Forte, favorite to start?

ostrogoth

Bears GM Jerry Angelo considers second-round pick Matt Forte a "three-down back."

Beware Cedric Benson, your job is in great danger. "I felt like our running game obviously was one of the weak spots on our football team," Angelo said, referring to last year. "He gives us a big back, a three down back." Forte is going to compete to start right away, and he just may be the favorite.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Forte isnt exactly a back that compliments Benson. He was brought in to either push Benson over the hump or to take his job, not to be the lightning to his thunder.

The complimentary comparison was more like Benson: fall down after 2 yard gain and Forte: plow thru to the 2nd level and make people miss

More like "Shock and Awe", Forte being the Shock and Benson making the crowd say "Awwwwwww" in disgust.

With all the cap space we still have I see no reason not to cut Ced this year if he's not recovering from his injury well enough. Give him an injury settlement and move on or let him finish his rehab then cut him. Having said that I think we go into training camp expecting him to compete for a roster spot. Either Ced gets cut or AP gets cut. With another special teams ace just drafted (Steltz) please don't tell me we won't cut AP because of his special teams play. AP wins a spot as a RB or he's gone.