Lawrence Holmes on 670

dawhizz

Since Lawrence Holmes is one of the few Chicago guys I really trust when it comes to the Bears, I made it a point to catch him this afternoon on 670. He says:

-Word behind closed doors is that Benson's injury is worse than everyone thought and while he doesn't know if it means the Bears look harder at RB in the first, he says don't be suprised if the Bears are looking for a 3-down back instead of what would be a complement to what Benson would (at least theoretically) be. He did say the Bears really like Ray Rice.

-He doesn't buy any of the "Bears are looking to move up" talk.

-He says for all the attention on Jeff Otah in the first, the Bears may be even more interested in his teammate Mike McGlynn, hopefully in the third.

-He thought there was a chance Sedrick Ellis fell all the way to 14 (a la Tommie Harris) and said, if he did, the Bears would take him.

Interesting storylines to keep in mind this weekend.

Since Lawrence Holmes is one of the few Chicago guys I really trust when it comes to the Bears, I made it a point to catch him this afternoon on 670. He says:

-Word behind closed doors is that Benson's injury is worse than everyone thought and while he doesn't know if it means the Bears look harder at RB in the first, he says don't be suprised if the Bears are looking for a 3-down back instead of what would be a complement to what Benson would (at least theoretically) be. He did say the Bears really like Ray Rice.

-He says for all the attention on Jeff Otah in the first, the Bears may be even more interested in his teammate Mike McGlynn, hopefully in the third.

-He thought there was a chance Sedrick Ellis fell all the way to 14 (a la Tommie Harris) and said, if he did, the Bears would take him.

If we insist on getting a RB, I'd like one to be at least 5'10.

I actually like Ray Rice a lot. I think he's shown that he can play football and if you give him a solid line in the NFL he will be very productive and a good value pick. Plus picking Rice means that the Bears can address Oline and other key needs in the first two rounds.

In regards to Ellis, putting him next to Harris would give the Bears a very strong interior front (to go with what I feel are good, but not amazing ends) and a good lb and cb core. The big question is how confident are they in Dusty and how confident are they in bringing back Harris (if they opted to draft Ellis I would think it would spell an end to Harris tenure in Chicago or at least that possibility occurring a year from now via trade).

I still think the Bears will take a guard with one of hte 3rd round picks (as you can typically get a very quality guard prospect at that point) while taking Williams in the 1st, a RB with the other 3rd rd pick and the wildcard is the 2nd round pick (I think they go either QB or WR depending on whose available; If Flacco/Henne are there, they go QB, otherwise I think they really hope Hardy or Manningham is there and address QB in the 4th round or later (Colt Brennan/Johnson/Ainge/Dennis Dixon)

Interesting stufff. I agree with you about Holmes.

Thanks for the update!

I've heard Rice is awful blocking...

Have you seen him play? I know very little unfortunately..

I actually like Ray Rice a lot. I think he's shown that he can play football and if you give him a solid line in the NFL he will be very productive and a good value pick. Plus picking Rice means that the Bears can address Oline and other key needs in the first two rounds.

In regards to Ellis, putting him next to Harris would give the Bears a very strong interior front (to go with what I feel are good, but not amazing ends) and a good lb and cb core. The big question is how confident are they in Dusty and how confident are they in bringing back Harris (if they opted to draft Ellis I would think it would spell an end to Harris tenure in Chicago or at least that possibility occurring a year from now via trade).

I still think the Bears will take a guard with one of hte 3rd round picks (as you can typically get a very quality guard prospect at that point) while taking Williams in the 1st, a RB with the other 3rd rd pick and the wildcard is the 2nd round pick (I think they go either QB or WR depending on whose available; If Flacco/Henne are there, they go QB, otherwise I think they really hope Hardy or Manningham is there and address QB in the 4th round or later (Colt Brennan/Johnson/Ainge/Dennis Dixon)

I'd compare Rice to Emmit Smith. Ie, nothing really excites you but he's just a solid back. He finds holes and gains yardage and if you put him behind a solid line he'll be solid, a good line he'll be good, an above average line he'll be above average.

Basically he's just one solid as hell individual. I can't speak about his blocking though. He doesn't have the measurables scouts like but he can play football, imo.

Good to know...

Thanks for your perspective!

I'd compare Rice to Emmit Smith. Ie, nothing really excites you but he's just a solid back. He finds holes and gains yardage and if you put him behind a solid line he'll be solid, a good line he'll be good, an above average line he'll be above average.

Basically he's just one solid as hell individual. I can't speak about his blocking though. He doesn't have the measurables scouts like but he can play football, imo.

Oh and just to point out, I'm not saying he's the next Emmit as the next Emmit is impossible predict because I truly believe there are plenty of NFL football players out there capable of doing what he did if they are put behind an above average oline for most of there careers.

That said, you have to tip your cap to Emmit for finding holes, being a solid blocker, and keeping himself in shape to be productive for so long.

i love ellis....i went to an SEC school and saw dorsey play a ton over the last 2 years.. and from what little i have seen of ellis...id rather ellis i think...he single handedly took over that sr. bowl....regardless he wont fall to 14...too many teams like the saints and cincy want him

ray rice reminds me a bit of maurice jones drew...short, good leverage...runs strong, powerful but quick and patient...