Who do you want in the third?

jason

WR is definitely a need, but outside of really the top couple guys in this draft, none of them can really make an impact, IMO. Yeah, you have your Colston's, but that is something you can't count on. For WR, I think we should just bring in some late rounder and/or UDFA's to compete with Haas, Riddeau, and Lloyd.

Lets be honest here, the only WR's that are going to produce (or have the chance) for us are Hester, Bradley, Booker, and Davis, along with Clark and Olsen. The rest are for depth purposes.

WR is definitely a need, but outside of really the top couple guys in this draft, none of them can really make an impact, IMO. Yeah, you have your Colston's, but that is something you can't count on. For WR, I think we should just bring in some late rounder and/or UDFA's to compete with Haas, Riddeau, and Lloyd.

Lets be honest here, the only WR's that are going to produce (or have the chance) for us are Hester, Bradley, Booker, and Davis, along with Clark and Olsen. The rest are for depth purposes.

You don't think Doucet or Manningham could come in and compete for us?

You don't think Doucet or Manningham could come in and compete for us?

Manningham is a waste of talent. I wouldn't touch a slime-ball like him with a 10-foot pole.

Doucet and Bennett are both good receivers a la Steve Smith of the Giants, but I don't think either can make a big impact. I feel someone like Dre Moore makes a bigger impact. WR is one of those positions you need time to develop at.

Manningham is a waste of talent. I wouldn't touch a slime-ball like him with a 10-foot pole.

Doucet and Bennett are both good receivers a la Steve Smith of the Giants, but I don't think either can make a big impact. I feel someone like Dre Moore makes a bigger impact. WR is one of those positions you need time to develop at.

If they could all be Boy Scouts, that would be nice. But some times you have to take a chance on a kid who might have some problems. I suppose you would have passed on McFadden as well?

If Schuening, Caldwell, and Doucet all magically get taken with 3 of the first 6 3rd round selections, I wouldn't mind seeing us take Carl Nicks. Many had him as an early 2nd rounder, OT out of Nebraska.

However, I doubt we'd take another OT when OG, WR, QB, and maybe even DT are all bigger needs. Maybe Earl Bennett out of Vandy if Caldwell and Doucet go?

Nicks is a guy I noticed, too. He has big character issues, but it's a nice risk-reward pick. And even though he's been a tackle, I don't think he'd be out of place playing inside. An athletic 341 lb guard sounds pretty useful, then a few years down the road, if everything goes well, he can transition to rt when Tait leaves.

In any case, I'd like to see a high-upside lineman taken in the middle rounds (no Beekmans). Nicks in the third, or maybe Tony Hills at some point. Lord knows we need the depth.

McFadden is a saint compared to Manningham... Manningham is scum, and I could see him getting into a ton of trouble in the NFL.

Enlighten me. Why is Manningham such scum? McFadden seems to have gotten into just as much BS, hell, probably more.

From Brad Biggs at Sun-Times. Not sure if this is informed speculation or just guesswork on his part:

It was a departure from the best-available-player approach general manager Jerry Angelo has tried to follow in the past. The Bears will continue to go for need today with nine picks starting with No. 70, the seventh of the third round. USC quarterback John David Booty, LSU wide receiver Early Doucet and Arkansas defensive tackle Marcus Harrison are options.

I just heard on NFL network that TB is wanting to trade Simms. I thought the kid was looking good before he went down with the spleen injury. I would love to have him in the mix with Grossman & Orton. If they did not want too much in return, I would pull the trigger on that trade quick!

Next Best Available at Bears positiosn of needs based on ESPN rankings. (I've marked their overall "pre-rank"). Damn good value picks for both Bears 3rd rounders at #70 and #90.

Defensive Tackle:

Marcus Harrison #46

Pat Simms #59

Andre Fluellen #68

Quarterback:

John David Booty #74

Andre Woodson #97

Eric Ainge #116

Wide Reciever:

Mario Manningham #53

Early Doucet #71

Andre Caldwell #73

Guard:

Oniel Cousins #72

Jeremy Zuttah #79

Roy Schuening #107

Next Best Available at Bears positiosn of needs based on ESPN rankings. (I've marked their overall "pre-rank"). Damn good value picks for both Bears 3rd rounders at #70 and #90.

Defensive Tackle:

Marcus Harrison #46

Pat Simms #59

Andre Fluellen #68

Quarterback:

John David Booty #74

Andre Woodson #97

Eric Ainge #116

Wide Reciever:

Mario Manningham #53

Early Doucet #71

Andre Caldwell #73

Guard:

Oniel Cousins #72

Jeremy Zuttah #79

Roy Schuening #107

Where do they rank Nicks? (Just curious.)

I just heard on NFL network that TB is wanting to trade Simms. I thought the kid was looking good before he went down with the spleen injury. I would love to have him in the mix with Grossman & Orton. If they did not want too much in return, I would pull the trigger on that trade quick!

I think Simms could easily be had for a 4th round pick...if he had a spleen. So, with the splenectomy discount I say he could be had for a 5th-6th round pick.

What time does the 3rd round start? Anyone?

9 CT

First 4 picks have gone like this:

DET (trade with MIA)- Kevin Smith, RB, UCF

STL- John Grego, OG/OT, Toledo

MIA (trade with DET)- Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton

CAR- Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa

ATL- Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU

NE, then us.

I see us going Doucet, then probably either Zuttah, or best OG available

EDIT- And we go with Bennett. I called that one...

If Schuening, Caldwell, and Doucet all magically get taken with 3 of the first 6 3rd round selections, I wouldn't mind seeing us take Carl Nicks. Many had him as an early 2nd rounder, OT out of Nebraska.

However, I doubt we'd take another OT when OG, WR, QB, and maybe even DT are all bigger needs. Maybe Earl Bennett out of Vandy if Caldwell and Doucet go?

I see us going Doucet, then probably either Zuttah, or best OG available

EDIT- And we go with Bennett. I called that one...

You said if Doucet and Caldwell are gone that we pick Bennett. They both were available, so they picked Bennett over those two. Not very hard to just pick a group of WRs.

See:

3rd Round Hopefuls:

Early Doucet, Andre Caldwell, Earl Bennett at WR

Roy Schuening at OG

4th Round Hopefuls:

Chad Rinehart at OG

Josh Johnson at QB

I would be happy with 2 out of these 5 for the next 3 picks. It seems like JA will always throw a sleeper in there.