Mendenhall

jason

I admit that I haven't seen him a ton, but I have seen enough to form an opinion. I have gone to Youtube and looked at a few highlights as well. So, what I want to know is this:

Is Rashard Mendenhall a speed back or a power back?

From nearly everything I've seen, he's not explosively fast. He appears to be more of a power back whose speed was accentuated by playing in a quirky spread offense.

If the Bears draft him, isn't he essentially the same type of player as Benson?

I think he is similar to Thomas Jones. Jacked out of his mind, but more of a speedy and shifty runner who can give a hit when he needs to.

What do you base that on? Have you seen a lot of his games? He didn't appear too shifty in the games I saw, and in the highlights I've seen he doesn't appear to make anyone really miss. Looks to me like he ran where the open lane was in the spread offense.

What do you base that on? Have you seen a lot of his games? He didn't appear too shifty in the games I saw, and in the highlights I've seen he doesn't appear to make anyone really miss. Looks to me like he ran where the open lane was in the spread offense.

I agree. I haven't seen him run like TJ.

Mendy is a North-South runner. This is why I say if we dont upgrade the line as our first priority, then Mendy will be considered a bust because there will be no holes for him.

And we will be in the same spot next year.

I see both.

I've seen him mow people over, I've seen him out run them, and I've seen him juke them.

He certainly exploded during the Rose Bowl for one example! And USC's D is pretty darn good having seen them all year long.

I'm sure his offense helped his numbers...as most college RB's do. No one really knows until you hit the NFL.

I do not see him as Benson, because Benson is a bust without heart. If he turns out to be what we hoped Benson would be, then it is a huge upgrade. I think he is better. I have not been this amped about a potentially back falling to us in eons... Odds are I will be let down as another team before us will probably pick him.

I'll be happy with a good few other picks as well...just not jump to the ceiling happy.

I admit that I haven't seen him a ton, but I have seen enough to form an opinion. I have gone to Youtube and looked at a few highlights as well. So, what I want to know is this:

From nearly everything I've seen, he's not explosively fast. He appears to be more of a power back whose speed was accentuated by playing in a quirky spread offense.

I think Mendenhall is a less explosive, stronger version of Reggie Bush. IN fact, if I were going to compare him to someone it would be Ladanian Tomilson. I really love Mendenhall's all around athletism, strength and vision. He also has good hands for a WR and game-changing speed.

Bottom line he has the ability to be a workhorse back who can also take it to the house on any one play. I absolutely love this guy's upside. The only question is how good he will adjust to running between the tackles and just running in a pro offense (since he is coming from a more option ran offense).

Benson is more North to South. In fact I think the two backs would compliment each other incredibly well. Mendenhall isn't pure speed though as he is very elusive and has much better "make guys miss" ability than Ced. Of course if Ced was healthy I wouldn't even think about picking a back, but I just don't think we can possibly consider Ced healthy (its too bad because I still think he has a world of ability (now that was pre-injury, who knows what form he is in now), despite his shitty attitude).