Benson skips OTA workout, Bears to issue statement shortly

balta1701-A

Maybe carrying 4 running backs was a better idea than I thought. I still dont think the Bears will release him. If he keeps fighting this stuff they really cant justify it if he wins. Which he very well could.

Tank technically wasn't DUI on his last deal with the Bears, he only wound up at .072...but the Bears released him anyway and it was the right call, most likely because the Bears told him they wanted "NO more problems" or something like that.

If they told Benson they didn't want to hear about him being pulled over in the middle of the night after the last encounter, and he gets pulled over in the middle of the night...regardless of whether or not he did anything wrong, the team could pull the plug for him having refused to listen to them and for putting himself in a position where they didn't want him to be.

According to profootballtalk.com, he showed up and the sent him home:

BEARS TO BOUNCE BENSON?

Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2008, 4:32 p.m.

The initial reports were that Bears running back Cedric Benson failed to report for the continued voluntary Organized Team Activities in Chicago. As it turns out, Benson showed up, and the team sent him home.

“I know that he went to practice today and [coach] Lovie [smith] told him to go home,” Benson’s lawyer, Sam Bassett, told the Chicago Sun-Times. “I don’t know if it’s because of the publicity or because it’s a distraction, or if the Bears are trying to decide what to do. He’s just kind of waiting to see what they tell him and what they are going to require of him.

“His agent and business manager are doing some stuff with the Bears that I am not privy to. He knows the Bears may release him. He hopes they don’t. He knows he screwed up.”

The Bears are expected to comment on the matter later today.

There’s a conflict between the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the standard player contract regarding whether a team may release a player who has been arrested. Under the CBA, the maximum discipline that a team may impose is a four-game suspension without pay. Under the language of the standard individual contract, however, a player who engages in actions that bring disrepute to the club may be terminated.

Over the past year or so, several teams have cut players following arrests. Not a single grievance has been filed in response to these moves.

Benson is under contract for two more seasons. He is scheduled to earn a base salary of $820,000 in 2008.

Last year, the Bears promptly cut defensive tackle Tank Johnson after Johnson was arrested on suspicion of DUI in Arizona.

I hope they can him. This is a lost cause. I cringed a few years back when I heard the analysts calling Benson the "mini-Ricky Williams". I know they meant that given his talent and abilty shown while in Texas he could have been a VERY impressive RB. However, I had hoped he would not follow in his (Williams) footsteps with his personal life as he appears to have done.

Drop him, maybe Dallas would take him for a later round draft pick. Get a solid veteran RB in FA and let's get on with it.

Good bye Benson!!!!