is the rest of the world nuts or just us?

Lucky Luciano

i have to admit i have not watched much college ball this year but...

if the people who write these draft mags know their arse from a hole in the ground can anyone tell me why we picked forte in the 2nd round??

i quote: Pro Football Draft Ranked #7 - "Runs upright. Takes time to build speed... struggles to make defenders miss in open field. Lacks top end speed. Production is inflated having faced marginal Conference USA competition.

Could best fit as a one-back or utility back..." AND he is coming back from a serious injury?????

Pro Football Draft Guide Ranked #15 - "More of a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust type... will likely have a spot in the NFL if he can add fullback skills... Likely a situational hybrid back who could see plenty of action on third down."

sounds like a slower version of cedric benson or a MUCH slower version of A-train. so yet again we waste a first day pick on a tweener situational back. it's freakin NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft notes on Tomlinson:

Works better when taking the pitch-out, lacking the sudden moves to get off the snap from the proper stance...For all of his power, he seems to prefer to run out of bounds rather than turn upfield to gain extra yardage...not that productive when called upon to take the ball up the middle...Looks to make the “home run” plays too often, developing a reliance on that factor... Better when he gets a rolling start (best with a few yards to build up), but still lacks that explosive burst you’d want in a player with his quickness...Little tight in the hips, preventing him from developing any “shake-&-bake” moves...Willing blocker, but not one who can rock the defender back...Shows strength breaking low tackles, but does not have that quick first step to avoid nor does he use his power to move the pile.

Draft notes on Tomlinson: Works better when taking the pitch-out, lacking the sudden moves to get off the snap from the proper stance...For all of his power, he seems to prefer to run out of bounds rather than turn upfield to gain extra yardage...not that productive when called upon to take the ball up the middle...Looks to make the “home run” plays too often, developing a reliance on that factor... Better when he gets a rolling start (best with a few yards to build up), but still lacks that explosive burst you’d want in a player with his quickness...Little tight in the hips, preventing him from developing any “shake-&-bake” moves...Willing blocker, but not one who can rock the defender back...Shows strength breaking low tackles, but does not have that quick first step to avoid nor does he use his power to move the pile.

are you seriously comparing forte to tomlinson? really????

if they say tomlinson "looks to make the home run play" doesn't that mean he has the speed and capability to actually physically DO IT???? forte is supposed to beef up just to be a freakin FULL BACK?? what team but us draft >>>potential

if these ass clowns running our draft had balls larger than a bee bee they could have moved up into the bottom of the 1st round and gotten MENDENHAL by giving up our 2nd, one of our thirds and a seventh to at least 2 different teams!!!

would anyone here want mendy and only have given up our 2nd rounder plus one of our 2 third rounders and one of our million 7th rounders to get him??

are you seriously comparing forte to tomlinson? really????

if they say tomlinson "looks to make the home run play" doesn't that mean he has the speed and capability to actually physically DO IT???? forte is supposed to beef up just to be a freakin FULL BACK?? what team but us draft >>>potential

if these ass clowns running our draft had balls larger than a bee bee they could have moved up into the bottom of the 1st round and gotten MENDENHAL by giving up our 2nd, one of our thirds and a seventh to at least 2 different teams!!!

would anyone here want mendy and only have given up our 2nd rounder plus one of our 2 third rounders and one of our million 7th rounders to get him??

Luckily they have brains bigger than a BB and didn't make the move up for Mendenhall. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Forte pick, but drafting up to get Mendenhall would have sucked just as much.

By the way, the note on Tomlinson was to show that the Predraft grades and comments are often wrong. For all the things "wrong" with LT, he sure has turned out well and seems to have done everything opposite of his detractors.

I don't like the Forte pick, but I suppose it's possible that all the "bad things" about Forte are wrong.

Luckily they have brains bigger than a BB and didn't make the move up for Mendenhall. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Forte pick, but drafting up to get Mendenhall would have sucked just as much.

ok then tell me why it would have "sucked just as much."

you would have basically traded an EXTRA 3rd round pick we had for mendy. the 7th rounder we could have sweetened the deal with doesn't mean jack S$#!& because we have THREE OTHERS in the same round!!!!

as i didn't watch college ball this year i assume you did. so tell me how much better or worse mendy is compared to forte and why that pick would have sucked.

hey if they picked another OL i'm with that. if they thought a QB warranted that pick, fine i'm ok with that. but if these D!%$# just wanted a RB then why in the holy C$%!#@ didn't they pick one who COULD be an every down back and one who COULD be good???????????????????????????????/

you would have basically traded an EXTRA 3rd round pick we had for mendy. the 7th rounder we could have sweetened the deal with doesn't mean jack S$#!& because we have THREE OTHERS in the same round!!!!

as i didn't watch college ball this year i assume you did. so tell me how much better or worse mendy is compared to forte and why that pick would have sucked.

hey if they picked another OL i'm with that. if they thought a QB warranted that pick, fine i'm ok with that. but if these D!%$# just wanted a RB then why in the holy C$%!#@ didn't they pick one who COULD be an every down back and one who COULD be good???????????????????????????????/

The reason I think it would have sucked just as much is that the Bears have other holes. To lose a 3rd rounder in a trade up for a guy who was considered the third best RB by the NFL teams (evidently), is just not smart.

I saw Mendenhall several times this year on TV, but never got to see Forte. Mendenhall looked good, but never really blew my socks off. He looked like a guy who benefitted because of his college system and nasty, running QB a lot, IMHO. Good? Yes. Great? I don't think so.

As far as Forte goes, he has massive stats and is apparently one of the best backs in college football right now. He benefitted from playing weaker opponents overall, but he killed them. I don't know why you assume he can't be an every down RB.

