Mulligan predicts Orton will start

Connorbear

name='Connorbear' date='May 31 2008, 11:40 PM' post='39756']

Very good article. I would be happy if it worked out this way.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...mully01.article

Peace :dabears

I predict Orton should start. For the reasons Mulligan stated and more. I simply think Rex has a hold on the staff. I really hope they give him a chance.

When Orton feels pressure he steps up in the pocket and makes a throw or throws it away. When Rex feels pressure he runs back 20 yards and either fumbles or takes a sack. That is why I want Orton to start.......

That has been my biggest knock on Grossman, when he's under pressure he retreats backwards. It's like he doesn't trust (not that I could blame him last year) that if he steps up there will be enough protection to get rid of the ball. The few times I've seen him step up it's worked for him but he's always seemed to have that tendency to back straight up. I'm guessing that with his history of injuries he doesn't want to get hit from behind. His overall pocket presence is what I want to see him improve on. I feel that as long as he can keep his cool in the pocket he has the tools to make all the necessary throws. To me this is the key to Grossman becoming that QB the Bears envisioned when they drafted him.

As long as the competition is fair and both have a truely equal shot and the best guy starts I'm cool with it. I actually like them both for different reasons. I just want one of the two to step up and win the job outright and then take the position over and show they can be the long term solution we've been looking for.

That has been my biggest knock on Grossman, when he's under pressure he retreats backwards. It's like he doesn't trust (not that I could blame him last year) that if he steps up there will be enough protection to get rid of the ball. The few times I've seen him step up it's worked for him but he's always seemed to have that tendency to back straight up. I'm guessing that with his history of injuries he doesn't want to get hit from behind. His overall pocket presence is what I want to see him improve on. I feel that as long as he can keep his cool in the pocket he has the tools to make all the necessary throws. To me this is the key to Grossman becoming that QB the Bears envisioned when they drafted him.

As long as the competition is fair and both have a truely equal shot and the best guy starts I'm cool with it. I actually like them both for different reasons. I just want one of the two to step up and win the job outright and then take the position over and show they can be the long term solution we've been looking for.

Agree BearFan2000. This is going to be THE season that decides Rex's future in the league. I wnat both to succeed. It would be great to have them do well this season and put the team and them on the spot contract-wise for 2009.

A key for me is I want the staff to let Orton truly play the offense. No more holding him back and asking him to dink and dunk. Open up the offense w/ him under center. I have no clue if he can do this, but I think he has to show his ability in an opened up offense in order to win the job.

IMHO, for most, I think it comes down to pocket presence, which can not always be seen on the stat sheet.

Rex simply doesn't seem to be able to see, much less feel the pressure. I have seen blitzed come right up the middle, in front of Rex, and he appears to not see the blitz until the last second. When the pressure is on the outside, it is worse. Orton simply seem more capable of seeing and sensing that pressure, and doing more than running backward to avoid it.

That does not mean Orton is a better QB. IMHO, he has plenty to prove. But that pocket sense is why I think many want to see more of Orton.

IMHO, for most, I think it comes down to pocket presence, which can not always be seen on the stat sheet.

Rex simply doesn't seem to be able to see, much less feel the pressure. I have seen blitzed come right up the middle, in front of Rex, and he appears to not see the blitz until the last second. When the pressure is on the outside, it is worse. Orton simply seem more capable of seeing and sensing that pressure, and doing more than running backward to avoid it.

That does not mean Orton is a better QB. IMHO, he has plenty to prove. But that pocket sense is why I think many want to see more of Orton.

The thing everybody brings up is that Rex does not step into the pocket but retreats under pressure. So obviously he sees it if he is retreating. Plus I think he got into some bad habits because of the pressure coming from the middle. Hard to step up when it it into pressure.

I just haven't seen Kyle do enough to annoint him this "pocket wizard". I have seen instances where he was rattled by pressure as well and thrown bad balls.

Still dont get the sense that Kyle has this amazing pocket sense where Rex does not.

The thing everybody brings up is that Rex does not step into the pocket but retreats under pressure. So obviously he sees it if he is retreating. Plus I think he got into some bad habits because of the pressure coming from the middle. Hard to step up when it it into pressure

I would argue part of the problem w/ Rex is that he see's the pressure so late, he has few options to to simply retreat. If you see or feel the pressure sooner, you have more options, but Rex doesn't seem to see or feel the pressure soon enough.

I just haven't seen Kyle do enough to annoint him this "pocket wizard". I have seen instances where he was rattled by pressure as well and thrown bad balls.

Hang on. I don't think anyone has called him a pocket wizard, only that he has shown more pocket presense than Rex. That may well be like saying he is the biggest guy in a room full of midgets. I have seen him get raddled, sure. But I have simply seen more out of him in this area than Rex. Now a QB can have all the pocket presense in the world, but if he doesn't have the rest of the game, it doesn't matter. Orton still has so much to prove. Key for me is, whenever he has been in the game, we have seemed to dumb down the offense and get more conservative. That is fine for a game or two, but I do not think we can go the entire year w/ this game plan. So for Orton to win the job, he has to show he can play in a more open offense.

Orton has plenty to prove, and you can even argue more than Rex. I have no idea whether or not he is capable. IMHO, most positive talk of Orton has more to do w/ negative feelings toward Rex, then sheer optimisim in Orton.

Orton has plenty to prove, and you can even argue more than Rex. I have no idea whether or not he is capable. IMHO, most positive talk of Orton has more to do w/ negative feelings toward Rex, then sheer optimisim in Orton.

Exactly how I feel, we really don't know if he can lead the offense or even throw down field for that matter because they always seem to turn into a pop warner offense when he is in there. But like I said before he seems to be smarter with they way he handles pressure, and this just might be because of his height advantage over Rex. Rex may see it so late because he can't see over his line.

Again, I still dont see how anybody thinks that Orton is so much better than Rex. Stats dont back that up.

I just hope one of them steps up from being mediocre.

Well, everyone thinks Orton is great and Rex blows.

In the end, Rex is still a better QB than Orton.

Well, everyone thinks Orton is great and Rex blows.

In the end, Rex is still a better QB than Orton.

I don't see anyone on here saying Orton is "Great" some of us just think that if given the chance to use a real offense he may work out better than Rex and be more consistent.

The thing everybody brings up is that Rex does not step into the pocket but retreats under pressure. So obviously he sees it if he is retreating. Plus I think he got into some bad habits because of the pressure coming from the middle. Hard to step up when it it into pressure

I would argue part of the problem w/ Rex is that he see's the pressure so late, he has few options to to simply retreat. If you see or feel the pressure sooner, you have more options, but Rex doesn't seem to see or feel the pressure soon enough.

Hang on. I don't think anyone has called him a pocket wizard, only that he has shown more pocket presense than Rex. That may well be like saying he is the biggest guy in a room full of midgets. I have seen him get raddled, sure. But I have simply seen more out of him in this area than Rex. Now a QB can have all the pocket presense in the world, but if he doesn't have the rest of the game, it doesn't matter. Orton still has so much to prove. Key for me is, whenever he has been in the game, we have seemed to dumb down the offense and get more conservative. That is fine for a game or two, but I do not think we can go the entire year w/ this game plan. So for Orton to win the job, he has to show he can play in a more open offense.

I know but I just wanted to throw out the term "pocket wizard". :lol:

I also agree with you that they get crazy conservative when Kyle is in. I too would like to see what Krazy Kyle can do with carte blanche.