Hub Arkush: 08 Draft Losers: Bears

Da Bears 88

And, for the most part, I happen to agree with him. Lots of risks.

Williams is the right position, but many had others rated higher.

Forte could easily be seen as a reach considering the others that were there.

Bennet could easily be seen as a bad pick considering other WRs who were there.

And then the draft got into craziness.

I like the 1st and 3rd rounders, but I agree with much of his sentiments about the rest of it.

Williams is the right position, but many had others rated higher.

Like who? Albert who has played all of 2 games at LT? Otah, who is about as raw as can be despite his enormous potential (and size), and to me looks a lot like an RT? Cherilus who is an RT? I like Chris more than any of them quite frankly.

We NEEDED a ready LT, not a potential one, or an RT. We needed one who could come in on day one and start, and whether he got picked a couple of spots high is completely irrelevant because that is where he went, and he has that kind of physical talent, experience, and "proven factor" to warrant his selection. It wasn't just a "safe pick", it was the smart pick, and a safe pick with a lot of upside. How can one argue against it?

Forte wouldn't have been there in the third, and if we liked him enough, why gamble on trading down when we can just get him there? We already had a ton of picks, so getting our guy was important.

Not a huge fan of the Bennet selection, but as far as guys who I saw as "high floors" at WR, he was at the top of that list IMHO. Might not be a huge threat, but I could very easily see him as a go-to possession receiver who becomes his QB's favorite target, hauling in a ton of passes. He just does everything the right way, is smart, and doesn't drop passes. I keep hearing Hines Ward attached to his name, but I see a lot of Jericho Cotchery and even a bit of Reggie Wayne in him.

What an idiot. He completely contradicts himself a couple times. He says don't reach for a player, then says don't take a player that has fallen. He also says to pass on guys with character issues, then questions the Bears on why they didn't draft Manningham (attitude/drug test). Hilarious.

You can question every pick in the draft if you wanted to.

A sure thing in the 3rd round is a mediocre player, and a sure thing in the 5th is a bad player. If you're a sure thing good player, you're long gone. Panning risky picks in the middle and later rounds is ridiculous.

Well said jackie! :notworthy

Then you can always have opinions with no Bias

NFL .com

Little snippet from the link:

With trade offers for their first-round pick (14th overall), the Bears had an opportunity to add to their pile of choices. Instead, they stayed put and grabbed Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, one of the best offensive tackles in the draft.

"We got phone calls from several people, and they were very, very aggressive, but we really felt strongly about Chris," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. "We thought he fit the prototype of what we were looking for intangibly. And we felt (good) obviously (about) his skill level and his position.

"Not many times do you set your course to target a guy and/or guys, and we had a choice of them. But we didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, and we don't want to get cute on draft day. Maybe we could have gotten (Williams) later, but if we didn't, then we wouldn't have felt as good as we do right now."

Little snippet from the link:

IMdO, the way the OL guys went off the board, we would have had crap to chose from if we'd traded down. And how many of us here would be screaming, with me, that we didn't add a top OT choice?