Hub Arkush on Benson being out of shape

bradjock

Benson's "shape" is still being debated so I wanted to post what Hub Arkush said on the SCORE on last Sunday the night.

According to Hub, after the 2007 season, the Bears asked Benson to gain 12 pounds in the offseason. However, Benson decided not to reamain with the team and work-out under the watchful eye Rusty Jones, but he spent most of the off-season back in Texas. Hub said the Bears should have changed their weight gaining plan when they knew Cedric was leaving, but didn't.

So Cedric returned heavier, but not in a good way. Hub said that if you saw Cedric in the locker room he looked like a regular guy and you'd say, "How the hell does this guy play in the NFL."

What Hub didn't say, but I'll speculate on, is this: The Bears didn't punish or comment on the fact Cedric was heavy, since that's what they'd asked him to do. Yet we were pissed when he showed up out of shape. This explains why Cedric's weight was never an issue and why Cedric looked so much slower this season.

He he looked fat, I think at one point early on they showed a shot of him from the back and swear he was as big as kreutz. The Bears have done this twice now. They told Enis to gain weight as well and his knee gave out. Then again if coach asks u to gain weight i doubt he wants fat.

Benson aside, I would love to read how many players do stick around Chicago in the offseason and are part of Rusty's program. Too often in sport I read about players doing it on there own, and too often the results are not good. It doesn't always mean the player didn't try, but make a poor decision in not allowing the teams expert to manage.

An example I always think about, while not even football, is the White Sox Jenks. Last year, he showed up to the Sox camp not in the sort of shape the team wanted. It wasn't that he slacked in the offseason, but he put himself on a strengthening program, which tightened him up too much, not good for a pitcher who needs to be loose.

I would bet Benson did workout in the offseason on his own, and felt he was doing what the staff wanted in gaining weight. He made a stupid decision in not working w/ Rusty, but at the same time, that does not mean he simply dismissed the staff's desires to add weight and bulk up.

So I fault Benson for not working w/ the team, but credit him for adding weight as the team asked.

I think Alex Smith is another example to use. Brown spent an offseason adding to his weight after the team asked him to get bigger, only to drop weight a year later after his new size didn't work. I think similar happened w/ Daniels, who the team asked to drop weight, which didn't work, and he then had to put it back on.

Benson aside, I would love to read how many players do stick around Chicago in the offseason and are part of Rusty's program. Too often in sport I read about players doing it on there own, and too often the results are not good. It doesn't always mean the player didn't try, but make a poor decision in not allowing the teams expert to manage.

An example I always think about, while not even football, is the White Sox Jenks. Last year, he showed up to the Sox camp not in the sort of shape the team wanted. It wasn't that he slacked in the offseason, but he put himself on a strengthening program, which tightened him up too much, not good for a pitcher who needs to be loose.

I would bet Benson did workout in the offseason on his own, and felt he was doing what the staff wanted in gaining weight. He made a stupid decision in not working w/ Rusty, but at the same time, that does not mean he simply dismissed the staff's desires to add weight and bulk up.

So I fault Benson for not working w/ the team, but credit him for adding weight as the team asked.

I think Alex Smith is another example to use. Brown spent an offseason adding to his weight after the team asked him to get bigger, only to drop weight a year later after his new size didn't work. I think similar happened w/ Daniels, who the team asked to drop weight, which didn't work, and he then had to put it back on.

We could use some more players on this plan. Although this is kinda old.

Urlacher's offseason workout.

Alex Smith?

I always liked that plan, but tell me this. Which would be better. For the player to be under Rusty or go off on their own w/ an independent outfit/trainer?

Here is how I would rank the options, w/ #1 being best.

1. Stay in Chicago, and workout under strict guidance of Rusty.

2. Workout w/ an independant trainer/company approved by Rusty.

3. Workout on your own using a program drawn up by Rusty.

4. Workout w/ an independant trainer/company not approved by Rusty.

5. Workout on your own, w/o a trainer or Rusty provided guide. Basically, go to the gym and workout to try and stay in shape.

6. Do little to nothing in the offseason, believing that is what camp is for.

I always liked that plan, but tell me this. Which would be better. For the player to be under Rusty or go off on their own w/ an independent outfit/trainer?

Here is how I would rank the options, w/ #1 being best.

1. Stay in Chicago, and workout under strict guidance of Rusty.

2. Workout w/ an independant trainer/company approved by Rusty.

3. Workout on your own using a program drawn up by Rusty.

4. Workout w/ an independant trainer/company not approved by Rusty.

5. Workout on your own, w/o a trainer or Rusty provided guide. Basically, go to the gym and workout to try and stay in shape.

