Saftey Zbikowski visits bears

GakMan23

Interestingly he seems a little concerned about the saftey position, but that the draft is kinda weak for it.

Bears | Zbikowski scheduled to visit with team

Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:49:00 -0700

Vaughn McClure, of ChicagoSports.com, reports Notre Dame S Tom Zbikowski is scheduled to visit with the Chicago Bears at Halas Hall Wednesday, April 16. Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said this year's class of safeties is anemic but the team could use help at the position. Zbikowski is capable of contributing on special teams.

Interestingly he seems a little concerned about the saftey position, but that the draft is kinda weak for it.

Vaughn McClure, of ChicagoSports.com, reports Notre Dame S Tom Zbikowski is scheduled to visit with the Chicago Bears at Halas Hall Wednesday, April 16. Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said this year's class of safeties is anemic but the team could use help at the position. Zbikowski is capable of contributing on special teams.

Pass. I saw him play in person this yr against Navy. He is too slow.

Peace :dabears

I think the safeties we currently have on the roster will be the ones we open up with... with Manning being demoted to bench and and Brown being named the starter at FS, it seems likely it will be an open competition for SS between McGowan, Payne, and Archuletta. If we had no intention of keeping Arch, I would think he'd would have been long gone by now. And we all know McGowan and Payne are going to make the team. If we add any help, it will be some project in the 7th round and be a possibly PS guy.

I think the safeties we currently have on the roster will be the ones we open up with... with Manning being demoted to bench and and Brown being named the starter at FS, it seems likely it will be an open competition for SS between McGowan, Payne, and Archuletta. If we had no intention of keeping Arch, I would think he'd would have been long gone by now. And we all know McGowan and Payne are going to make the team. If we add any help, it will be some project in the 7th round and be a possibly PS guy.

Given Brown's history I wouldn't do this, but I think it's also possible that the safeties on the roster are the ones the Bears open with AND they draft a new one....and use their IR/Redshirt year trick on him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bears uniform. He's tough, has a good head, hits fairly well, and can be used on special teams - specifically as an up-man when teams try to pooch short to avoid Hester.

The one down side, however, is that he's slow. He just doesn't seem to have the top-end speed to keep up with the WRs. If he bites the wrong way on a move, that's 6 for the other team.

The one down side, however, is that he's slow. He just doesn't seem to have the top-end speed to keep up with the WRs. If he bites the wrong way on a move, that's 6 for the other team.

Well, here's the question. Can we name any excellent safeties in the league who don't have "Top-end speed"? I'd imagine we could. How slow are we talking here?

I just whipped out my Sporting News Draft guy and interestingly enough, Tom Zbikowski is NOT one of the Super Fans. I just wanted to clarify that for everyone here (including myself) who thought he was.

They have him projected as a 5th rounder, and they say he's tough and attacks on every play and is a dangerous return man. But he struggles with man to man coverage. He's also a semi-professional boxer.

Sounds to me like a nice special teams player and we know how much JA covets those (can you believe we've been #1 in special teams 2 years straight??? When was the last time we were #1 on defense? Was it 1986? Have we EVER been #1 in offense). We have a bunch of picks later. You figure he's a guy we'd look at in round 6 or 7.