2008 Bears Draft Question

adam

Play Jerry Angelo for a day  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If ALL the following players are available at #14, who would you select?

• Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    • Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    • Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
    • Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
    • Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St
    • Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
    • Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
    • Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
    • Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
    • Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

So if all things were equal, and you could choose one player at #14, who is it and why? Which Offensive Lineman fits the Bears the best? Would RB or WR be the best choice? Who is the best available at #14? I understand that ALL of them would not be available at #14, but more than likely a combination of them will be.

I know you throw out there that not all will be available, but that touches on the one issue I have w/ the poll. If all these players were available, I would take Ryan. Clady would be next. But that is the problem. While anything can happen in the draft, I think it a massive reach to believe either of these two players fall to us.

So w/ that said, I voted for Albert, who among those I believe will be available, is tops on my list.

I know you throw out there that not all will be available, but that touches on the one issue I have w/ the poll. If all these players were available, I would take Ryan. Clady would be next. But that is the problem. While anything can happen in the draft, I think it a massive reach to believe either of these two players fall to us.

So w/ that said, I voted for Albert, who among those I believe will be available, is tops on my list.

Albert has been getting some serious looks from the Chiefs I've read. They don't think Clady can fit their scheme either. Also, the Panthers have been pretty high on Albert as well.

So... Clady won't make it past the Broncos. If the Chiefs can't trade down I think they go with Albert. That then leaves Williams and Otah. Williams would probably be the pick for Carolina, so that leaves Otah, in terms of OLinemen. And from what I've read, the Bears have very little interest in Otah. So, if Mendenhall is there, odds are he's the pick. However, hopefully if the top OLinemen are gone, we can trade down. I like Mendenhall, but I think spending a 1st rounder a RB when we have so many other needs is stupid.

With that being said, there's a 95% chance Clady won't be at 14, so I went with Albert (who has a better shot, IMO, of being there). We could possibly trade up with lets say Buffalo for Clady if he's there at 11, but it really isn't JA's style to trade up. The Thomas Jones trade doesn't really count either, as I think the whole intention of that trade was to eventually trade down anyway... unless someone we couldn't pass up was there.

Maybe a better way to ask it is how would you rank these players on the Bears draft board, regardless of the odds that they will be there at #14? That takes the guessing out of who you would pick.

I thihk you're voting too tricky... I think when prohet said , show would you rank them in a later post...I think that's what he meant.

Of the group listed, who do you have ranked highest....

For me it is Ryan as well.

So if all things were equal, and you could choose one player at #14, who is it and why? Which Offensive Lineman fits the Bears the best? Would RB or WR be the best choice? Who is the best available at #14? I understand that ALL of them would not be available at #14, but more than likely a combination of them will be.

I myself have to take Otah for several reasons- #1 we desperatley need help on the oline. If this oline does not improve no matter who we plays at qb, rb, wr. this offense will go nowhere much like last year. #2 Clady seems to intrigue me and has a high ceiling. With great coaching and player development he is a definatley a worth while pick at 14.

Unfortionatley the bears have neither on offense and Otah is a pluggin player with minor technique problems that can be corrected in camp. #3 yea will miss the top 2 to 3 rb's in the first round. But in the second rd I feel that this class is deep and should pick a decent RB who could challenge Benson for his job if needed too.

Where have you read/heard the bears are not interested in Otah? We brought him in for a visit, and sent "supposedly" our some of our name guys to his pro day workout. It seems like just about every mock out there has us taking him. Just curious where you read, or what you read/heard, as I can't recall reading anything like that (our not having interest in Otah).

As I said in my post, Ryan would be tops, w/ Clady next, but I am sorry. I still don't see the point. Hey, I would rank Jake Scott ahead of them all. I would rank McFadden up there too.

So while I sort of get the response, I still don't see the point in ranking players no one thinks will fall to us, especially when all we are doing is choosing one player.

As I said in my post, Ryan would be tops, w/ Clady next, but I am sorry. I still don't see the point. Hey, I would rank Jake Scott ahead of them all. I would rank McFadden up there too.

So while I sort of get the response, I still don't see the point in ranking players no one thinks will fall to us, especially when all we are doing is choosing one player.

Jake Scott the G from Indy who signed with Tennessee? Nah, I think I'd rather have Jake Long. (just busting)

There are some guys that have about a 0.00001% of falling to us at 14, and would have to be convicted of some Pacman crime to get there. So I just took those guys out while still including a couple of long shots. The point was, if Clady, Ryan, and Mendenhall are there at 14, who would you take?

Now if you believe there is no chance in hell that either will be there, then excluding them, who is your next pick?

Prophet is stacking the deck...but it was a legit question. And it's possible some of those guys slide. Look what happened with Quinn last year...Leinart before that,etc...

