Rookies

Wesson44

In general, how much of an impact do you think the rookie class can make this season?

I think they can make a huge impact. We’re counting on Chris Williams to come in and compete and play really well. Matt Forte, from what we saw on film before he even came here and after he got here, he’s going to have an immediate impact as well. I think we’ll definitely have a role for Earl and he’ll see a lot of playing time. I think Kellen has a chance to come in in a defined role as well.

Williams - He will start at LT, but will struggle quite a bit this year. Sorry, but while I like him too, and love his future, rookie LTs are simply going to struggle. But he will start, and may play on par w/ Tait last year.

Forte - I still think Benson wins the starting job, but Forte will have a role, and significant role. He will be more than just a 3rd down back, and will see plenty of PT.

Bennett - I see him finishing stronger than he starts. I think he will see plays early on, but will not be a consistent weapon.

Harrison - #3 DT in a system that rotates 3 DTs.

Steltz - I do not believe he starts. He plays special teams this year, and maybe some sub packages.

Bowman - I see nearly no role this year. Too much depth at CB, and I am not sure whether we are willing to risk injury on teams.

Davis - Again, no role. He is not a good blocker. He can learn, but that takes time. I do not see what he would bring that Olsen/Clark would not. Special teams player.

Baldwin - Practice squad or nothing.

Adams - One of Adams/Barton make the team for the final OL spot. The other hopes to make the practice squad.

LaRoque - Maybe final LB spot if he can standout on special teams.

Monk - IR this year.

I don't know why everyone is so down on Chester Adams. I've watched him a UGA and was happy when we picked him up. He played tackle in the SEC. Now, he gets to slide inside; where he should be even better. Now, I know he's not the best pass blocker. But, he's a beast on the run and should be a very good upgrade over Metcalf immediately.

As far as other contributors, Williams is a no-brainer.

I can see Forte getting at least 10-12 carries a game

I had hoped that Bennett would perform better in mini camp. I'll say his impact will be minimal this year. I hope I'm wrong though.

Harrison may not start in front of Dusty. But, surely he'll be in the rotation that we use at DT.

I can see Steltz contributing immediately on ST and may come give McGowan a run for his money

I can see Bowman surprising some folks this year. With his speed, he's probably a lock for ST. He may even compete for the nickel/dime position this year.

Besides Adams, I think this will max out the contributions from the rookies in '08. Hopefully, I'm wrong on Monk though. I seen him play at AR. He has pretty good size and can give us an element that we don't have at WR right now.

I see Williams playing the entire year. Forte will get carries, but not significant carries. Bennett will play sparingly, fighting a log-jam at WR to get PT.

All others will play ST or ride the pine.

I see Williams playing the entire year. Forte will get carries, but not significant carries. Bennett will play sparingly, fighting a log-jam at WR to get PT.

All others will play ST or ride the pine.

If you're right on Forte, our running game will look very similar to last year's. I hope we'll have something closer to what we had at the peak when TJ/Ced were being used together.

IMHO, the three rookies to watch for PT are Forte, Harrison and Steltz.

Forte - IMHO, his number of carries depends on not just whether Benson steps up, but to what extent. Unless Benson breaks out like a top 5 draft pick, I think Forte will not only get carries, but a pretty significant number. I can see a situation where Benson gets 15-20 carries per game (again, if he steps up) and Forte gets 5-10 carries per game, w/ a few catches involved too. If Benson doesn't step up, Forte will carry the load.

Harrison - If he is half the player the staff talks about, then I can see him playing a lot. Going into camp, I think he and Dusty vie for the starting job. I think Dusty wins, but Harrison will still see a lot of action through rotation, especially on run downs.

Stelts - Camp will be key. IMHO, Steltz is either our starting SS or a special teams player. I do not see a ton of middle ground here. As high as many are on Steltz, I just do not see him starting. My hope is Payne steps up, but I think it more likely McGowan is our starting SS.

I don't know why everyone is so down on Chester Adams. I've watched him a UGA and was happy when we picked him up. He played tackle in the SEC. Now, he gets to slide inside; where he should be even better. Now, I know he's not the best pass blocker. But, he's a beast on the run and should be a very good upgrade over Metcalf immediately.

I think everyone would love for that, but for most fans, Adams is more of an unknown 7th round pick. The reality is, few 7th round picks even make the 53 man roster, much less are immediate starters their rookie season.

I think everyone would love for that, but for most fans, Adams is more of an unknown 7th round pick. The reality is, few 7th round picks even make the 53 man roster, much less are immediate starters their rookie season.

Understood. But, we're talking about the Guard position. I may be naive. But, I think he can contribute right away. Really, who else do we have? Metcalf? Beekman is backing up Olin. St. Clair is our swing tackle.

Unless we bring in a veteran, Chester is probably our guy. I don't think we'll be sorry for it. I've watched this kid. I think he's a good player. Georgia fans love him and always talk about how strong he is.

Williams - He will start at LT, but will struggle quite a bit this year. Sorry, but while I like him too, and love his future, rookie LTs are simply going to struggle. But he will start, and may play on par w/ Tait last year.

Forte - I still think Benson wins the starting job, but Forte will have a role, and significant role. He will be more than just a 3rd down back, and will see plenty of PT.

Bennett - I see him finishing stronger than he starts. I think he will see plays early on, but will not be a consistent weapon.

Steltz - I do not believe he starts. He plays special teams this year, and maybe some sub packages.

Bowman - I see nearly no role this year. Too much depth at CB, and I am not sure whether we are willing to risk injury on teams.

Davis - Again, no role. He is not a good blocker. He can learn, but that takes time. I do not see what he would bring that Olsen/Clark would not. Special teams player.

Adams - One of Adams/Barton make the team for the final OL spot. The other hopes to make the practice squad.

Monk - IR this year.

Joe Thomas?

Monk - IR this year.

Sounds about right. I think Williams, Davis, and Steltz will do better than expected.