6. Do little to nothing in the offseason, believing that is what camp is for.

Based on these options, don't you think Cedric chose #6? Guys who are working out on a regular basis, unless they're lineman, do not appear flabby. #6 would explain why JA & Lovie are ready to replace him.

Granted that's speculation, but JA and this staff are extremely unhappy with Cedric for whatever reason. Yes he sucked, but we've proven with Rex that we're willing to give 2nd chances. We didn't draft a starting QB with our 2nd round pick, we drafted a starting running-back.

Based on these options, don't you think Cedric chose #6? Guys who are working out on a regular basis, unless they're lineman, do not appear flabby. #6 would explain why JA & Lovie are ready to replace him.

Granted that's speculation, but JA and this staff are extremely unhappy with Cedric for whatever reason. Yes he sucked, but we've proven with Rex that we're willing to give 2nd chances. We didn't draft a starting QB with our 2nd round pick, we drafted a starting running-back.

I don't think JA and staff were just unhappy with Cedric. IMO they were unhappy with all the RB's. Neither CB or AP could get the running game established, but I'd put some of the blame on Turner and the O-line as well. We added pieces to two of the factors (Forte/Williams), so if the run game still falters then it's time to fix the third factor (Turner).

I don't think JA and staff were just unhappy with Cedric. IMO they were unhappy with all the RB's. Neither CB or AP could get the running game established, but I'd put some of the blame on Turner and the O-line as well. We added pieces to two of the factors (Forte/Williams), so if the run game still falters then it's time to fix the third factor (Turner).

That doesn't make sense. JA and the staff brought in a guy (Forte) they declared was a "3 down back." Cedric is not a 3 down back. (He can't catch the ball or block). Wolfe is not a 3 down back (he's too damn small). AP is a 3 down back, but he's not that good.

If we were that unhappy with the o-line, you draft a guard. There were plenty top ones available when we picked in the 2nd round.

Not to mention, we didn't draft a replacement for Rex or Kyle.

When you draft a player that high and have 3 on the roster, you're clearly unhappy with what you have.

No. I would actually say he went w/ option #5. He did put on the weight, as requested. And before the comments/jokes, he didn't appear to me like some fat arce. I found a couple pictures, which I will attempt to attach. Benson doesn't look ripped, but he doesn't look like the wide body some are making out either.

Further, I believe you theorized the staff didn't rip him for the weight because they asked him to put it on, but I would contend that if he added weight w/o working out at all, and came to camp looking flat out fat and out of shape, I think the staff would have been all over his arce.

Benson1.jpg

Benson2.jpg

Benson3.jpg

I don't really see AP as a 3-down RB. We play him on 3rd down like he is but he can't really run a pass route. I don't count little swing routes out of the backfield as a pass route. His blocking also is not very good as he gets pushed around by a lot of LBs (or run over sometimes). Then there's the issue of the first two downs where AP can't really make the unblocked defender miss. He might make a guy miss here and there but he's not very consistent. He's a backup plain and simple and that label comes with the limitations in his performance.

That doesn't make sense. JA and the staff brought in a guy (Forte) they declared was a "3 down back." Cedric is not a 3 down back. (He can't catch the ball or block). Wolfe is not a 3 down back (he's too damn small). AP is a 3 down back, but he's not that good.

I would argue AP is not a 3rd down back. He is a better receiver than Benson, but I would argue Benson is a better runner, and frankly, I think Benson is a better blocker. AP freaking sucks as a blocker. AP is a special teams ace and #3 backup RB who was elevated higher than he ever should have been.

If we were that unhappy with the o-line, you draft a guard. There were plenty top ones available when we picked in the 2nd round.

I agree, but I am not Angelo. Angelo has been VERY outspoken in ripping the OL. He let two OL go, and openly talked about moving our LT to the RT side, which is essentially a demotion. As for OG, while I disagree, I imagine he simply believes St. Clair and/or Beekman are solid.

When you draft a player that high and have 3 on the roster, you're clearly unhappy with what you have.

Come on. There is a difference betweening being happy w/ what you have, and having so much confidence in what you have that (a) you ignore the position in the draft and (B) you pass a player you were very high on going into the draft.

We drafted Harrison in the 3rd. Does that mean we Angelo doesn't like Harris and/or Dusty? We drafted Steltz next. So we don't like Payne, McGowan or DM? Heck, I read where Steltz said he might play FS, so maybe Angelo doesn't like Brown?

Come on. Obviously the team isn't thrilled w/ Benson. That's a news flash? Not only that, but there are also questions regarding his injury. But Angelo flat out said he was not happy w/ pretty much the entire offense. Are you going to sit there and say Angelo was happy w/ our OL play or QB play?