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

But, I did notice in your initial post who you thought (Ryan, Clady...)...but your actual vote was for something different. If I were a judge, I'd say you're not making a verdict on the case at hand,.....

QBs have fallen, as you point out w/ Leinart and Quinn, but those were the 2nd QBs, not the first. I would argue it is far less likely when talking about the top QB falling in the draft, particularly when so many QB needy teams are in the top 10.

As for my vote, I voted based on the players I felt were "possible" to fall to us. IMHO, to vote for Ryan or Clady is simply a wasted vote. It is like a Democrate voting for Gore to be president. It just is not going to happen, and is a wasted vote.

The point was, if Clady, Ryan, and Mendenhall are there at 14, who would you take?

Ryan, and I would argue w/ anyone all day who would argue other. While we do not have an OL in a position to help the QB, at the same time, there is not a single position in football harder to find than a franchise QB, especially for this franchise. If we have a franchise QB fall into our laps, we would be idiots to pass.

Now if you believe there is no chance in hell that either will be there, then excluding them, who is your next pick?

Albert. I was high on his some time back, and was then blasted for how bad of a reach he would be. I was really shredded for even throwing out the idea of Albert at 14. Now it is questionable whether he even falls to us. I have seen more and more talk about KC being very high on him, and could be looking at him over Clady. Also read NE is high on Albert, as are Buffalo and Carolina.

I truly believe Albert is this years version of Dwight Freeney, at least for me. Then, I remember talking about Freeney at a point when I was blasted, as most felt he would be a reach w/ our 29th pick. I said he would not only be a good draft day value, but would be a perfect fit in our system at a position of need. Soon after, there was talk about a few other teams immediately in front of us looking at him. Then Indy freaking takes his near top 10 range, and the player who was once considered a reach w/ our pick went 18 slots ahead of us.

I feel similar w/ Albert, and now envision a situation where he goes a full 11 picks in front of us. More and more, I think KC will take him. While Clady is considered the higher grade, Albert is a better fit in their system, and that very well could affect how "their board" grades him.

I understand your perspective, but I think you still changed the rules to fit what you wanted, not the question at hand.

No worries! :cheers

QBs have fallen, as you point out w/ Leinart and Quinn, but those were the 2nd QBs, not the first. I would argue it is far less likely when talking about the top QB falling in the draft, particularly when so many QB needy teams are in the top 10.

As for my vote, I voted based on the players I felt were "possible" to fall to us. IMHO, to vote for Ryan or Clady is simply a wasted vote. It is like a Democrate voting for Gore to be president. It just is not going to happen, and is a wasted vote.

I understand your perspective, but I think you still changed the rules to fit what you wanted, not the question at hand.

And? What's wrong w/ that:)

And I would say I "bent" the rules. Not changed them. Nothing wrong w/ bending the rules, so long as the rule doesn't snap. And even if that happens, you can always find a way to pass the buck :rolleyes:

I would also like to add, it appears to me, many others agree.

There are 4 votes for Chris Williams. 2 for Otah. 8 for Albert. 2 for Mendy. And 1 for Stewart.

I have a hard time believing that if we were truly in position to draft Ryan, 17 people would choose the above over Ryan. Heck, I question whether all 16 who picked Clady would truly take Clady over Ryan, or whether they simply feel there is a small chance Clady is there, and thus a legit vote, while not believing the same about Ryan.

Hey, I like Clady. A lot. But in this draft, there is a question of Long v Ryan. I am not sure there is a question of Clady v Ryan.

IMHO, most avoided voting for Ryan, not because they would pass on him, but because they do not view him as a legit option, and thus feel their vote would be a waste.

I would tend to agree.

Long over Ryan, no problem. But Clady I think is a reach over Ryan.

I think you are probably correct in that assessment...

I would also like to add, it appears to me, many others agree.

There are 4 votes for Chris Williams. 2 for Otah. 8 for Albert. 2 for Mendy. And 1 for Stewart.

I have a hard time believing that if we were truly in position to draft Ryan, 17 people would choose the above over Ryan. Heck, I question whether all 16 who picked Clady would truly take Clady over Ryan, or whether they simply feel there is a small chance Clady is there, and thus a legit vote, while not believing the same about Ryan.

Hey, I like Clady. A lot. But in this draft, there is a question of Long v Ryan. I am not sure there is a question of Clady v Ryan.

IMHO, most avoided voting for Ryan, not because they would pass on him, but because they do not view him as a legit option, and thus feel their vote would be a waste.

Ryan, and I would argue w/ anyone all day who would argue other. While we do not have an OL in a position to help the QB, at the same time, there is not a single position in football harder to find than a franchise QB, especially for this franchise. If we have a franchise QB fall into our laps, we would be idiots to pass.

