Points of View, June 2, 2008

tshanno

http://chicagobearsfanforum.com/blog/?p=261

The Bears

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that WRs coach Darryl Drake believes the wide receivers are better this year even without Bernard Berrian and Muhsin Muhammad:

"There's a lot more explosion out here right now."

I want to believe...

Mike Mulligan, also of the Sun-Times has a fluff piece today on Devin Hester in which he says Hester needs to be paid. The part the stuck out to me were one or two comments from Drake like this one:

"He has as good a pair of hands as anybody. And then his natural ability to run after the catch is just unbelievable. He has not dropped a ball. Not one ball in any of these practices. Not just minicamp -- all of the OTAs. I don't have to tell him anything anymore. He's telling me stuff when I am screwed up. He has taken the time to study it. He has been in my office every day since the beginning ... he's just so far ahead right now it's unbelievable."

Think he likes him?

Its good to hear that he knows so much. I've never been all that impressed with what's in Hester's head on the field and I've wondered if he's got enough upstairs to play WR. Its not brain surgery, I know, but its more demanding than punt returns and Hester has had his share of mental errors in that department. They probably are going to ask him to read the occasional blitz and teams are going to try to confuse him if he starts playing out there regularly.

Dusty Dvoracek (hand) was held out for the third straight day. Is this guy ever healthy?

Elsewhere

Former Bear Muhsin Muhammad seems to be back in form in Carolina.

"I never was a guy with some blazing speed. I never had the speed like Randy Moss or Smitty," Muhammad said. "My game is all about technique and I think that is what keeps you in the league longer when you do get up there in age. If you are a guy who is fundamentally sound, you have great technique, run great routes and you know how to go get the ball, well, that is what this game is all about – being in the right places at the right times and making the plays."

I don't know about running great routes but this pretty much fits into what I always thought Muhammad was about. The Bears might miss him more than most fans think. Muhammad may have been singed in part to serve as mentor to younger Carolina receivers like Dwayne Jarrett, something he also did in Chicago.

One Last Thought

Both Biggs and The Chicago Tribune's David Haugh report that Mike Brown is allot like his old self:

"I guess you could say I'm surprised [to be back],"Brown said. "But I think the coaching staff and the guys that make the decisions upstairs know what type of football player I am when I'm healthy."

Brown shouldn't be surprised. He should never underestimate the value of veteran leadership. And neither should Brian Urlacher if he decides to go back and sit in Arizona.

name='Tom Shannon' date='Jun 2 2008, 04:07 AM' post='39798']

Mike Mulligan, also of the Sun-Times has a fluff piece today on Devin Hester in which he says Hester needs to be paid. The part the stuck out to me were one or two comments from Drake like this one:

"He has as good a pair of hands as anybody. And then his natural ability to run after the catch is just unbelievable. He has not dropped a ball. Not one ball in any of these practices. Not just minicamp -- all of the OTAs. I don't have to tell him anything anymore. He's telling me stuff when I am screwed up. He has taken the time to study it. He has been in my office every day since the beginning ... he's just so far ahead right now it's unbelievable."

Think he likes him?

Its good to hear that he knows so much. I've never been all that impressed with what's in Hester's head on the field and I've wondered if he's got enough upstairs to play WR. Its not brain surgery, I know, but its more demanding than punt returns and Hester has had his share of mental errors in that department. They probably are going to ask him to read the occasional blitz and teams are going to try to confuse him if he starts playing out there regularly.

The part that kills me is this...

"I don't have to tell him anything anymore. He's telling me stuff when I am screwed up."

If Darrell Drake has nothing left to teach a 2nd year reciever that scored a 14 on his Wonderlic, he does not deserve his next paycheck. I realize he's just trying to build him up but... I need to look back to see if he's quoted any about how great Mooses' hands are. I think NFO put out a post on every receiver brought in over the last few years that we haven't developed. Makes you wonder how hard these guys are pushed if they are babied in the media. I'd also think JA wouldn't want an assistant coach drumming up fan support for a player in potential contract negotiations.

The Bears

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that WRs coach Darryl Drake believes the wide receivers are better this year even without Bernard Berrian and Muhsin Muhammad:

I want to believe...

Not that hard to imagine, Tom , if you think about it. Berrian was a one trick pony and Moose was extremely overratted. You get some guys with something to prove, Booker, Lloyd, some guys that were already here with something to prove, Hester, Davis, Bradley, Hass, and some rookies who are trying to earn a spot, Monk, Bennett, and you get good competition. *

Think he likes him?

This is what kept him from claiming a position at Miami. He didn't have enough upstairs. So we will see....

Dusty Dvoracek (hand) was held out for the third straight day. Is this guy ever healthy?

Elsewhere

"I never was a guy with some blazing speed. I never had the speed like Randy Moss or Smitty," Muhammad said. "My game is all about technique and I think that is what keeps you in the league longer when you do get up there in age. If you are a guy who is fundamentally sound, you have great technique, run great routes and you know how to go get the ball, well, that is what this game is all about – being in the right places at the right times and making the plays."

I don't know about running great routes but this pretty much fits into what I always thought Muhammad was about. The Bears might miss him more than most fans think. Muhammad may have been singed in part to serve as mentor to younger Carolina receivers like Dwayne Jarrett, something he also did in Chicago.

One Last Thought

The Bears will not miss him at all. He talks about good technique, something he struggled with here. And is leading the league in drops, making plays? Carolina fans better hope he doesn't mentor their WR like he did here or they will end up with one burner and a bunch of mediocre guys.

One. If we had not signed Booker, as low as my opinion of Moose is, I might agree, but I do not believe Moose brought anything to the table that Booker can not/does not offer.

Two. I still disagree Moose did jack to mentor the younger bear WRs, and I would argue that if you take a look at the development process of the WRs we have had over the years, it does little to offer support to the idea Moose helped young Bear WRs develop. That isn't to say Moose was the reason they did not develop, only to argue against the idea his presence helped.

Of course we have more explosion on the field. Aside from Mark Bradley's exploding knees we've got a lot of guys that are faster than Moose. Berrian was fast but Moose was slow enough to fully counter that.

I don't think we're going to miss Moose in anyway except for his blocking on running plays...he was very good at that. Yet that's like praising the big man who is only good at taking up space in middle of the lane in a basketball game. In some ways it can help a team but it's not really what playing center is all about.

1) More explosion? I'll believe it when I see it. I remember tales of a double-TE formation last offseason, and countless other offensive upgrades/explosions/potency lies that were exposed in the season.

2) If Hester (someone not known for situational awareness) is telling the WR coach when he messed up, something tells me I shouldn't take the WR coach's recommendations or beliefs too strongly (see #1).

3) Dusty hurts my knees.

4) MuhMuh talks a big game, but the things he left out were "catching the ball" and "actually getting open"...neither of which were done at an all star level while with the Bears.

5) Mike Brown should not be surprised. He's a stud, and the team knew that. If he stays healthy, he is Bob Sanders before Bob Sanders became the name and earned the reputation. Mike Brown is a guy who is always in the right spot, hits with power, and finds a way to come up with turnovers more than any player I've ever seen.

The Bears

I want to believe...

Think he likes him?

Elsewhere

One Last Thought

Both Biggs and The Chicago Tribune's David Haugh report that Mike Brown is allot like his old self:

"I guess you could say I'm surprised [to be back],"Brown said. "But I think the coaching staff and the guys that make the decisions upstairs know what type of football player I am when I'm healthy."

Brown shouldn't be surprised. He should never underestimate the value of veteran leadership. And neither should Brian Urlacher if he decides to go back and sit in Arizona.