet another opportunity. Benson played w/ TJ for two years, and then got his opportunity, but got that opportunity when the entire offense fell apart. I think Angelo want to, at minimum, give Benson one more year w/ an upgraded offense, and then decide how to move on from there.

You're probably right. I think Benson is here for one more (last) year. I think the only way you'd see otherwise is if we did indeed draft a HR hitter in the 1st like McFadden or Mendenhall... Even then, I'm not so sure Benson isn't around.

Like you were saying, this is just speculation from a writer...nothing more , nothing less.

Devils advocate.

I think the cap is a factor, but I would argue it is far from the deciding factor. Some years back, Angelo had no problem cutting Cade McNown, even though the move meant taking a cap hit. I would further point out that our cap situation then was far worse than now, and we were less in a position to eat the money. And we still made the move.

When we traded Booker for Wale, we did so shortly after signing Booker to a new deal. I do not recall the specifics, but I believe we did take a cap hit for trading Booker.

I do not know what the cap hit would be. If it were to be $10m, that obviously would make a deal nearly impossible, but I have not heard anything to lead me to that belief. If it were $3m or less, it would hurt, but may not be the ultimate deterant.

IMHO, the cap is a factor, but draft position and potential are greater factors. When we drafted Wolfe, I do not believe we ever envisioned him as a starter. He is a 3rd down back w/ potential use on special teams as well. To me, AP is his competition, not Benson.

Think about how we have dealt w/ Rex. Rex has been given opportunity after opportunity, and even now, he will get yet another opportunity. Benson played w/ TJ for two years, and then got his opportunity, but got that opportunity when the entire offense fell apart. I think Angelo want to, at minimum, give Benson one more year w/ an upgraded offense, and then decide how to move on from there.

I just don't see 4... We have too many holes in the secondary and O line to have that many players wrapped up in one position. Unless they were to experiment with Wolfe as a Gentry-like WR...

I think we keep 4 RB's Benson, Rookie, Wolfe and regulate Peterson to special teams only I cant remember the article but I think I read an article stating this. Wolfe I dont think was a mistake Benson failure made Wolfe inept. If Benson was the beast RB he was supposed to be, then Wolfe would have came in been a very good 3rd down change of pace back but asking for him to be and every down back I dont think JA had that in mind when drafting Wolfe. The best thing is bring in *REAL* competition for him see if it drives him if not cut your loses but the back up plan is in place.

You're probably right Nfo. Wolfe probably will always be a third down back. And I just can't see us gettig rid of our best ST player in AP, especially after wer lost some guys in that unit. Benso is going to get another chance this year to prove he can do it. And I think the speculation about drafting an RB on day one comes from all those who have written Benson off as a bust. I don't think Lovie or JA have done that yet.

I just don't see 4... We have too many holes in the secondary and O line to have that many players wrapped up in one position. Unless they were to experiment with Wolfe as a Gentry-like WR...

They will carry 4 RBs but Peterson will be your special teams ace. Brendon is gone and AP will take his role going forward. Lovie 'loves' him and I do not seeing him going anywhere.

Peace :dabears

Someone who knows the system better than I can chime in also...but I think it's also the case that trading Benson would render the Bears a big cap hit this season as well.

I think the cap related reality is that Benson gets one last chance. Cutting him costs the Bears cap space, trading him costs the Bears cap space. Neither one is a smart option with how the league's cap is built.

IIRC, there would be about a $1.75M cap hit if Benson is cut/traded this year.

As a semi-side note to this...I think that Wolfe can be a solid contributor, and much more than a third-down back. Honestly, I don't see why everyone is so ready to quit on a guy who did nothing but look better than Benson and Peterson during his limited touches last year. I don't see why he can't produce like Warrick Dunn has produced throughout his career.

If anything, having a smaller, shiftier RB is a better option behind a line that opens up massive holes for DTs and DEs. Every time he got in the game last year he was making someone miss...that is, of course, when Turner wasn't calling the FB dive for a guy who is 180 lbs.

He puts on 5-10 lbs., and he's WARRICK FRIGGIN' DUNN.

Of course, if Warrick Dunn were drafted by Chicago, you guys would have hated him from the start because of his size. You would have called the pick horrible, and he would have despised Chicago. Then he would have been traded, like he has been, and he would have produced, like he has, and he would have thumbed his nose at all who said he wasn't fast enough, big enough, or strong enough.

I'd rather have him as a starting RB with AP or Benson acting as a third down back than the other way around. At least then we'd have a RB who can catch a ball out of the backfield and could possibly score from more than 20 yards out.

I really don't understand the Garrett Wolfe hatred going on around here. More power for his size than Benson or AP...

...better moves BY FAR

...and probably faster than either of the two.

Don't make me pull out the highlights of him busting Ohio State's ass!

I swear it's the coaches... Running Wolfe up the middle on our own goal line is just silly.

man, I totally agree with you. I think G Wolfe is the most athletic back we've had in awhile.

The only reason people hate him is cause the oline sucked and he can't break a tackle in the backfield and the coaches don't understand how to use people right.

lol I have always been pro coaches, but I'm starting to turn on those guys. Its a big year for them I think.

Whether they're perfect or not, it would take an awful lot for me to say that the Bears need to switch coaches only 2 years after a Super Bowl run.

Overall, I think the impact that a coach has on a team is often vastly overestimated. They have to be either REALLY bad or REALLY good before they can have more of an impact than the players on the field.

I swear it's the coaches... Running Wolfe up the middle on our own goal line is just silly.

That drove me freaking nuts. Running wolfe up the middle with a very shitty OL against 2 of the best run stuffing DTs in the league inside our own 5 yard line? how freakin retarded is that. I think if used properly, Wolfe can be a very valuable contributor but as long as Turner keeps on insisting on running him up the middle like that, I have serious doubt he'll be used correctly.

But I guess there is hope. Wolfe did have some nice screens and catches out of the backfield at the end of the season.

Whether they're perfect or not, it would take an awful lot for me to say that the Bears need to switch coaches only 2 years after a Super Bowl run.

Overall, I think the impact that a coach has on a team is often vastly overestimated. They have to be either REALLY bad or REALLY good before they can have more of an impact than the players on the field.

Man, last year that was my big argument in favor of the coaches. I'm a high school football coach myself so I'm usually going to side with them, but they made alot of illogical personnel moves, they didn't call very good games, and the player development has not been very good at all.

I'm not all the way to the other side yet, but the coaches really need a good year as far as player development, playing to the players strengths, and calling games.

Guest TerraTor

Having Benson on the team costs us alot more than cap space. Hes a joke. Slow, unmotivated, unwanted, disliked, and lacks any heart or passion for the game, cut him or trade him and lick your wounds.