Bears envision ground game carrying offensive turnaround

DrunkBomber

Bears coach Lovie Smith said he believes in these events -- this one was held smack in the middle of the team's three-day mandatory camp. He sees them as a way of providing action behind his words. Most NFL teams chant we are family. Smith lives it. It was clear in the gentle, caring way that he engaged families during the event. In the extra moments he took to welcome all.

Smith has given his team a similar message and follow-up relating to its running game -- it will be back full-throttle for the 2008 season. He is selling it. He expects it bought.

"We talk around here about getting off the bus running the football, it is our philosophy, but we were not a good running team last year," Smith said of his recent 7-9 Bears. "We need to. We have to. We will.

"I am the first to admit it didn't happen. The fault starts with me. So, we admit it. Now we're not going to do a lot of talking about it. We're going back on the football field to work. We're a 7-9 team with some big hills to climb. We've climbed them before."

They climbed them after Smith's first season in Chicago, which finished with a 5-11 record. The next season his team was 11-5 and in the playoffs. Then 13-3 and in the Super Bowl.

But look no further than the running game disparity of the last two seasons to see where the Bears have been, where they are and where they must go.

In their Super Bowl season, the Bears averaged 119.9 rushing yards per game. Last season it was only 83.1. The average yards gained per carry went from 5.0 to 3.1. The rushing first downs sank from 103 to 74. The rushing attempts dropped from 503 to 423. The run-pass differential was plus 11 in passes during the Super Bowl season (503 runs/514 passes). It was plus 146 in passes last season (423/569).

"You're playing games here in Chicago in the winter where you can have heavy snow and winds gusting more than 50 miles per hour," Bears running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "If you look at any Bears season and the passes are way out of whack with the runs, that probably means we weren't very good."

This formula especially holds true for the Bears.

It is a franchise built in part on the foundation of Hall of Fame backs Gale Sayers and Walter Payton. This franchise will always seek a commitment to rushing excellence.

But with quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman battling for the starting spot, the question the Bears are often asked is if their quarterbacks are good enough to take heat off of the running game? In this instance, in today's game, must the pass preclude the run to make the run game thrive?

"Well, I believe in a running game and great defense and special teams," Smith said. "I believe in a running team that can pass. A defense that gets takeaways. A complete package in the run game: Wide receivers who block, offensive linemen who are committed, coaches who call the game well, us getting ahead in order to run. So many other factors.

"We have a group of running backs. We are going to use them all. But Cedric Benson is our starter. Someone has to beat him out."

Benson was drafted by the Bears as the No. 4 overall pick in 2005. He started 11 games last season before missing the final five due to an ankle injury. He replaced Thomas Jones, who was traded to the Jets in 2007 offseason. Smith said that the Bears missed Jones.

Benson, whose off-field incidents have overshadowed his on-field production, said that the Bears have not seen his best. But he insists they will.

"It means everything to have a head coach who is behind me," Benson said. "My first two years here I was behind Thomas Jones. Most of the time I just watched him work. I've got to take the heat for some things, though. Actually, I've taken a lot of heat -- but I'm not tripping. We had a bad year last year that led to some finger-pointing but ended in a good place, with everyone, including me, looking in the mirror. I've got three words for me this season: Real, nice and hard."

Fellow running back Adrian Peterson offered another three words for the entire group: "GET IT DONE."

Matt Forte will push for playing time as a rookie in Chicago.

Peterson is a six-year, all-around back from Georgia Southern. Garrett Wolfe is a second-year back who features quickness. Matt Forte is a rookie in from Tulane. And fullback Jason McKie blocks for them all.

So does a reshuffled and re-tooled offensive line, anchored by center Olin Kreutz and guard Roberto Garza.

The organization knows that Orton or Grossman must produce enough difference-making pass plays for the Bears to be a special team. Smith said both are battling for the starting job and likely will into the preseason.

"Right now they look like guys at the free throw line, shooting free throws, throwing the ball around here in shorts with no pressure in their faces, with no hits," Smith said. "I will do my evaluation when they get hit. I have told every one of our players that we are a 7-9 team. This is where you are. This is your role in the turnaround. Quarterbacks included."

Thus, in the Bears' world, the quarterbacks are an axle.

The running backs, the running game are the wheels.

Smith said his team gets it. He is excited about this team. He believes it is preparing for a special season. If it can continue to compete and remain healthy, Smith sees a bigger Bears reunion. An even bigger Family Day.