To me, the general difference between them is a toss-up...and the Bears don't lose other draft picks.

I think the best thing to do is wait and see on this pick. I don't necessarily like the pick, but it is not terrible either.

Well this brings up the question...would you rather have Forte or Ray Rice....or were both drafted too high

I much prefer Forte over Ray Rice, but that's just personal preference. I saw Rice one time this year, and despite the fact that he looked good, he didn't look like a home-run threat. Forte appears to be more of a home-run threat, despite the fact that he isn't one either.

I just like the home run hitters a lot more than the grinders...to each his own.

Well this brings up the question...would you rather have Forte or Ray Rice....or were both drafted too high

The Bears must have felt that Forte would not be there at 70, while others on their board would be. I can see them going WR at 70 with Doucet.

The reason I think it would have sucked just as much is that the Bears have other holes. To lose a 3rd rounder in a trade up for a guy who was considered the third best RB by the NFL teams (evidently), is just not smart.

I saw Mendenhall several times this year on TV, but never got to see Forte. Mendenhall looked good, but never really blew my socks off. He looked like a guy who benefitted because of his college system and nasty, running QB a lot, IMHO. Good? Yes. Great? I don't think so.

As far as Forte goes, he has massive stats and is apparently one of the best backs in college football right now. He benefitted from playing weaker opponents overall, but he killed them. I don't know why you assume he can't be an every down RB.

To me, the general difference between them is a toss-up...and the Bears don't lose other draft picks.

like i said i havent watched either player. i can only go buy what these good/crappy draft books project. but if forte doesn't project in quality as close to the 3rd RB picked in the draft (mendy), and it doesn't seem close, then it was a complete waste of a pick. so you basically wasted a 2nd round pick on an average or poor RB to save an extra 3rd round pick.

that's stupid logic if angelo and the other bricks sitting in our war room figure this is how you build a franchise.

Looked plenty fast to me. Seemed to have a lot of power. Looked like he had good vision and was able to cut back into the open lane. Looked like he could run over a tackler. Seemed like he hit the hole quick. Elusive. Played on a team with basically no passing game to keep the defense honest and faced a lot of 8 in the box yet was highly productive.

Yep, a totally wasted pick, what was JA thinking of, LOL.

Sure, we could have waited until the 3rd round. If he was selected by another team before we got another chance, then we could bash JA for that.

We all agreed the #1 priority was to get our running game back on track. We drafted a highly rated OLT and a nice looking RB prospect 1 & 2. Posters are upset? What am I missing here?

I LOVE THE PICK!

Forte videos:

i'm on dial up and could only watch a very limited amount of these video's but although it seemed sped up a bit this forte guy doesn't look like any fullback type runner to me.

so those on the know... is this forte guy a real fulltime runningback or another change of pace guy?

if it's not a potential fulltime back we got screwed blue and tattooed.

Looked plenty fast to me. Seemed to have a lot of power. Looked like he had good vision and was able to cut back into the open lane. Looked like he could run over a tackler. Seemed like he hit the hole quick. Elusive. Played on a team with basically no passing game to keep the defense honest and faced a lot of 8 in the box yet was highly productive.

Sure, we could have waited until the 3rd round. If he was selected by another team before we got another chance, then we could bash JA for that.

We all agreed the #1 priority was to get our running game back on track. We drafted a highly rated OLT and a nice looking RB prospect 1 & 2. Posters are upset? What am I missing here?

I LOVE THE PICK!

I think people get wrapped around the axle about these player rankings. Forte was rated between the 6th - 10th best RB, and he was the 6th RB taken. Ray Rice and Kevin Smith were available, but Forte was faster and has no character issues. They obviously were not targeting Brohm or Henne. I'm sure once Flacco was gone, they changed their focus.

Also looks like their will still be some value WRs available in the 3rd.

The only people who don't like the Forte pick are people who've never watched him before, and because he doesn't go to some elite school and isn't talked about on ESPN 5 minutes.

Forte was an excellent choice. Stop being stupid. Just because you've never heard of him means he sucks. Get a grip.

I LOVE THE PICK!

My only reply to this is that Benson looked unstoppable behind his massive Texas OL. I don't hate the pick of Forte, but I don't like it either. I think that, barring an untold injury to Benson, there's a really good probability that the upgrading of the OL could have allowed us to revisit the same optimism that we had when we were posting Benson videos all over the board. Now, there will be a RB controversy, and Benson is sure to be even more moody.

as i stated i haven't seen any college ball and am going on draft rags but....

IF

if forte isn't a potential FULL TIME every down halfback it sucks as a pick!!!

Forte was projected as a FB before the senior bowl where he was the MVP, and before the NFL combine where he ran a since the combine where he had a great workout. Since then, every mock has projected him to go in the 2nd round or the early 3rd. He's also an excellent blocker which is something Ron Turner craves.

What you're missing is that we drafted him because he is a full time every down half-back.

My only reply to this is that Benson looked unstoppable behind his massive Texas OL. I don't hate the pick of Forte, but I don't like it either. I think that, barring an untold injury to Benson, there's a really good probability that the upgrading of the OL could have allowed us to revisit the same optimism that we had when we were posting Benson videos all over the board. Now, there will be a RB controversy, and Benson is sure to be even more moody.

Cherilus was taken 17th, Baker 21st, Brown 26th, and Rachal 39th. Some of those were projected in the 3rd round. So with those off the board, the Bears filled what they felt was their 2nd biggest need with Forte. Forte was the 6th RB taken.

At 44, the options were 10th OL, 6th RB, 6th WR, or 3rd QB. Obviously they felt that filling the RB need was the best value at that pick.