Albert. I was high on his some time back, and was then blasted for how bad of a reach he would be. I was really shredded for even throwing out the idea of Albert at 14. Now it is questionable whether he even falls to us. I have seen more and more talk about KC being very high on him, and could be looking at him over Clady. Also read NE is high on Albert, as are Buffalo and Carolina.

I truly believe Albert is this years version of Dwight Freeney, at least for me. Then, I remember talking about Freeney at a point when I was blasted, as most felt he would be a reach w/ our 29th pick. I said he would not only be a good draft day value, but would be a perfect fit in our system at a position of need. Soon after, there was talk about a few other teams immediately in front of us looking at him. Then Indy freaking takes his near top 10 range, and the player who was once considered a reach w/ our pick went 18 slots ahead of us.

I feel similar w/ Albert, and now envision a situation where he goes a full 11 picks in front of us. More and more, I think KC will take him. While Clady is considered the higher grade, Albert is a better fit in their system, and that very well could affect how "their board" grades him.

You answered everything to a "t". Ryan would be your pick of the group if he was available, even if it is an extreme longshot. Then if Ryan/Clady are gone you would take Albert over Otah/Williams/Mendenhall/Stewart.

So the next question is (to everyone), what does your big board look like if you are JA? Regardless if they will be there or not at 14, list your top 15 picks based on the Bears current team needs. Is Jake Long #1 on your big board? Where is McFadden, etc.

I would tend to agree.

Long over Ryan, no problem. But Clady I think is a reach over Ryan.

I think you are probably correct in that assessment...

Clady vs Ryan would be a hard decision. I think if both are available at 14, I would go with Ryan. Reasoning: If Clady is available, more than likely Williams, Otah, etc are all still available as well. Making it possible to still pick up quality OL in the 2nd round.

So the next question is (to everyone), what does your big board look like if you are JA? Regardless if they will be there or not at 14, list your top 15 picks based on the Bears current team needs. Is Jake Long #1 on your big board? Where is McFadden, etc.

I will be honest. I am not on top of some positions as much as others, due to not looking hard at players we have no shot at, or do not fill a need, but just for fun....

1. Jake Long - Stud LT, and may be among the safest picks in the draft.

2. Matt Ryan - May not be as great of a prospect as some others, but QBs get elevated in the process, especially for us.

3. Chris Long - Some would argue Dorsey, but I think Long has nearly as much upside, w/ a higher floor.

4. Dorsey - What an interior he and Harris would make.

5. McFadden - Next AP? Don't know about that, but a potential stud RB.

6. Clady - Not quite at the level of Long, but a potential stud LT

7. Albert - I have him rated this high. I think his upside may be as great as any, and his floor could be higher than any minus Long.

8. Ellis - Another interior guy I would love to pair w/ Harris

9. Gholston - Not sure how to rank him for us. Top prospect, but really should be in a 3-4, and likely lower on our list than others.

10. Otah - Best run blocker in the draft? For a team that gets off the bus running, this would be a great pick.

11. Rivers - LB class may not be great, but he is.

12. McKelvin - Best CB prospect in the draft, and a damn good one too.

13. Chris Williams - If this were based w/o need, he "might" be a tad lower, but our board has to factor need and fit, so here he is.

14. Stewart - Mendy is the board favorite, but I think Stewart may well be better. Injury doesn't seem to be bothering many.

15. Mendy - I have numerous OL ahead of him, but no doubt he is top 15 value.

BIG BOARD (JA)

1. Jake Long - He is a bonafide stud

2. Chris Long - I just can't pass on this guy...we're not in dire need, but Ogun ain't getting any younger.

3. Matt Ryan - It's all a crap shoot anyway, and this guy looks to have some amazing skills...

4. Glenn Dorsey - I think with the Tommie issues with contract and injury, it can't hurt to stud-up at DT

5. Darren McFadden - I'm scared...there's too much character issue, but he's just too good.

6. Vernon Gholston - Again, I'm hesitant on a DE, but this guy is just too talented.

7. Rashard Mendenhall - Top ten...bingo!

8. Ryan Clady - OK, I will say it was honestly tough to but Mendenhall above him, but I'm more sold on Mendenhall if you haven't noticed

9. Leodis McKlevin - Seems like a good CB - maybe we play with Peanut going to S?

10. Devin THomas - Man, again I'm a bit hesitant...but he does seem darn good.

11. Jeff Otah - I just like him ever so better than WIlliams

12. Chris WIlliams - seems like the real deal...I'm just not fully sold

13. Brandon Albert - looks good

14. Keith Rivers - Maybe we bolster up the LB crew...

15. D Rodgers-Cromartie - Too many names! But he's good....

You answered everything to a "t". Ryan would be your pick of the group if he was available, even if it is an extreme longshot. Then if Ryan/Clady are gone you would take Albert over Otah/Williams/Mendenhall/Stewart.