"We're a 7-9 team, one that finished in last place in our division," Smith said. "You're 7-9, it tests your character. You see what you got. I think our best football is ahead of us."

Everything Benson says leads me to believe he is never going to get it. Every time he talks about stuff like this he always manages to throw in something pointing blame elsewhere with some kind of half hearted plan for what he will do to turn it around. I think he will realize it goes a lot farther to let his play do the talking.

"You're playing games here in Chicago in the winter where you can have heavy snow and winds gusting more than 50 miles per hour," Bears running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "If you look at any Bears season and the passes are way out of whack with the runs, that probably means we weren't very good."

"Well, I believe in a running game and great defense and special teams," Smith said. "I believe in a running team that can pass. A defense that gets takeaways. A complete package in the run game: Wide receivers who block, offensive linemen who are committed, coaches who call the game well, us getting ahead in order to run. So many other factors.

The above statements tell it all. Being the RB coach, I understand Spencer being partial to the ground game, and I understand the importance of being able to run the ball when the weather is terrible. Still, he and Smith still don't get it.

In today's NFL, a passing team that can run the ball is much more likely to generate offensive points and win games than Bears' teams, where "the QB is the axle". In a given year there a maximum of only 3 or 4 games where the elements are so severe that the passing game can't be effective. Many times it's only 1 or 2. It's ridiculous to build a run-first team when it's only going to have an advantage 25% or less of the season. Until the team pulls it's butt into the 21 century; until it makes the QB the offensive wheel with the running game being the axle, there's little hope that the Bears will consistently challenge for the NFCN title.

Everything Benson says leads me to believe he is never going to get it. Every time he talks about stuff like this he always manages to throw in something pointing blame elsewhere with some kind of half hearted plan for what he will do to turn it around. I think he will realize it goes a lot farther to let his play do the talking.

I dunno. I liked what he had to say there in that quote.

I interpret what he said as ....... "It means alot to have a coach that believes in me and is willing to say so. My first two years I really wasn't as involved as I would have liked to have been. I've made mistakes and need to learn from them. In fact, there are alot of things that I need to work on, but it's not overwhelming. We had a bad year last year that led to some finger-pointing but ended in a good place, with everyone, including me, looking in the mirror. There are three things I need to focus on to have a successful season: 1. I need to approach things in a new way, and just focus on the details of what I'm doing at the time. 2. I need to work on my interpersonal relationships and work to be a leader of this team. 3. I need to maintain intensity so that I'm giving 110% effort at everything I do."

Take it for what it's worth, but I think that was a pretty insightful quote if you can translate the slang.

The above statements tell it all. Being the RB coach, I understand Spencer being partial to the ground game, and I understand the importance of being able to run the ball when the weather is terrible. Still, he and Smith still don't get it.

In today's NFL, a passing team that can run the ball is much more likely to generate offensive points and win games than Bears' teams, where "the QB is the axle". In a given year there a maximum of only 3 or 4 games where the elements are so severe that the passing game can't be effective. Many times it's only 1 or 2. It's ridiculous to build a run-first team when it's only going to have an advantage 25% or less of the season. Until the team pulls it's butt into the 21 century; until it makes the QB the offensive wheel with the running game being the axle, there's little hope that the Bears will consistently challenge for the NFCN title.

The Giants are a running team. They won the super bowl. Their qb only had a 73.9 rating.

Personally, I think you're embelishing his comments quite a bit. I really iwsh that was what he was intending to say...I just don't think that's the case.

I dunno. I liked what he had to say there in that quote.

I interpret what he said as ....... "It means alot to have a coach that believes in me and is willing to say so. My first two years I really wasn't as involved as I would have liked to have been. I've made mistakes and need to learn from them. In fact, there are alot of things that I need to work on, but it's not overwhelming. We had a bad year last year that led to some finger-pointing but ended in a good place, with everyone, including me, looking in the mirror. There are three things I need to focus on to have a successful season: 1. I need to approach things in a new way, and just focus on the details of what I'm doing at the time. 2. I need to work on my interpersonal relationships and work to be a leader of this team. 3. I need to maintain intensity so that I'm giving 110% effort at everything I do."

Take it for what it's worth, but I think that was a pretty insightful quote if you can translate the slang.