I agree, but I am not Angelo. Angelo has been VERY outspoken in ripping the OL. He let two OL go, and openly talked about moving our LT to the RT side, which is essentially a demotion. As for OG, while I disagree, I imagine he simply believes St. Clair and/or Beekman are solid.
They have even spoken of cough cough Metcalf being in the mix, saying he played with a broken hand. I tend to think they confused his hand with his hymen. Seriously, Metcalf is considered a power guard and hand punch is crucial at times. He still doesn't cut it with me.

We drafted Harrison in the 3rd. Does that mean we Angelo doesn't like Harris and/or Dusty? We drafted Steltz next. So we don't like Payne, McGowan or DM? Heck, I read where Steltz said he might play FS, so maybe Angelo doesn't like Brown?
No way Steltz does anything at FS. My secret thought is that they drafted and will be grooming Bowman to play FS. Good size, great speed and leaping ability with the added of bonus as being a player with natural instincts.

LOL. I know the feeling, my youngest graduates this year.

And it never stops! They're always your kid, whether they're 2 or 50 years old. But hey, I really couldn't live without the nuckleheads I got! :dabears

I agree Steltz should be a SS. At the same time,

(1) Steltz indicated he was being considered at FS. It didn't appear it was his idea, but the staffs. Why would the staff mention this at all?

(2) Wasn't Mike Brown considered more of an in the box SS coming out of college? He didn't have the speed or range to play FS, or so the thought went, but FS is where he played.

I would not rule anything out w/ this staff. They also talked about DM at SS.

I agree Steltz should be a SS. At the same time,

(1) Steltz indicated he was being considered at FS. It didn't appear it was his idea, but the staffs. Why would the staff mention this at all?
It could easily have been as simple as them handing him the playbooks and telling him to learn both because you never know where you'll be needed.

(2) Wasn't Mike Brown considered more of an in the box SS coming out of college? He didn't have the speed or range to play FS, or so the thought went, but FS is where he played.
I think he was considered a FS out of college with questions about his speed. But, it was genarally thought that his instincts and playmaking ability would still place him in the FS skill-set.

I would not rule anything out w/ this staff. They also talked about DM at SS.
Amen to the 1st. On the 2nd, I think they were looking for a place DM didn't suck.

I would argue AP is not a 3rd down back. He is a better receiver than Benson, but I would argue Benson is a better runner, and frankly, I think Benson is a better blocker. AP freaking sucks as a blocker. AP is a special teams ace and #3 backup RB who was elevated higher than he ever should have been.

Benson might have the potential to be a better runner, but he also has more potential to just fall down. AP has more drive and gives more of a push to get up the pile. You might think CB is a better blocker, but the coaching staff doesn't. I'll take their word for it. I swear you're on Cedric bandwagon just to play devil's advocate.

You're arguing against yourself. We didn't draft Harrison to replace Dusty or Harris, we drafted him to replace the other defensive tackle who played with Philly, that we acquired from Buffalo, and just signed with Carolina (How can I remember all that and not his damn name!!!) We drafted Steltz to replace Arch & possibly D Manning. You just mentioned two players we drafted specifically to take the place of 2 guys we already had. We drafted Forte even sooner which means he REALLY doesn't like Cedric.

More importantly, do you think we'll carry 4 running-backs on the 53 man roster? There's no way in hell that happens IMO. Last year I believe we started the season with 5 safeties (Arch, Brown, McGowan, Payne, Manning) and 5 defensive tackles, (Adams, Harris, Dusty, the guy I can't remember, & Idonije.) Replace Arch with Steltz & what's his freak with Harrison. (We cut ties with Oshinowo today which further convinces me we're set at the spot.)

There's speculation we'll keep AP as a special teams ace, but I don't believe it. He's a lock to make the roster. We're talking about starting Forte. That leaves that 3rd spot between our 3rd rounder Wolfe, and the drunken boater who cried to his mommy over the weekend.

Come on. Obviously the team isn't thrilled w/ Benson. That's a news flash? Not only that, but there are also questions regarding his injury. But Angelo flat out said he was not happy w/ pretty much the entire offense. Are you going to sit there and say Angelo was happy w/ our OL play or QB play?

Sure Angelo's pissed with the entire offense, but during his "state of the union address" the only thing he promised was to bring in competition at running back. Heck, Jamal Charles & some other quality running backs were available in round 3. He didn't just want competition he wanted a replacement. You don't draft "competition" high in the 2nd round.

JA seemed happy enough with his QB's & offensive line after we drafted Williams.

IMO we wait & see what "Bust Benson" does in TC. If he continues to suck, he gone.