Points of View, May 31, 2008

tshanno

Points of View, May 31, 2008

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=259

The Bears

The Chicago Tribune's David Haugh has a nice take on Brian Urlacher deciding to show up for mandatory workouts.

Showing up simply represents the best negotiating ploy for Urlacher, who still will be seeking a new contract Friday when he enters Halas Hall.

If he is cleared to participate fully in practice, this would give Urlacher a great opportunity to disprove any doubts about his back and surgically repaired neck. Nothing backs up Urlacher's words that he has recovered well from neck surgery and got in shape in Arizona than showing it on a practice field in Lake Forest.

More importantly in my mind, it shows hes still willing to be the team leader he needs to be for the Bears. You could argue that he's as valuable in that role as he is in the MLB role. And as he ages, that role will become a bigger and bigger part of his value.

A lot of people don't like Jay Mariotti of The Chicago Sun-Times. But give credit where credit is due. This is a pretty strong column.

Vaughn McClure of The Chicago Tribune pointed out in his article that Urlacher wasn't responding to the media with one words answers. Most of the time.

Brad Biggs reports that all were present and accounted for at the mini-camp, not just Urlacher. Something is wrong when younger guys like Devin Hester start using the phrase "I've out played my contract." I'm not sure why, because he has certainly performed. But it definitely struck and odd note when I read it.

Elsewhere

Here's a good blog entry from ESPN's Hashmarks blog on the rules for player negotiation and movement as the CBA contract negotiation progresses. It might be worth bookmarking.

Tampa Bay is now down to five QBs not counting Jake Plummer. The released Bruce Gradkowski.

Carolina HC John Fox is suggesting that he might actually shorten camp because of the new, effectively lower roster limits this summer.

The Jets have a QB competition going on that is interesting if for no other reason than its similar to the one the Bears have.

Chad Pennington is currently slightly behind Kellen Clemons though its early. What's of interesting here is that the QBs received an voluminous evaluation on their performance in 37 categories when they showed up for off-season workouts (literally a book).

Part of me admires the attention to detail. Part of me wonders if it will do any good to give them so much information. You could end up working on so many things at once that you correct nothing. But its interesting nevertheless.

Form Lions' RB Kevin Jones is using new OC Jim Colletto, who he believes was most responsible for his release, as motivation to rehabilitate his injured knee:

"Before I got let go, the weeks leading up to that, I would hear him on the Internet or on the Web site saying that, 'We need a back who can make people miss. We need a back who can take it the distance,' " Jones said of Colletto. "Well, I'm on the team. I'm the starting running back. He's basically saying you don't need me, you need somebody else. So I'm going to show him that I am that back, that I can do those things."

That's all good but flags went up when I got to this point:

"Jones said he has visited the Patriots and Titans, and he said he has received contract offers, but that none paid him as much as he thinks he's worth.'I'm not trying to break the bank, but I'm not about to go anywhere just to go, just because there's a team out there and I haven't gotten picked up yet,' Jones said. 'I know my worth. A lot of the teams know my worth, but they figure, 'OK, you're hurt right now. We'll bring you in.' They're just going to lowball you. But that's not happening with me.'"

I don't think Jones does know his worth. And if he keeps that attitude, he's not going to be showing Colletto anything because he's not going to be on a team.

Mike Sando from ESPN's Hashmarks blog tries to down play the significance of the comment but there's really no getting around the fact that the Arizona Cardinals are a cheap organization. Calvin Pace, who left to sign with the Jets, comments:

Pace said it wasn't the money -- or the helicopter ride from Long Island to the team's new training complex in Florham Park during his recruiting visit -- that made him chose the Jets over the Dolphins.

"It's the little things," said Pace, who spent his first five seasons in Arizona. "You don't need valet service. You just want people to show you it's all about trying to win. (The Jets) laid things out as far as yoga classes, the Pilates, training staff. Those are things I've never seen before in the NFL.

"Things like lunch and breakfast before you work out. I've never had that. (In Arizona), you had to eat before you came and it was your job to eat when you left."

One Final Thought

Says Broncos QB Jay Cutler, "If we go out and go 0-4, I'm going to get blamed for it whether I have diabetes or not."

At least Hester understands he needs to learn where to line up as a WR if he wants to get paid the big bucks.

As for Calvin Pace upset over the fact the Cardinals needed to feed him and give him yoga classes...that's a joke.

The problem with Hesters contract is that any other dominant returner has fallen off production wise before they were going to get big money as a returner. However, there would be teams out there that will be willing to pay Hester way more than the Bears would. He has carried our offense numerous time, but if he ever got on a team with a good offense like Indy, NE or San Diego, he would make a good offense almost unstoppable. Teams may be willing to kick it out of bounds if they dont respect our offense and are more worried about his return than they are giving our offense good field position. However, if he was on a team like Indy, no team is going to hand the ball to Manning and the offense near midfield every time.

The problem with Hesters contract is that any other dominant returner has fallen off production wise before they were going to get big money as a returner. However, there would be teams out there that will be willing to pay Hester way more than the Bears would. He has carried our offense numerous time, but if he ever got on a team with a good offense like Indy, NE or San Diego, he would make a good offense almost unstoppable. Teams may be willing to kick it out of bounds if they dont respect our offense and are more worried about his return than they are giving our offense good field position. However, if he was on a team like Indy, no team is going to hand the ball to Manning and the offense near midfield every time.

Hey I'm all for giving him a couple more million a year, but not a top wr contract.

Hey I'm all for giving him a couple more million a year, but not a top wr contract.

I agree. I think they should pay him comparable to a good number two receiver and have lots of incentive bonuses especially on offense. I dont think he would agree to it though. If we could make it where he only got that kind of money if he performed above average at WR then I wouldnt mind paying him top dollar.

I agree. I think they should pay him comparable to a good number two receiver and have lots of incentive bonuses especially on offense. I dont think he would agree to it though. If we could make it where he only got that kind of money if he performed above average at WR then I wouldnt mind paying him top dollar.

How about a million for every touchdown return!!!!!