The Giants didn't give the Chargers Philip Rivers, their '04 3rd round pick, and their '05 1st and 5th round picks for Eli (and give him a huge contract) so they could be a running team that can pass. They expected Manning to be a superstar QB who would light the field up like his brother. Also, they passed quite a bit more than they ran in '07. 544 pass attempts versus 469 runs. I consider them to be a passing team who runs. At the least they have a balanced offense. JMO

Personally, I think you're embelishing his comments quite a bit. I really iwsh that was what he was intending to say...I just don't think that's the case.

That's what I think he's trying to say. What do you think he's trying to say? He's not particularly well spoken. The only thing I might have enhanced a bit was the part where he was talking about taking heat/ knew he had things that he needed to work on. That was shaded by him then commenting that it caused him to look in the mirror. That's implicit acknowlegement that he needs to improve in some areas.

I think he's "literally" misunderstood most of the time.

I am really not sure other that what he said as face value. I agree, he isn't well spoken. But I also feel he has had a selfish streak in the pasrt...and I really see nothing in his statments that make me think anything has changes signifcantly. And even if he meant those things...it's deeds not words in the end. Talk is cheap, and his actions will speak louder...whether they be bad or good. WHile I do look at his "mirror" comment as a step in the right direction...I'm not sure how genueine it is. He may have just been coached to say it. Or maybe he's grown up a bit. But until he proves otherwise, I'm going to assume we will get more of the same.

That's what I think he's trying to say. What do you think he's trying to say? He's not particularly well spoken. The only thing I might have enhanced a bit was the part where he was talking about taking heat/ knew he had things that he needed to work on. That was shaded by him then commenting that it caused him to look in the mirror. That's implicit acknowlegement that he needs to improve in some areas.

I am really not sure other that what he said as face value. I agree, he isn't well spoken. But I also feel he has had a selfish streak in the pasrt...and I really see nothing in his statments that make me think anything has changes signifcantly. And even if he meant those things...it's deeds not words in the end. Talk is cheap, and his actions will speak louder...whether they be bad or good. WHile I do look at his "mirror" comment as a step in the right direction...I'm not sure how genueine it is. He may have just been coached to say it. Or maybe he's grown up a bit. But until he proves otherwise, I'm going to assume we will get more of the same.

Well, if we simply go by things from the past, I've never seen any indication that he was coached on what to say (or listened to said coaching). So, if he was willing to be coached on what to say and WAS coached, THAT shows that he reconizes that he needs to do things differently. If he came up with that on his own, then THAT shows that he reconizes that he needs to do things differently.

I totally get the "doubting Thomas" approach, but geez, this is a sign of greater awareness no matter how you slice it.

I follow your logic and will concede that, at minimum, he has shown the ability to attempt to say the right things. Now, we will see if he can indeed DO the right things...

Well, if we simply go by things from the past, I've never seen any indication that he was coached on what to say (or listened to said coaching). So, if he was willing to be coached on what to say and WAS coached, THAT shows that he reconizes that he needs to do things differently. If he came up with that on his own, then THAT shows that he reconizes that he needs to do things differently.

I totally get the "doubting Thomas" approach, but geez, this is a sign of greater awareness no matter how you slice it.

IMO this is the first time I've ever heard Ced admit any culpability for things going wrong. That's a big step, the first step, to understanding how to improve. Yes it's only June and nobody is getting hit yet so this is all we have to go on. On it's own it's a good step forward and I like it. That's about all we ever get in June.

I basically think hes trying to say that while he is happy that the coaches are behind him now, he still thinks about the Thomas Jones situation. I dont think when he criticizes himself he doesnt mean what he is saying. I honestly believe in his head he doesnt think theres anything he would need to improve on. Ive heard enough of what Benson likes, dislikes, thinks of the offense and where he thinks he needs to improve. Hes reached the point in his career where he needs to get it done on the field period.

I basically think hes trying to say that while he is happy that the coaches are behind him now, he still thinks about the Thomas Jones situation. I dont think when he criticizes himself he doesnt mean what he is saying. I honestly believe in his head he doesnt think theres anything he would need to improve on. Ive heard enough of what Benson likes, dislikes, thinks of the offense and where he thinks he needs to improve. Hes reached the point in his career where he needs to get it done on the field period.

Ok dude. He's said nothing of meaning before. Now, he's admitting that he needs to do things differently by either action, or the acceptance of coaching.

I'm not guaranteeing that the change in attitude or approach means anything, I'm just saying that it's nothing we've seen before and are in uncharted waters. Different circumstances = perhaps different results.

Things are different. That's all I'm saying.

I gotta add that this article is the first time I can recall Lovie being directly critical of his team in a long time. A few quotes:

--------------------------------------------------

Smith has given his team a similar message and follow-up relating to its running game -- it will be back full-throttle for the 2008 season. He is selling it. He expects it bought.

"We talk around here about getting off the bus running the football, it is our philosophy, but we were not a good running team last year," Smith said of his recent 7-9 Bears. "We need to. We have to. We will.

"I am the first to admit it didn't happen. The fault starts with me. So, we admit it. Now we're not going to do a lot of talking about it. We're going back on the football field to work. We're a 7-9 team with some big hills to climb. We've climbed them before."

------------------------------------

The organization knows that Orton or Grossman must produce enough difference-making pass plays for the Bears to be a special team. Smith said both are battling for the starting job and likely will into the preseason.

"Right now they look like guys at the free throw line, shooting free throws, throwing the ball around here in shorts with no pressure in their faces, with no hits," Smith said. "I will do my evaluation when they get hit. I have told every one of our players that we are a 7-9 team. This is where you are. This is your role in the turnaround. Quarterbacks included."

---------------------------------------

Smith said his team gets it. He is excited about this team. He believes it is preparing for a special season. If it can continue to compete and remain healthy, Smith sees a bigger Bears reunion. An even bigger Family Day.

"We're a 7-9 team, one that finished in last place in our division," Smith said. "You're 7-9, it tests your character. You see what you got. I think our best football is ahead of us."

---------------------------------------

Ok dude. He's said nothing of meaning before. Now, he's admitting that he needs to do things differently by either action, or the acceptance of coaching.

I'm not guaranteeing that the change in attitude or approach means anything, I'm just saying that it's nothing we've seen before and are in uncharted waters. Different circumstances = perhaps different results.

Youre reading way too far into what Im saying and over analyzing it. Im just not interested in what he is saying. Ill believe him if he shows up to play. Since hes been here he hasnt taken responsibility for anything and just points fingers and wants things handed to him. We can sit here and try to read between the lines of everything he says but nobody here really knows. Which is why I will reserve judgment till the season. I think anyone skeptical of Bensons words or actions is very justified.

Youre reading way too far into what Im saying and over analyzing it. Im just not interested in what he is saying. Ill believe him if he shows up to play. Since hes been here he hasnt taken responsibility for anything and just points fingers and wants things handed to him. We can sit here and try to read between the lines of everything he says but nobody here really knows. Which is why I will reserve judgment till the season. I think anyone skeptical of Bensons words or actions is very justified.

Okay dude. You've lost ALL of my respect. But that's irrelevant I'm sure.

LT

Okay dude. You've lost ALL of my respect. But that's irrelevant I'm sure.

LT

I dunno if thats supposed to be in green or what, but if not, wow. Thats kind of an odd statement. Ive hated Bensons work ethic, attitude and toughness since hes been here. In my eyes he hasnt done anything to warrant me taking his word on anything so I dont think its unreasonable to be skeptical on these sudden changes he claims hes made. Id prefer to see him prove himself on the field instead of in an interview.

IMHO, we have seen numerous changes w/ Benson this year.

His quotes are not to the level that many fans want to hear. Unless Benson came out and said, "I have sucked. I have been a bust for this team. No one is to blame by myself. My time w/ the team is not over, and I will use whatever opportunities remain to prove myself". Short of this, I do not believe most fans would be satisified w/ anything he says, but also would add that no player would go to the point most fans want.

Benson did seem to be putting more on himself than I believe he has said in the past. That is a step. While I agree the the sentiment that he needs to backup whatever comments he makes, I would add that his actions on the field thus far do seem to support a turnaround.

By showing up to camp, he showed an obvious level of offseason conditioning he has not shown in the past. That is action supporting a turnaround. By all reports, he has been running faster and w/ more attitude in camp. That again, is action supporting a turnaround.

I agree we still need to see more, as he has not put the pads on, but I would argue that thus far, his actions have supported his turnaround comments. He simply needs to continue.

Youre right, Benson has changed...instead of driving a boat drunk it was a car. This is why you dont take his word for it...